Club History Rewriting History Because SANFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I no longer want us to leave the SANFL now we have our reserves there. It's a good testing ground for our draftees, maintains a connection to our past and the intensity and hatred our players face is far better preparation for the AFL than pointless reserves games would be.
Playing Collingwood reserves at an empty Holden Park is nowhere near as useful as playing a packed out Norwood on a Friday night.
Agree with you for now. But already they want to bring in a capping of AFL listed players, us not to have home games and I'm sure some other idiotic ideas.
Be interesting to see where it all sits in five years. Can't see us moving before the 150 celebrations anyway.

There are SANFL fans out there that pretend any game involving AFL reserves sides don't exist and then make up an 8 team ladder based off the all the SANFL team vs SANFL team games.

I wonder if Norwood fans did the same thing in 2013 when Matt Thomas and Mitch Grigg won them a premiership?

If those two had done a better job washing Ken and Our Sando's cars, Norwood probably don't get near a flag that year. But at least the competition wasn't compromised back then.

Last edited:
current arrangement is the best arrangement we could have. Even the SANFL attempts at hobbling the team by restricting players we can recruit has worked in our favour by forcing us to use our squad.

Favour us? By having to play AFL listed people in the SANFL Reserves?

It works when we have an injury list, but if everyone is fit then each week a few have to miss out.

The current arrangement is just passable. If they make it worse it's untenable.

So in this alternate future does Marty McFly's family exist?

back-to-the-future-II-doc.jpg

They're hell bent on focussing on records attributed to PAFC now that we use the SANFL as an AFL reserves structure, but have no issue with Centrals playing in 11 straight grand finals at a time that Westies, Sturt and Norwood were having their best young players getting picked up by AFL clubs. It's laughable.

I would actually have no issue with PAFC SANFL records being stopped at the time we become OneClub. The history doesn't change. Anything we do manage to win under the one-arm-tied-behind-your-back regime should be seen as a reserves grade premiership, as per the true status of the SNAFL.

Last edited:
I no longer want us to leave the SANFL now we have our reserves there. It's a good testing ground for our draftees, maintains a connection to our past and the intensity and hatred our players face is far better preparation for the AFL than pointless reserves games would be.
Playing Collingwood reserves at an empty Holden Park is nowhere near as useful as playing a packed out Norwood on a Friday night.
"Packed out"...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Agree with you for now. But already they want to bring in a capping of AFL listed players, us not to have home games and I'm sure some other idiotic ideas.
Be interesting to see where it all sits in five years. Can't see us moving before the 150 celebrations anyway.

Exactly whose 150th would we be celebrating in the effing SANFL post this record change?

What this pathetic little act says is that the rotting corpse of the Magpies finally died - the bloodline was extinguished by - the events of 2010/2011 and a new zombie entity was raised up in its place wearing its clothes. "Not a re-unification at all. You clowns at Port gave up the last shares of your joint SANFL assets for nothing na na na na". To paraphrase said SANFL historian.

Bit cerebral - and over generous - of us to celebrate a 150th that only happened in a parallel universe. Well in spite of the SANFL's best efforts a 150th *will* happen, but with our new, not perfect, but infinitely less abusive partner for life, the AFL. Someone prepared to grow with us a little, rather than keep us in a dungeon and...

You know... the idea that we'd do anything FOR the SANFL to do with our 150th ... it would be like Josef Fritzl's daughter inviting him to her wedding.

Right. Had my raving mad loony rant on this thread earlier ;) now let's have a bit of a think of how to drain this swamp.

If our AFL player development would be disadvantaged relative to the opportunities our AFL opponents would have, sure, I agree with you. But at gunpoint, I'd say "preparation > connection to our past".

Now I'd be ok with us playing in a slightly lower grade of comp than the current SANFL in order to lift the base level for the benefit of all AFL clubs. Let's pop Port and the Cows into the VFL as a thought experiment. IMO we'd gain more from the flexibility of playing who we want, when we want, where we want, than lose from the overall slightly "lower standard" of the comp. And by moving we slightly lower the SANFL standard, slightly raise the VFL standard. Net-net a win for the playing group we have today, plus more of a level playing field across the AFL, and the SANFL loses.

So that sorts AFL player development post draft but what about junior talent pathways? They're not the same thing. And we cannot leave the actual kids in hostile, conflict-of-interest bloodied hands. If we and the Cows joined the VFL, it becomes more of an incentive for SANFL to develop as many average plodding suburban footballers as they could. For themselves. Using AFL-delegated junior development monies. And let the prospective KPP kids go play basketball or cricket or whatever, who GAF? SA football has been held hostage by these overfed SANFL chief Fruchocs distributors for far too long. Let's not do that to the next generation as well.

That leaves a hostile takeover/takedown of the SANFL to form a properly aligned AFL-SA as the "best of all possible worlds" - and the only viable alternative where we might be allowed to use our heritage iconography week in week out - but I suspect barring a few actual SANFL club failures the swamp isn't going to become navigable any time soon. So we do what all good ambitious folks do - leave the swamp ourselves, taking only what we can carry.

I was going to post the link to the article "Crows - Have Museum Need History" but it has been taken down.

So for every ones amusement, I will post this gem from the Downfall pisstakes

I wonder if Norwood fans did the same thing in 2013 when Matt Thomas and Mitch Grigg won them a premiership?

If those two had done a better job washing Ken and Our Sando's cars, Norwood probably don't get near a flag that year. But at least the competition wasn't compromised back then.

There are actually Sturt fans who indulge in this nonsense.

The new setup gifted them arguably their greatest player ever in Zane Kirkwood and one of the better KPF's at the level in Kory Beard.

But no, wish we could just go back to the way it was moite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This will be extremely embarrassing for Mark Beswick.
I have also seen his anti Port posts on another website and have wondered if he is related to ex player Kevin Beswick who transferred to West Adelaide in 1974 and if there has been lingering resentment over his departure?

This will be extremely embarrassing for Mark Beswick.
I have also seen his anti Port posts on another website and have wondered if he is related to ex player Kevin Beswick who transferred to West Adelaide in 1974 and if there has been lingering resentment over his departure?
I wondered the same thing.

Found a couple of posts on big footy from 2003 ish (which apologies I don't know how to quote into this thread) with one saying he was Kevin Beswicks son and the other amongst other things indicating Port made Kevin sit out of footy for twelve months.

If true might explain a bit.
Yes, Kevin was one of a number of Port players who followed Fos to West Adelaide in 1974.

I still think SANFL should have present three options to VFL when they got an expansion team. There was a Big-4, so I have heard: Port, Norwood, Sturt, and Glenelg. However, 4 SA teams would be too much; 2, the most likely. Thus, it should have aimed at three.

Based on the map found here, for instance: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Australian_National_Football_League

It seems to me that SANFL should have divided the city in three zones, each one with a bid, and having Port, Norwood, and Gleneld leading the bids. Sturt would co-lead with either Norwood or Glenelg. What would have happened, I can't imagine, but I think that Adelaide would be longing for a third team, instead of being OK with the current two...

Seems petty to me but i do understand it, but honestly couldn't care less.
I do recall talking to some die hard Maggies supporters circa 2013-2014 and many were against the disbanding of the old Magpies re the PAFC Reserves team.
You only need to read the posts on the Maggies cheer squad page to see for yourself. Many felt hard done by and weren't to happy with the club.

https://www.facebook.com/PortAdelaideCheerSquad/

pacs.JPG

I do recall talking to some die hard Maggies supporters circa 2013-2014 and many were against the disbanding of the old Magpies re the PAFC Reserves team.
You only need to read the posts on the Maggies cheer squad page to see for yourself. Many felt hard done by and weren't to happy with the club.

View attachment 394833

A few of the leading dissenters were St Kilda fans who must've been out the back taking a piss when the members unanimously voted to fulfil the club's destiny and join the AFL.

The surrounding carry-on, first with the One Club merger and then the Reserves setup, was embarrassing and misinformed.

View attachment 394833
A few of the leading dissenters were St Kilda fans who must've been out the back taking a piss when the members unanimously voted to fulfil the club's destiny and join the AFL.

The surrounding carry-on, first with the One Club merger and then the Reserves setup, was embarrassing and misinformed.

Like, I cannot stress this enough.

These morons were saying things like, "[Power-listed players] don't deserve to wear the prisonbar", but were openly weeping over what might happen to f**king Josh Thurgood, who would've been lucky to get a game in the reserves during the pre-Power era.

View attachment 394833
"Many" or a few people on Facebook? Our
Sanfl numbers are still strong, regularly have the biggest crowds for the week, so these many must've gotten over it quickly.

View attachment 394833
The way the local media carried on when we took full control backnof our club. ******* today tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back