Revival of the "What Music You Listening To?" Thread....

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't posted in here for a while. Found this song recently and really enjoyed it. Cool use of the double bass, banjo and amazing voices.

Watch "The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company [Official Music Video]" on YouTube

Haven't posted in here for a while. Found this song recently and really enjoyed it. Cool use of the double bass, banjo and amazing voices.

Watch "The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company [Official Music Video]" on YouTube

Thx Q. Playing the double bass like a guitar! I'd heard of these guys but not got around to looking them up, but will now. I'm a sucker for anything with a country twang. Love the low budget vid too. :thumbsu:

Thx Q. Playing the double bass like a guitar! I'd heard of these guys but not got around to looking them up, but will now. I'm a sucker for anything with a country twang. Love the low budget vid too. :thumbsu:

I really like the clip too!

Listen to Robert Plant's voice, this was 2012....the guy is amazing

Seen him twice since 2012 and been disappointed both times. Think the voice is failing him now.

Is that a double bass? Looks more cello in terms of size but I just don't know if the size matters (queue puns & witty repertoire).

Is that a double bass? Looks more cello in terms of size but I just don't know if the size matters (queue puns & witty repertoire).

Yeah got it wrong it's a cello. It's not the size that matters it's what you do with it.

I just discovered this song and this song writer. I think I relate a little too much to this song haha. Also how's the energy in the performance. Leaves nothing behind.

Watch "Cold Beer (Cry Tunes) - Jesse Stewart" on YouTube

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And another one. He leaves nothing behind thats for sure. Hows the hand shake drinking a beer at the end. Holy!

Watch "Jesse Stewart Marauder" on YouTube

He reminds me of Shane Macgowan (Pogues) for some reason. Maybe its the rawness and the passion, and the look of ill health (half joking). He's certainly out there.

I would be interested in people's opinions of this guy/song. I met Max this year in Battambang, Cambodia, a 55 yr old American who has been living in the country, mainly Phnom Penh for 5 years. He is bipolar, but I thought the style and lyrics of his many original songs interesting. But I am wondering if it's just me and the circumstances of our meeting and friendship. This is from a 20 minute jam session with the bass player (a 'vegan-bar' owner) and the Filipino 'drummer' (local sausage man but also a solo performer/guitarist). The song 'Vicki Logan's dead' is about an ex girlfriend who suicided. I thought he was pretty good for someone playing and living in the middle of nowhere. This was recorded on my crappy little iphone 5 with lots of background noise and fairly basic sound equipment. Be kind!

Last edited:
I would be interested in people's opinions of this guy/song. I met Max this year in Battambang, Cambodia, a 55 yr old American who has been living in the country, mainly Phnom Penh for 5 years. He is bipolar, but I thought the style and lyrics of his many original songs interesting. But I am wondering if it's just me and the circumstances of our meeting and friendship. This is from a 20 minute jam session with the bass player (a 'vegan-bar' owner) and the Filipino 'drummer' (local sausage man but also a solo performer/guitarist). The song 'Vicki Logan's dead' is about an ex girlfriend who suicided. I thought he was pretty good for someone playing and living in the middle of nowhere. This was recorded on my crappy little iphone 5 with lots of background noise and fairly basic sound equipment. Be kind!

There's something good going on there, TGG. Reminds me of Joy Division, the tortured Ian Curtis thing.

Last edited:
Apples 76woodenspooners cliffdrabble do you have any classical contributions you could recommend/add?

Gustav Holst’s ‘Mars’ - it’s part of his ‘The Planets’ suite.

Imagine going into a prelim final listening to this ... it makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up!

Last edited:
Gustav Holst’s ‘Mars’ - it’s part of his ‘The Planets’ suite.

Imagine going into a prelim final listening to this ... it makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up!

That's awesome. Sounds like it's from Star Wars. I can imagine it getting played as the rebellion is preparing some last ditch heroics. Interesting time early 20th century. Just as WW1 was kicking off. Has that feeling of war and battle to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back