Radio Rex hunt to make a comeback

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember when Rex was calling a Port v Hawthorn game years ago and Port must have been 15 goals up in the last qtr. Hawks finally kick a goal and Rex starts screaming that "the hawks are coming, THE HAWKS ARE COMING"

Don't know why i still remember it but I pissed myself laughing at the time.

At a game at Optus Oval, told two subcontintental looking guys in the crowd that they should be at the cricket instead.

Pakistan were playing Australia at Etihad at the same time.

This outburst was captured live on television.

Not a fan of his.

That was pure gold. Good on him for calling out the dirty stinking filthy butt littering smelly breathing ash in the eye cookie cutters.

Not even half way through the first qtr and Sam has complained about the umpires, goalkicking, over possesing, not playing in position and doesn’t know any of the players. Plus we’ve had this:

Rex: Membrain takes the mark. Do you know who Membrain is Sam?

Sam: Yeah something you haven’t got

Rex: Reminds me of the time I was circumcised at 16. I said go ahead doc, it's no skin off my nose

Last edited:
Rex in decent form for someone who hasn't called games recently.
Sam is still a decent special comments man when he talks about the game, rather than whinge about the umpires.

Even with Walls in the box, they are better to listen to that the drivel spouted out on Ch7 on Friday and Saturday nights

Oh man... Rex on tonight... how much I miss this style of footy calling compared to the over analysis, ad driven shite that's delivered up these days.

Rex is the reason I got into footy calling... come to think of it, I've lost more money calling footy than making any.... should send him a bloody invoice for that!

I loved it, a flashback to my childhood where I listened to 3AW every Saturday and Sunday with Rex, Sam and co ...
Perfect for a Saturday night when the missus was watching that bloody wedding... I've kicked back with a few drink and just listened.... just good fun, often un PC and Sam and Wallsy summed up a lot of how I feel about footy at the moment.

Tim Membrane
The man with no Christian name Taylor Adams
The man without a surname Jack Steven
River Murray
Son of Special Fried Rice
Awesome Wells

Other than these ones did he come up with any that were actually any good?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh man... Rex on tonight... how much I miss this style of footy calling compared to the over analysis, ad driven shite that's delivered up these days.

Rex is the reason I got into footy calling... come to think of it, I've lost more money calling footy than making any.... should send him a bloody invoice for that!
You loved having absolutely no idea where the * the ball was because the fat campaigner was to busy making it about himself?

Terrible caller on radio IMO.

Liked him calling the game for the crap it was, on Channel 7. It was a refreshing take on the game on a network that is very protective of the AFL and the product.

I only remember him calling a few Saturday night games at Waverley in the 90s in Ch 7. Not sure if he did much more than that.

I used to love his pronounciation of De Lululio for Carlton!

You loved having absolutely no idea where the **** the ball was because the fat campaigner was to busy making it about himself?

Terrible caller on radio IMO.

I think that's a fair criticism. A work colleague of mine was travelling from Melbourne back to Adelaide and she managed to find a call of a game she was interested in. She'd never heard Rex Hunt before and said she had no idea who the players were, where the ball was, etc. What's the point in broadcasting a game if the listeners have no freakin' idea what you're talking about?

it was kind of entertaining 15 years ago and may have had a place back then, but so did comedians doing foreign accents and newsreaders smoking on air back in the 60's. times have changed and not everything "back in the day" was automatically great. Roy and HG do the broad version of that style of sports calling miles better. might be an acquired taste but wasn't hanging out for this and while did give it a few minutes, turned off again.

it was kind of entertaining 15 years ago and may have had a place back then, but so did comedians doing foreign accents and newsreaders smoking on air back in the 60's. times have changed and not everything "back in the day" was automatically great. Roy and HG do the broad version of that style of sports calling miles better. might be an acquired taste but wasn't hanging out for this and while did give it a few minutes, turned off again.

fair call. As a once-off, it worked for me. But if it was every week, I would tune out of the radio calls more than I currently do.

I think that's a fair criticism. A work colleague of mine was travelling from Melbourne back to Adelaide and she managed to find a call of a game she was interested in. She'd never heard Rex Hunt before and said she had no idea who the players were, where the ball was, etc. What's the point in broadcasting a game if the listeners have no freakin' idea what you're talking about?

Rex or Dwayne 'shake and bake, from the paint' Russell...I know who I would prefer.

Please dont tell me you dont think comedians should do foreign accents. Just do not tell me that.

If you are at the game it was amusing. Or if you wanted some background noise for lols. As I did this morning in the shower (via Tunein Radio app). Didnt care for the game as it is in the past. Anyway, stripped off, paired the iphone to the waterproof speaker, entered the shower (it was cold), turned on the water and listened as I lathered myself. I giggled a number of times, not with regard to the commentary, but some nicknames, some things mentioned by sam and also rob. At one stage rex talked about his vasectomy and there was awkward silence. He also referred to a player called "I dont know". Rob said "I dont know" is a good player, just been played for years.

Anyway, just finished the first quarter, and now onto the second.

lol in the old days if you had a tatt you were tough. Sam - "now its the opposite"

they cut to darren james who then put on a VERY convincing Kamal voice. I swear Kamal was there!

Please dont tell me you dont think comedians should do foreign accents. Just do not tell me that.

I think that's exactly what he is saying

Remove this Banner Ad

Back