Unsolved Rhianna Barreau - Adelaide schoolgirl disappearance

Remove this Banner Ad

Were keys left behind?

Its not incongruent if the keys are there.

Same scenario different outcome could be - ' hey did you see my kitten it came into your yard'

Step outside and the door auto closes and locks

''I left my keys inside '' - ' thats ok you can wait at my house and play with the kitten'

I'm more comfortable with a neighbour grab than a random off the street attempt

I'll check the keys

Were keys left behind?

Its not incongruent if the keys are there.

Same scenario different outcome could be - ' hey did you see my kitten it came into your yard'

Step outside and the door auto closes and locks

''I left my keys inside '' - ' thats ok you can wait at my house and play with the kitten'

I'm more comfortable with a neighbour grab than a random off the street attempt
That property we talked about before in PM. One of the close neighbours!
I tracked down a person that had visited that home.
She described the visit as uncomfortable and was stopped from leaving at one stage. I think this visit happened late 90s.
she also describes the family as a bunch of hot heads

I'm kind of leaning to the neighbour knocking on the door due to a noise issue.

The keys were with her apparently. The next door neighbour wasn't home. The housemate was out front of a deli and was the person who reported the suspicious White Torana.

So back to my hypothesis, neither male neighbours were home AND one of them was the person making the Torana report.

I know what I think

The keys were with her apparently. The next door neighbour wasn't home. The housemate was out front of a deli and was the person who reported the suspicious White Torana.

So back to my hypothesis, neither male neighbours were home AND one of them was the person making the Torana report.

I know what I think
I think the car cruising the streets happened over a couple of days or even weeks. Neighbours flagged the car and it was traced to a house on S%#$@*& Ave. I would have imagined the owner was questioned. I would imagine anybody acting suspiciously would be a POI, but not necessarily the abductor.
If you look back at through the pages of this thread, there is a map of white car sighting. Looking at google earth there are a few cars in neighbouring backyards, some covered by tarps.
Somebody sent me two names recently. two men convicted of local rapes during the same period. I guess they could be added to the list.

The case needs some creative policing to solve it

That property we talked about before in PM. One of the close neighbours!
I tracked down a person that had visited that home.
She described the visit as uncomfortable and was stopped from leaving at one stage. I think this visit happened late 90s.
she also describes the family as a bunch of hot heads

I'm kind of leaning to the neighbour knocking on the door due to a noise issue.

How close were these neighbours? I'm thinking TV on still, the very close neighbours no more than 2 houses ether side. Just trying to profile it.

How close were these neighbours? I'm thinking TV on still, the very close neighbours no more than 2 houses ether side. Just trying to profile it.
I personally don't put too much importance on the tv remaining on. When I was growing up my parents would leave the TV on if we went out so the house appeared occupied, it could've simply been something like that.

One thing that I often wonder which gives me hesitancy to believe it was someone close is: the caller in November 92 described her keys. Given that it was a month later, and the police would've combed Highwray Dr and Acre Av I think the caller has to have been the perp. Assuming this call was recorded, was the voice ever compared with any of the POIs? You'd think If there was any resemblance to any of them, Police would drag them over the coals. In fact, my non legal opinion would be a voice match would be plenty of cause to obtain a search warrant. It seems like if it was a local, they got really really lucky.

I personally don't put too much importance on the tv remaining on. When I was growing up my parents would leave the TV on if we went out so the house appeared occupied, it could've simply been something like that.

One thing that I often wonder which gives me hesitancy to believe it was someone close is: the caller in November 92 described her keys. Given that it was a month later, and the police would've combed Highwray Dr and Acre Av I think the caller has to have been the perp. Assuming this call was recorded, was the voice ever compared with any of the POIs? You'd think If there was any resemblance to any of them, Police would drag them over the coals. In fact, my non legal opinion would be a voice match would be plenty of cause to obtain a search warrant. It seems like if it was a local, they got really really lucky.

Certainly possible. That trick more often used by lights illuminating during the night (sometimes with a device to turn on in holidays) to my memory but I get your point. Interesting observation regarding the keys and well worthwhile strategy voice comparison. If the perpetrator mentioned the keys on the road then that is likely a tactic used to divert attention away from the home and neighbours and therefore likely was a perp that was perhaps a neighbour.
Why else would you mention the keys unless designed to attract attention to a car escaping some way. Would they inadvertently drop them on the road?UInlikely. The comment that they suspect the killer was close and murdered close burried close suggests police thought it was a local/ neighbour too. She might have been followed home then observed when there but more likely they knew positively brother and Mum weren't there by habit and close observation. if that was the case that level of observation implicates neighbours too I susggest

You seriously hope that all neighbour witness accounts were taken and later analysis done of offending. That is a likely manner police may detect potential perps if in fact they weren't on the day already at that time.

Certainly possible. That trick more often used by lights illuminating during the night (sometimes with a device to turn on in holidays) to my memory but I get your point. Interesting observation regarding the keys and well worthwhile strategy voice comparison. If the perpetrator mentioned the keys on the road then that is likely a tactic used to divert attention away from the home and neighbours and therefore likely was a perp that was perhaps a neighbour.
Why else would you mention the keys unless designed to attract attention to a car escaping some way. Would they inadvertently drop them on the road?UInlikely. The comment that they suspect the killer was close and murdered close burried close suggests police thought it was a local/ neighbour too. She might have been followed home then observed when there but more likely they knew positively brother and Mum weren't there by habit and close observation. if that was the case that level of observation implicates neighbours too I susggest

You seriously hope that all neighbour witness accounts were taken and later analysis done of offending. That is a likely manner police may detect potential perps if in fact they weren't on the day already at that ti
That's a good theory but I'm not sure I agree. The call came from Highwray Dr phone box, if it led to a new line of enquiry I think police would've still had neighbours very much in mind. Though you do raise an interesting point that if it were a neighbor, they may have thought they could redirect police attention toward a snatch and grab.

Perps will often return to the scene of a crime though, and this is what makes me think it was a stranger - the call came from Highwray Dr phone box, but clearly they didn't want to be there while police had a presence - Why? Did they drive a white car?

That's a good theory but I'm not sure I agree. The call came from Highwray Dr phone box, if it led to a new line of enquiry I think police would've still had neighbours very much in mind. Though you do raise an interesting point that if it were a neighbor, they may have thought they could redirect police attention toward a snatch and grab.

Perps will often return to the scene of a crime though, and this is what makes me think it was a stranger - the call came from Highwray Dr phone box, but clearly they didn't want to be there while police had a presence - Why? Did they drive a white car?

Arthur has said that they spent an inordinate amount of time on the Torana with Vic plates and it went nowhere. Was that a red herring? Perhaps an intentional red herring? The housemate of the next door neighbour was one of those reporting the Torana threat. Interesting coincidence.

Arthur's theory is that it was a local person and she was abducted and killed close to home and her remains too are close to home. Clearly they suspect a neighbour I believe.

Because of the TV on state I'm thinking very close to home like within two houses either side and or at rear. That leaves a very limited few I'm guessing. Once you profile those it will likely come down to one or two.

Arthur has said that they spent an inordinate amount of time on the Torana with Vic plates and it went nowhere. Was that a red herring? Perhaps an intentional red herring? The housemate of the next door neighbour was one of those reporting the Torana threat. Interesting coincidence.

Arthur's theory is that it was a local person and she was abducted and killed close to home and her remains too are close to home. Clearly they suspect a neighbour I believe.

Because of the TV on state I'm thinking very close to home like within two houses either side and or at rear. That leaves a very limited few I'm guessing. Once you profile those it will likely come down to one or two.
If the perpetrator lived in the 6-8 houses surrounding Barreau's, there's a 94% probability the police would have arrested him in the subsequent 30 years.

If the perpetrator lived in the 6-8 houses surrounding Barreau's, there's a 94% probability the police would have arrested him in the subsequent 30 years.
That's what I always come back to. If they even had a sniff that someone local was responsible they would press hard.

We need to remember that at the time there was no indication that this would be an isolated incident. Huge pressure would've been on to solve the case even if it meant finding Rhiannas body. IMHO if it really was a local then they got incredibly lucky.

That's what I always come back to. If they even had a sniff that someone local was responsible they would press hard.

We need to remember that at the time there was no indication that this would be an isolated incident. Huge pressure would've been on to solve the case even if it meant finding Rhiannas body. IMHO if it really was a local then they got incredibly lucky.

They need to have some evidence not just suspicion though. There was none really. The major item would be a body and DNA. Absent that they are guessing who. So what pressure could be applied?

I'm still inclined to think immediate surrounding neighbours should be primary focus

coming up to the 30 year anniversary of the disappearance. October 7, 92
there may be a new media release from either crimestoppers or SAPol closer to October.

In my opinion, it still should be an active case. "the offender is closer than people think"
I am seeking to contact former Det Allen Arthur, if anyone has contact details, please PM me

There is a new podcast -

The girl in the podcast said she spoke to SA police and they refused to comment and to get back in touch in early October.

If they have information or are going to do something why not come out with it now? What are they waiting for?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The girl in the podcast said she spoke to SA police and they refused to comment and to get back in touch in early October.

If they have information or are going to do something why not come out with it now? What are they waiting for?
Most likely they just aren't putting resources into Rhiannas case right now, but on Oct 7 it'll be 30 years since her disappearance so they'll likely have more staff assigned to dealing with enquiries from the public.

She did a good job in the Podcast.

Im not sure on their motives, My guess it will be another crime stoppers campaign

I lived on Garema Drive up until this time last year. Started high school at Morphett Vale in 97 so a couple of years behind but always remember hearing all about it even then. I would have thought the easiest way walking back from Southgate was behind the shopping centre itself through the backstreets past Bill Hanna reserve which pops out on Acre Ave just a couple of streets from the deli rather than going down Sheriffs Rd.
I know somebody here said they walked her route recently. Did she cut through that area between the schools and the back end of Highwray with all those trees and the playground? Not sure the origins but as long as I can remember it was just locally referred to as 'rapist park' and everybody stuck to walking along Acre avenue itself rather than cutting through there. I literally only walked through there myself for the first time ever a year or 2 ago playing Pokémon Go lol

I know somebody here said they walked her route recently. Did she cut through that area between the schools and the back end of Highwray with all those trees and the playground? Not sure the origins but as long as I can remember it was just locally referred to as 'rapist park' and everybody stuck to walking along Acre avenue itself rather than cutting through there. I literally only walked through there myself for the first time ever a year or 2 ago playing Pokémon Go lol

This might help.

This might help.

Yeah so at the 8 minute mark when looking up acre ave towards sheriffs road you can see a right hand turn just before the bend. Everybody generally walked up that road after school through those backstreets and came into Southgate plaza through the back car park where the p.o boxes are behind the post office. If she did go sheriffs road she almost definitely would have crossed the oval I'd assume

Yeah so at the 8 minute mark when looking up acre ave towards sheriffs road you can see a right hand turn just before the bend. Everybody generally walked up that road after school through those backstreets and came into Southgate plaza through the back car park where the p.o boxes are behind the post office. If she did go sheriffs road she almost definitely would have crossed the oval I'd assume
Pretty sure she would've crossed the oval as there are confirmed reports of her at around 12.30 from some kids that were playing basketball nearby IIRC. I think there were also confirmed reports of seeing her on Sherriffs Rd.

You've provided some interesting info though about the route to Southgate - I'm semi familiar with the area and Sherriffs seems like taking the "long" way - this is speculative, but it sounds like she may not have been as familiar walking to/from Southgate and thus taken a more basic route following the main road. Info is that she was going to catch bus to Colonnades, which is a shorter walk down Highwray to Acre Ave. That doesn't really change anything about the case but it is interesting.

The visibility of her movements means someone could've easily followed her all the way from Southgate or clocked her on Sheriffs. It's even possible that they followed her right to the door and surveyed her for a time to ensure no one else was home.

There's so many things to wonder about that day, whether regular bus service, a different walking route or even just staying home could've made the difference and she'd still be here.

Last edited:
This might help.

That's a good video. My best theory is that the area along Highwray starting at 12:50 is where she was taken. Not a lot of visibility and if a car was parked next to the pavement it would obscure the view from the houses if someone forced her into a car.

They have often mentioned a white Torana in connection with the Disappearance.
But police were also interested in a light coloured Comodore, it was seen cruising the streets.
I am not sure if they tracked down the driver.
So they were looking for 2 cars?

So they were looking for 2 cars?
or the people reporting the car acting suspiciously, got the make and model wrong.
around that time there was a nice white SLR in the MV area, as well as the odd LJ and LC Toranas.
the police show a LJ 4door Spack in their display pic. who knows the description varies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back