Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2003
In Bake Jatchelor's shadow
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Firstly I would like to say two things.
(1) I was excited when we drafted the talented Chris Yarran and I was longing for many years of Yarran's talent on display at Richmond.
(2) I wish Chris Yarran only peace and freedom from drugs on his recent struggle to beat his addiction.

Starting with point (1). When we drafted Ben Cousins we were under no illusions this player was battling addiction when we took him on. The general public and RFC Members also were well aware what we were taking on with Cousins. And Cousins played Senior Football for Richmond.

The drafting of Chris Yarran is a whole different kettle of fish.

Innocently, I always thought Chris Yarran's availability and trade to Richmond was based on Yarran's fluctuating form, poor fitness regimes and injury issues. All normally solvable issues that AFL Clubs are experts at handling. I had no idea Chris Yarran was a Meth Addict. As his released film testimony of yesterday revealed, the RFC was never going to get any long term game time out of this player. This was a disaster from the start. Richmond had no hope of success with Yarran. If we just judge Yarran as a new player to a club from another club, we were either sold a lemon, or made a horrendous judgement call on a lemon. Not a lemon as a skilled player, a lemon as a player trying to also function as a Meth Addict.

As a RFC Member I want to know these things from my Club.
(A) Did the Carlton Football Club know of Yarran's Drug Addiction?
(B) Did the Carlton Football Club notify the Richmond Football Club prior to the RFC Drafting Yarran, that Yarran had a debilitating Drug Addiction?
(C) Did the AFL know of Yarran's Addiction prior to Yarran crossing to Richmond?
(D) Was the AFL treating Yarran's Addiction with Medical help or Medical Referrals?
(D) Did the AFL notify the Richmond Football Club of Yarran's Addiction prior to Yarran crossing to Richmond?
(E) Did the Richmond Club willingly take on Yarran after being made aware of Yarran's Drug Addiction?
(F) Was Richmond aware at all about Yarran's Addiction?
(G) If so, who signed off on the Yarran deal knowing that Yarran's Addiction would limit any game time?
(H) If Richmond was unaware of Yarran's Addiction, but the AFL knew through their supposed rigorous Drug Testing program of players, why aren't we now compensated for the wasted Yarran spot on our list?
(I) Who knew what?

Please don't stick this in the 'Yarran Testimony' Thread as I'm not commenting further or dwelling on the Yarran Film, but I want answers on the wasted Yarran Trade and how the Richmond Football Club was allowed to draft a Meth Addict, and basically draft a permanent empty spot to our List.

I think the least the Richmond Football Club needs to do is to hold a Press Conference to honestly divulge what they knew and what they didn't know regarding the drafting of Chris Yarran who had a raging Drug Addiction past history, at the time of us picking him to join our Club.

If you'd like the Club to answer it's Members on the poor Yarran selection, please agree below.

Look , what's the point of this thread???
Just let it go. Clubs on the right track IMO...
Exactly, we need to be praising the club for the turn around its given its members this year on the field not demanding answers on a past player.
Id imagine they did what they did with cousins and attempt to set him straight, anyways, we're not a dirty under the table club like essendrugs as we actually care about the welfare of our players. Not sure why you have a reason to doubt this op?

Exactly, we need to be praising the club for the turn around its given its members this year on the field not demanding answers on a past player.
Id imagine they did what they did with cousins and attempt to set him straight, anyways, we're not a dirty under the table club like essendrugs as we actually care about the welfare of our players. Not sure why you have a reason to doubt this op?

giphy.gif

By all accounts we are still paying yarran, if he quit because of a drug addiction we should be cutting him off now, footy clubs exist to win football games not as charities.

It's more than reasonable to ask a few of these questions.
For example if Carlton knew and yet hid it to get the trade done then they would have some serious questions to answer from all, and would be considered to have done a massive disservice to Chris.
Very unlikely Richmond knew but if they did were ******* kidding themselves.
People saying just move on are joking surely? A lot of these questions must be answered.

It's more than reasonable to ask a few of these questions.
For example if Carlton knew and yet hid it to get the trade done then they would have some serious questions to answer from all, and would be considered to have done a massive disservice to Chris.
Very unlikely Richmond knew but if they did were ******* kidding themselves.
People saying just move on are joking surely? A lot of these questions must be answered.
Your not going to get any answers I expect,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your not going to get any answers I expect,
They'll have to.
People are taking it the wrong way. It's not about being negative towards Richmond in my eyes.
If we ****ed up then we learn.
But a lot needs to be looked into as to if anyone was aware from Carlton and let it happen effectively putting him at risk instead of assisting him.
Same if we knew.
The handling of this stuff needs to be better across the whole league.
Certainly just burying our heads and pretending it never happened helps nobody.

I'm presuming the RFC club didn't know when we traded him and the scum knew what was happening and didn't let us know etc .
No way. We're talking big money here, homework would have had to been deep.

I'm on the 'move on' side, but it's still an interesting deal on reflection.

Last edited:
Two possible options here both answers are the same

Either we didnt know when we traded for him which means the club are incompetent
Or we did know and did it anyway which means the club are incompetent

How much of a ******* can you be to be an afl player and get involved in ice when the Ben cousins issue is constantly in the news.

All i really would like to know is when did he start doing ice. Specifically before or after going to Richmond.

There's no point expecting the club to say when they found out as we'll get bullshitted.

I'll be a bit disappointed if depression, which is a real thing for many people, starts getting used as a get out of jail free card when players * up with drugs.

Having said all that, I wish the guy all the best.

From what I understand with Yarran claiming to have mental health issues the AFL did not drug test him so neither the AFL or Carlton would have known. The ability to hide behind this loophole would give Yarran the ability to hide his addiction with many putting down his poor performance to battling mental health rather than something like being a drug addict.

Unfortunately I think we're going to have to wear this as a learning experience and maybe become more cautious/diligent when trading in the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back