Revival of the "What Music You Listening To?" Thread....

Remove this Banner Ad

[YOUTUBE]kmZ7V6DQNhg[/YOUTUBE]

Foot kickin' - finger clickin', leather slapping - hand clappin' -
hip bumpin' - music thumpin' - knee hitchin' - heel and toe -
floor scuffin' - leg shufflin' - big grinnin' - body spinnin' -
rompin' stompin' - pumpin' jumpin' - slidin' glidin' - here we go

Good to see that people other than me don't like the music of 2000's. While there is still some good music from this decade, most of it has been s**t.

I have realised that just about every crappy band that releases a song is popular for about 1-2 months. You know, song played non-stop on the radio, teenage girls think that it's the best band ever and you can't escape from it. Then a month or two later it's gone, almost as if the song was never released.

Panic at the Disco are a good example of this. I felt like tearing my hair out everytime I heard them on the radio or saw them on TV. All the teenage girls went crazy and I couldn't get away from them. Then a month later it all just stopped. I can't wait until the same happens to Pink, Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus.

It's funny because my dad has a great taste in music, (he got me into a lot of great bands like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Doors, The Beatles, ACDC, Metallica, Pink Floyd) whereas my mum is almost the exact opposite.

And don't even get me started on techno music!:mad:

I've given up on mainstream radio stations, you can't get any good music on them anymore. The only time I hear good music on the radio is on community radio stations like Triple R or 3PBS that play obscure bands that no one has ever heard of.

While the "doof doof" stuff you hear at clubs is rubbish, there is some excellent electronic music out there if you're prepared to keep an open mind.
some work is fantastic

Alot of it is terribly shitful

Good to see that people other than me don't like the music of 2000's. While there is still some good music from this decade, most of it has been s**t.

I have realised that just about every crappy band that releases a song is popular for about 1-2 months. You know, song played non-stop on the radio, teenage girls think that it's the best band ever and you can't escape from it. Then a month or two later it's gone, almost as if the song was never released.

Panic at the Disco are a good example of this. I felt like tearing my hair out everytime I heard them on the radio or saw them on TV. All the teenage girls went crazy and I couldn't get away from them. Then a month later it all just stopped. I can't wait until the same happens to Pink, Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus.

It's funny because my dad has a great taste in music, (he got me into a lot of great bands like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Doors, The Beatles, ACDC, Metallica, Pink Floyd) whereas my mum is almost the exact opposite.

I've given up on mainstream radio stations, you can't get any good music on them anymore. The only time I hear good music on the radio is on community radio stations like Triple R or 3PBS that play obscure bands that no one has ever heard of.

Funnily enough I actually like some of Pink's music. At least you can tell some work went into the lyrics and it's not all just "sausage factory" pap.

Nothing lifts a song like having a point or a point of view.

On mainstream radio...the OP was inspired by our local FM Kix 106 having their annual "best 2000" songs of all time countdown as voted by the listeners. At least 90% of the songs would never get a run on their, or any other stations playlist, these days.
At least 75% is late 70's,80's early 90's and is great music nearly everyone would at the least enjoy, if not get into bigtime.

You have to remember that some of us on here watched the birth of "punk" with the Saints and Pistols viewed the "first" ever "video clip" in "M's" "Pop Music" (you can argue this but it was the first made for TV Music Video on videotape) and remember the genesis of "rap".

From the birth of popular music there have been giants in every decade, some spanning decades, there have been landmark "one hit wonders" as well. Since the explosion in media though the general level of music quality and relevance has plummeted significantly with happy to program and promote absolute dross in the rush to fill air time on the expansive bandwidth.
This is evidenced by the proliferation of the "alt" tag being added to any and everything in an attempt to categories much of the drivel.

One fine example a "genre" co-opting a label in an attempt to find some sort of credibility and validity id "R&B".
The formulaic, nasal, computer enhanced s**t which is commonly termed "R&B" on FM now is so far from quality music from which it hijacked the name as to be farcical and is so far removed as to be unrecognisable.

Hate the crap with a passion.

While the "doof doof" stuff you hear at clubs is rubbish, there is some excellent electronic music out there if you're prepared to keep an open mind.

Kraftwork, Georgio Moroda......

Every genre has it's worthy examples.

Some genre are overwhelmingly populated with of crap though.

Hip Hop
R&B
RAP
Techno

All have fine, quality examples but.................
It is just too easy to produce and the offerings are too willingly accepted and given airtime.

The Macdonalds/KFC of music........

I have to live at home right now and have an 18 year old sister who continuously listens to Beyonce, Pink, Black Eyed Peas, Lady Gaga, all those gay Simple Plan type whiny little gaybo bands, and everything else that is just awful.

Continuously blaring Fox and Nova on the radio. It's just terrible. She just doesn't understand.

I have to live at home right now and have an 18 year old sister who continuously listens to Beyonce, Pink, Black Eyed Peas, Lady Gaga, all those gay Simple Plan type whiny little gaybo bands, and everything else that is just awful.

Continuously blaring Fox and Nova on the radio. It's just terrible. She just doesn't understand.

You'll have to make her see the "acoustic" advantage in using earphones...:D

Funnily enough I actually like some of Pink's music. At least you can tell some work went into the lyrics and it's not all just "sausage factory" pap.

Nothing lifts a song like having a point or a point of view.

On mainstream radio...the OP was inspired by our local FM Kix 106 having their annual "best 2000" songs of all time countdown as voted by the listeners. At least 90% of the songs would never get a run on their, or any other stations playlist, these days.
At least 75% is late 70's,80's early 90's and is great music nearly everyone would at the least enjoy, if not get into bigtime.

You have to remember that some of us on here watched the birth of "punk" with the Saints and Pistols viewed the "first" ever "video clip" in "M's" "Pop Music" (you can argue this but it was the first made for TV Music Video on videotape) and remember the genesis of "rap".

From the birth of popular music there have been giants in every decade, some spanning decades, there have been landmark "one hit wonders" as well. Since the explosion in media though the general level of music quality and relevance has plummeted significantly with happy to program and promote absolute dross in the rush to fill air time on the expansive bandwidth.
This is evidenced by the proliferation of the "alt" tag being added to any and everything in an attempt to categories much of the drivel.

One fine example a "genre" co-opting a label in an attempt to find some sort of credibility and validity id "R&B".
The formulaic, nasal, computer enhanced s**t which is commonly termed "R&B" on FM now is so far from quality music from which it hijacked the name as to be farcical and is so far removed as to be unrecognisable.

Hate the crap with a passion.

R&B is absolute garbage. The radio is filled with it, I bloody hate it! It's a shittier version of rap music.

I used to be a big rap fan when I was younger, now it's rubbish. When I was growing up rap was at its best. Classics like: 2Pac, Notorious B.I.G, Gang Starr, Public Enemy, Common, Rakim, NWA, Run DMC and Mobb Deep. Now all there is is crap like Soulja Boy, Akon, Flo Rida and Lil Wayne. It is very rare that I find any new rap music that I like.

Ok, that's enough of my rant.:p I'll add to this thread with these:

[youtube]zHz7Y1zevdo[/youtube]
A nice blend of rap and rock, one of my favourites.

[youtube]xz7Y8H38GC8[/youtube]
Close to my favourite rap song. Intense song, gets me pumped up. This song was also in one of my favourite movies, 8 Mile. Listen to it!:thumbsu:

Gang Starr are a massively underrated rap duo. I hardly ever see them on best rapper lists. DJ Premier is a fantastic producer, I don't think I have ever heard an instrumental from him that I didn't like. Guru is a great rapper with a nice relaxed delivery. Just like DJ Premier, I don't think I have ever heard a track from him that I didn't like.

I have to thank my dad for getting me into Gang Starr. My dad doesn't like rap music much but he has always loved Gang Starr. I had never heard of them but he had told me about them. So on my 13th birthday he got me their greatest hits CD, Full Clip: A Decade of Gang Starr. I instantly loved their music.

You Know My Steez is one my favourite Gang Starr tracks
[youtube]5sCScvK61y0[/youtube]

Moment Of Truth is a serious, inspiring Gang Starr song. Absolutely love it.:thumbsu:
[youtube]N2ZuH93Dmz8[/youtube]

That's enough for now.

I know how you feel. Before I moved out my sisters were the same. I used to either blast my music out in response or put headphones on and turn it up full blast.:thumbsu:

Rap Rock fusion par excellence............
[YOUTUBE]RZ5SVDYBNrY[/YOUTUBE]

Grand Master Flash:thumbsu:

The whole rap scene can be summed up by the fact that the Beasty Boys were a Pisstake outfit who were parodying rap and yet they ended up being accepted as mainstream rap with their "pisstake" simply going straight over their audiences heads...LOL

"No Sleep til bedtime.......hahahahah"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kraftwork, Georgio Moroda......

Every genre has it's worthy examples.

Some genre are overwhelmingly populated with of crap though.

Hip Hop
R&B
RAP
Techno

It is just too easy to produce and the offerings are too willingly accepted and given airtime.

The Macdonalds/KFC of music........

I'm going to have to pull you up on that.

It's hell of a lot easier for me to go out and play some chord variations and sing while my friend plays the drums than it is for me to produce anything to do with the 4 genres you mentioned.

That said, yes there is a ton of crap out there. But rock/pop/whatever else is no different. To find good music in any genre you're going to have to do a little bit of work.

Hip-Hop especially, if you know where to look, has been a LOT stronger in the last decade than in the 90's. It's not even comparable. Only it's become very polarised, where you're either producing to make money or you're producing to make music.

p.s. I can absolutely smash Cult of Personality on guitar hero.

That's why you've got to do a bit of legwork and actually find the good music that isn't being fed to you on the radio.

I'm going to have to pull you up on that.

It's hell of a lot easier for me to go out and play some chord variations and sing while my friend plays the drums than it is for me to produce anything to do with the 4 genres you mentioned.

That said, yes there is a ton of crap out there. But rock/pop/whatever else is no different. To find good music in any genre you're going to have to do a little bit of work.

Hip-Hop especially, if you know where to look, has been a LOT stronger in the last decade than in the 90's. It's not even comparable. Only it's become very polarised, where you're either producing to make money or you're producing to make music.

p.s. I can absolutely smash Cult of Personality on guitar hero.

Music is very easy to make. Almost anyone who can operate a digital recording device can make it even with a few old tins and a spring.

When I say produce I mean in the production, clean up, enhancement sense.

Many an "outfit" (because they cannot in my mind be termed bands) can not only not "play" live period but some cannot even reproduce the same "studio" performance twice such is the reliance on the sampling, digitisation and "production" process.

Just for the record my brother is a very accomplished musician, playing a dozen or so instruments but mainly guitar but also piano, any keyboard and drums to a studio standard. He has been a professional musician for 25 years and he is flabbergasted how simple it is to cut a song on his home computer with a few add ons.

Multi million dollar studio quality recording from the 60's, 70' and 80's are available for less than $10,000.00 in any spare room on the planet as long as you have electricity.

When I say produce I mean in the production, clean up, enhancement sense.

Fair enough. In hip-hop "production" is a blanket term that refers to the creation of beats, clean-up, everything...basically everything other than the actual MC.

Many an "outfit" (because they cannot in my mind be termed bands) can not only not "play" live period but some cannot even reproduce the same "studio" performance twice such is the reliance on the sampling, digitisation and "production" process.

Not sure what you mean by this...the samples would all be queued up on the PC, so wouldn't be that hard just to click play again ;)

Just for the record my brother is a very accomplished musician, playing a dozen or so instruments but mainly guitar but also piano, any keyboard and drums to a studio standard. He has been a professional musician for 25 years and he is flabbergasted how simple it is to cut a song on his home computer with a few add ons.

Multi million dollar studio quality recording from the 60's, 70' and 80's are available for less than $10,000.00 in any spare room on the planet as long as you have electricity.

That's all fair enough.

But there's a difference between some random making a song to up to YouTube or a professional high-quality hip hop producer.

It's easy to dismiss sampling, but to do it to a high standard requires a ridiculous knowledge of obscure music, the ability to recall said music when needed, understanding of how to splice different sorts of music together, etc...

In terms of just the edit/clean-up stage, it's all pretty easy regardless of genre, just depends on the budget.

Easy to simply to replay the end result, but put them in front of the same PC a month later with the exact same samples and they cannot come up with the same result again.

It's not new, but I've been hammering the Black Angels' album Passover. It's psychedelic rock, kinda like Dead Meadow, but better IMO.

Grabbed this last night, good stuff. :thumbsu:

For anyone looking for some new Hip-Hop, Qwel & Maker - So Be It is a terrific album, released last month.

Easy to simply to replay the end result, but put them in front of the same PC a month later with the exact same samples and they cannot come up with the same result again.
That's why Pro-Tools lets you save every single setting you use, down to individual settings for each input if you're using a digital mixing desk, though you need to save the mixing details seperately for some effects.

I could produce a track with 10 instruments and mics, levels that change throughout the song, compression effects and a near endless string of looped samples and effects, save that in Pro-Tools, and then hook up equivalent (but different) equipment in a different studio and through the song, the sliders on the mixing desk would move exactly the same way, so as long as the musicians and performers were performing at the same tempo, you'd get the same result.

If you tried to set it all up and then re-set it all from scratch on a second occasion, it'd be impossible, but that's like asking a painter to recreate a portrait that's identical down to the brush stroke.

You'd never get two completely identical performances out of two guitars, a vocalist and a set of drums either, no matter how hard you tried. There'd always be a slight difference in a beat here or there, or in the intonation of the vocalist's voice, etc. If your standard was that every single string must be struck in the exact same way the second time around, then nobody has ever managed that.

The complexity of production that's going into modern electronic and hip-hop music is far in excess of what was being done in the past, due to the massive scope of what modern production technology can accomplish.

In the past, you'd record the instruments, and then do the production on the track - Now, depending on the musical style, the production ranges from as complex as the instrumentation to significantly more complex than the instrumentation.

It's comparing apples to pumpkins - There's basically no point in comparing the production of music across time and genres.

^^^^ reminded me of my younger days....

[youtube]3Zz1gOIxHPE[/youtube]

Ohhhhh sheeeeeeeeeet and I had the hair as long as that ummmmmm and a white denin jacket and white bell bottom jeans..........

Ahhhh what the hell it was 35-40 years ago

Remove this Banner Ad

Back