Rex Hunt returns to 3AW in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

jeez.,,,do we really need the return of the laneway tugger
His routine was stale when he left, not sure we need more 'brother nelson tightening in the ring' jokes

I guess that's the end of his "This is Your Football Life" series on SEN?
Unless it's part of Crocmedia supplying programming to various stations as part of the new AFL rights?
Additionally, Crocmedia will develop a national AFL radio call across metro markets under the revamped AFL deal. New arrangements to supply a range of sports and entertainment programming across 2UE, 3AW, 6PR, Fiveaa, Magic882, SEN and Southern Cross Austereo’s regional stations underpin the new partnership.

If that isn't the case, I wonder whether it means he won't be calling games for AFL Live anymore?

I havn't listened to anything with Rex Hunt for 15 years but damn he was good in his prime before his act got stale. I had a job with a lot of driving in the late 90's and being able to listen to his calls actually made me look forward to working weekends

I havn't listened to anything with Rex Hunt for 15 years but damn he was good in his prime before his act got stale. I had a job with a lot of driving in the late 90's and being able to listen to his calls actually made me look forward to working weekends
He was in his prime in the 90s! You'd listen to him over the abc calling the game that your team is playing in.

He was ok when on triple m, but needs to pull the pin & stick to his fishing adventures

He was in his prime in the 90s! You'd listen to him over the abc calling the game that your team is playing in.

He was ok when on triple m, but needs to pull the pin & stick to his fishing adventures

Would you say his prime years were when they had Sam Newman and Ron Barassi on special comments? (and Gary Brice and Al Martello doing the around the grounds)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you say his prime years were when they had Sam Newman and Ron Barassi on special comments? (and Gary Brice and Al Martello doing the around the grounds)
Yeah, old Ron and his battle truck, Rexes fuding with the Tobin Brothers (ABC) well as with refusing to work with Sam at times

The fat lady singing, Yibidi Yibada, 8.8:64, BROTHER etc.

They're all mingled in with some great primary school memories from the early 2000s. Unfortunately, they're in the past - and so should Rex be.

I guess that's the end of his "This is Your Football Life" series on SEN?

It is his best work.
Never really like him as a caller or even his tv footy show on channel 7 but he is in his element interviewing ex footballers.
BT is just another version of Rex, but toned down a little compared to Rex.

Now we go Around the Grounds with Al Martello down at the Cattery...
More used to Don Hines around the grounds on 3UZ or Harry calling down to Tommy Lahiff in dressing rooms for post game interviews on 3AW. Captain and the Major on 3KZ. "If you don't mind umpire!"

Never liked when my team was drawn on 3UZ game on a Saturday. Horse races took precedence so sporadic listening to game at home. You wanted to be on 3AW, 3LO, 3KZ or even 3GL if playing down in sleepy hollow and can pick up the grainy distant broadcast. 3DB or 3UZ is where you did not want to be as they covered the horse racing too. 6 games for 6 stations. You checked out the green guide on Thursday's from The Age to see if you avoided DB or UZ. How times have changed.

More used to Don Hines around the grounds on 3UZ or Harry calling down to Tommy Lahiff in dressing rooms for post game interviews on 3AW. Captain and the Major on 3KZ. "If you don't mind umpire!"

Never liked when my team was drawn on 3UZ game on a Saturday. Horse races took precedence so sporadic listening to game at home. You wanted to be on 3AW, 3LO, 3KZ or even 3GL if playing down in sleepy hollow and can pick up the grainy distant broadcast. 3DB or 3UZ is where you did not want to be as they covered the horse racing too. 6 games for 6 stations. You checked out the green guide on Thursday's from The Age to see if you avoided DB or UZ. How times have changed.
Fond memories of a bygone era...

Wonderful memories.

My favourite was 3KZ with Ian Major and Jack Dyer.

Ted Whitten commentated the games on 3GL for cats games.

Matches covered on 3UZ or 3DB meant being a nervous wreck in the last quarter when the game was very close and sudden switches were made to the races.
The game at Princes Park in 1976 when Blight kicked the 80 metre goal after the siren was on a racing station and the dramatic finish to the game was not broadcasted due to a race.

3AW and Rex was entertaining in the early to mid 1990's but became annoying years later when they started playing music and singing after a goal was kicked, i.e singing 'My Fevola' to the 'My Sharona' music after Fev kicked a goal.

Wonderful memories.

My favourite was 3KZ with Ian Major and Jack Dyer.

Ted Whitten commentated the games on 3GL for cats games.

Matches covered on 3UZ or 3DB meant being a nervous wreck in the last quarter when the game was very close and sudden switches were made to the races.
The game at Princes Park in 1976 when Blight kicked the 80 metre goal after the siren was on a racing station and the dramatic finish to the game was not broadcasted due to a race.

3AW and Rex was entertaining in the early to mid 1990's but became annoying years later when they started playing music and singing after a goal was kicked, i.e singing 'My Fevola' to the 'My Sharona' music after Fev kicked a goal.

I never enjoyed Rex at any point. I understood others did but for mine the first rule of a commentator is keep me in touch with the actual play and score. If I just tuned in from somewhere else and wanted to know the actual score, or whom just scored the goal I found the Rex act got in way of actually finding those things out and was frustrating to maybe wait 2 or 3 minutes to actually work out the state of the game. Decent commentators are always aware that not all their audience have been listening all afternoon and some just tuning in, need to be kept in mind. Rex failed on that front, big time!!!! However as fixtures changed and time went on, the reality of having up to 5 games on at same time and only one channel covers your game has gone and now a game has 2 or 3 channels covering same game you can avoid the commentators on radio that you cannot stand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back