Revival of the "What Music You Listening To?" Thread....

Remove this Banner Ad

Glad that you included Thriller. While there were a world of issues with Michael Jackson, he was a hugely talented song writer and performer, and Thriller was a breakthrough album. Another flawed genius.
He was a genius, despite his issues. He and Prince are probably two of my 'guilty pleasures'

Hey guys CFC2010 just sent me a message asking me if I could post his top 5 albums. Apparently he doesn't have access to the internet at the moment so asked if I wouldn't mind posting it for him.

1. Faith - George Michael
2. Middle of Nowhere - Hanson
3. Kissing to be clever - Culture Club
4. Arrival - ABBA
5. Purpose - Justin Bieber

Hey guys CFC2010 just sent me a message asking me if I could post his top 5 albums. Apparently he doesn't have access to the internet at the moment so asked if I wouldn't mind posting it for him.

4. Arrival - ABBA
Quality list. Although some would argue No 4 is a little low for ABBA Arrival

4. Arrival - ABBA

This noble thread has been defiled.

My original copy of the Meat Beat Manifesto Australian Tour CD was nicked at some point, but I recently managed to get another copy. Great to have it in my hands again.

My top 5 albums of all time.

Nirvana - In Utero
Beck - Mellow Gold
Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
Nirvana - Bleach
Beatles - Revolver
Very fine list of five.

Inspires me to do my favourite 5 albums.
With these rules, only one album per artist.
No compilations (best of / greatest hits).*

• The Wild the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle. (Bruce Springsteen)
  • Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. (The Beatles)
  • Imagine. (John Lennon)
  • Exodus. (Bob Marley)
  • Dr Boondinga and the Big BW. (Fat Freddy’s Drop)

* if compilations were allowed, I’d have The John Lennon Collection and Legend (Bob Marley) replacing their singular works as my favourites. They are basically the two compilations I really like heaps.

And for the best seven albums as works of art and genius I’ve heard. No restrictions.

• Born to Run (Bruce Springsteen)
  • The Wild the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle (Bruce Springsteen)
  • Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (The Beatles)
  • The John Lennon Collection (John Lennon)
  • Legend (Bob Marley)
  • Revolver (The Beatles)
  • Rubber Soul (The Beatles)

Very fine list of five.

Inspires me to do my favourite 5 albums.
With these rules, only one album per artist.
No compilations (best of / greatest hits).*

• The Wild the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle. (Bruce Springsteen)
  • Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band. (The Beatles)
  • Imagine. (John Lennon)
  • Exodus. (Bob Marley)
  • Dr Boondinga and the Big BW. (Fat Freddy’s Drop)

* if compilations were allowed, I’d have The John Lennon Collection and Legend (Bob Marley) replacing their singular works as my favourites. They are basically the two compilations I really like heaps.

And for the best seven albums as works of art and genius I’ve heard. No restrictions.

• Born to Run (Bruce Springsteen)
  • The Wild the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle (Bruce Springsteen)
  • Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (The Beatles)
  • The John Lennon Collection (John Lennon)
  • Legend (Bob Marley)
  • Revolver (The Beatles)
  • Rubber Soul (The Beatles)

Cant agree with you on compilations, SV. While they might deliver you a collection of favourite songs - mainly hits - they are lacking the 'hand' of the artist, or the artistry that goes into the original album, with the artist's selection and arrangement of songs. I know I sound a bit wanky, but I always listen to albums from beginning to end, in their totality.

But compilations are good for parties!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cant agree with you on compilations, SV. While they might deliver you a collection of favourite songs - mainly hits - they are lacking the 'hand' of the artist, or the artistry that goes into the original album, with the artist's selection and arrangement of songs. I know I sound a bit wanky, but I always listen to albums from beginning to end, in their totality.

But compilations are good for parties!
You are correct ofcourse.
Compilations are just a collection, hence I tried doing without them as a list.

I also listen start to finish as that’s the whole work in its entirety by the artist.

When I was a lot younger I loved Compilation Albums because I thought I was getting better value, but as I got older I took the same view as Vicky Park, the actual Album tells a story which is missing in Compilations

When I was a lot younger I loved Compilation Albums because I thought I was getting better value, but as I got older I took the same view as Vicky Park, the actual Album tells a story which is missing in Compilations
This is correct.

In fact I only really like two compilations for the flow etc.

But mostly they are quite average: Springsteen’s greatest hits CD, it’s so average as misses the thematic link.

This is correct.

In fact I only really like two compilations for the flow etc.

But mostly they are quite average: Springsteen’s greatest hits CD, it’s so average as misses the thematic link.
The Boss is a classic example, compare his very early Height Ashbury stuff (before his voice and contract problems) with say, Glory Days and you would think they were two totally different people

The Boss is a classic example, compare his very early Height Ashbury stuff (before his voice and contract problems) with say, Glory Days and you would think they were two totally different people
Yes.

He has long term always tried to improve his craft.

His early work, the first seven albums in Particular is his great works. You can throw in The Ghost of Tom Joad, and those are his particular greater works.

Sorry to be picky... Asbury Park... the other place is on the other side of the country. And Bruce is great no matter the time and place...

Anyone else enjoy listening to Twenty One Pilots? I've really enjoyed listening to their whole back catalogue with my kids last year.

Yeh I brought their last cd because I loved the song 'stressed out', the rest of the CD was surprisingly good as well and received a lot of playtime in my car, I am no spring chicken either but I still enjoy all kinds of music

From their older stuff my favourite song is "Car Radio", it is probably my favourite song of theirs actually

Remove this Banner Ad

Back