Revival of the "What Music You Listening To?" Thread....

Remove this Banner Ad

Love Zeppelin, best band in the world....of all time
I find myself going back to their music every few years, it blows me away, every time
I'm stuck on repeat with How Many More Times - an unbelievable combination of Page and Bonham, one of both their best contributions.

Timeless.
Here's a little story which will bore the crap out of anyone reading this but I feel like telling it anyway.
When I was very young, early 80's, my brother, the son of a good friend of the family who was older than us and who we looked up to and I were siting on the beach in Mornington and talking about music.
He was a big Pink Floyd fan as was my brother and I but my favorite band at the time. and who I still love was AC/DC.
Anyway this friend of the family said to me and for some reason I never forgot it. He said "You know Otto. the difference between a band like Pink Floyd and AC/DC is that in 3 or 4 years time AC/DC will disappear and be forgotten but Pink Floyd will be around and famous for decades to come"
I reckon he underestimated AC/DC.

You have to listen to this Album completely stoned as I did many times in my youth
Tried ll that when I was a kid and it just didnt do it for me. This is a very regular listen for me, and it doesn't seem to matter what state I'm in. Its still brilliant.

Does anybody else not get the Pink Floyd hype? They always seemed dull and boring to me, and I thought the more I'd listen to their 60's and 70's competitors, eventually I'd enjoy them but that never happened.

Money is my favourite song by them though. Great track.
Were you listening to them straight or stoned. Makes a big difference

Floyd is fine sober.
Though the Wall is best listened to under the influence of your favourite vice.
Saw Dark Side performed live by Waters at Rod Laver several years ago.
Never thought I would see that live, was excellent.
I saw that show also. It was brilliant. Also saw him do "The Wall" tour here a few years back, but the Dark Side show was definately my favourite of the two. Have a ticket to see the "Us and Them" show coming up soon. Cant wait.

I saw that show also. It was brilliant. Also saw him do "The Wall" tour here a few years back, but the Dark Side show was definately my favourite of the two. Have a ticket to see the "Us and Them" show coming up soon. Cant wait.
Saw the Wall show as well.
As you say though, the Dark Side eclipsed it.........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recently saw Peter Hook, the former bassist with Joy Division and New Order, perform their songs for about 3 hours. All performed with energy and competence.

Of concern was the mosh pit. Thirty or so sexagenarians, with deflated deltoids and frayed pony tails, bumped into each other. Eventually one of their cohort was lifted in the air. Instead of surfing the crowd, the poor devil fell face first to the grog-slimed floor because his comrades could not bear his weight.

Last edited:
I’m seeing The Tempations at the Sofitel in Melbourne in December. Shouting my sister for her 70th birthday. I’d normally run a mile from something like this, a 'nostalgic' show with old men with dyed hair, fake teeth, the whole catastrophe. Not even sure if the original band is still alive! They could be one of those franchise bands, or like the Grateful Dead, with only one or two original members. Still, I'm expecting (hoping for) a good show, if not neccessarily good music.

Last edited:
I’m seeing The Tempations at the Sofitel in Melbourne in December. Shouting my sister for her 70th birthday. I’d normally run a mile from something like this, a 'nostalgic' show with old men with dyed hair, fake teeth, the whole catastrophe. Not even sure if the origunal band is still alive! They could be one of those franchise bands, or like the Grateful Dead, with only one or two original members. Still, I'm expecting (hoping for) a good show, if not neccessarily good music.

I've often wondered what it's like to go to one of those kinds of gigs. I usually anticipate that they've got a really hot band playing for them though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back