Unsolved Rhianna Barreau - Adelaide schoolgirl disappearance

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey, cool, this case is close to me actually, im a couple yrs older, had an aunty that lived around the corner. Went to visit there the weekend agter & we werent allow anywhere off rhe prooperty! Ive had lots said to me over the yrs about who/what/when & how.

do you happen to have an aerial phot of these shops & her home? Ive struggled to find one.
Google maps - as above - and choose satellite settings

Ive only just started reading about the case again
To me when I first heard about the case, (back in 92) I though she was described as walking back from the shops along Sheriffs road. It was my impression that someone in car had intercepted her.

But reading again the recent ABC article and doing more reading. Its possible someone she knew knocked at the door. People in this area are working class, some of these were working in nearby factories and worked in the old Mitsubishi plant. I guess some worked shifts and were home at the time.
Really shocked no-one has seen something!
That latest one of the best articles & another good one is mysteriousunviverse.org was another great one!

Google maps - as above - and choose satellite settings
The area has changed since 1992, the shopping center has expanded & I had also read the school was in a different location, which all these factors has a bearing on her walk to and from the shops.

The area has changed since 1992, the shopping center has expanded & I had also read the school was in a different location, which all these factors has a bearing on her walk to and from the shops.
School hasnt changed location.

Yes the shopping centre has grown but the street profile hasnt

The Southern Expressway may impact visualising a route to and from industrial estates but thats not hard to dismiss. The lie of the land walking route would have been and still is Sherrifs, Acre and into the side streets

But as she was home the streets are a diversion

School hasnt changed location.

Yes the shopping centre has grown but the street profile hasnt

The Southern Expressway may impact visualising a route to and from industrial estates but thats not hard to dismiss. The lie of the land walking route would have been and still is Sherrifs, Acre and into the side streets

But as she was home the streets are a diversion
See, I want to see the area, as the time it took her to walk seems very ling IMO

Ive only just started reading about the case again
To me when I first heard about the case, (back in 92) I though she was described as walking back from the shops along Sheriffs road. It was my impression that someone in car had intercepted her.

But reading again the recent ABC article and doing more reading. Its possible someone she knew knocked at the door. People in this area are working class, some of these were working in nearby factories and worked in the old Mitsubishi plant. I guess some worked shifts and were home at the time.
Really shocked no-one has seen something!

Yeah I'm pretty sure she made it home from the shops because the card she brought from the newsagent was found in the house.

Yeah I'm pretty sure she made it home from the shops because the card she brought from the newsagent was found in the house.

she did make it home, the card was purchased at 11;19am. I’ll throw a short version of events up soon.

My memory has become a bit cloudy
but who else remembers these incidents in the area? ( Reynella MorphetVale)

Late 80s in a local Primary school, a teacher was reported and the Head Master was stood down. For a reported incident with a child in a music room?

Late 80s again, a second hand book store made the news, for reasons I cant remember.
Possibly for distributing pr0n??

In recent times (around 2015) a elderly male dressed as Santa was reported for Indecently assaulting children. This was at Christmas time, he was working as Santa, outside Target at Southgate.
I remember walking past the xmas set up and thought to myself, he looked dodgy.

Any of these connected?

I did a bit of research on prospects for this and there are so many it almost seems helpless... and they are just ones that are in the media.. same for mr cruel case.

Thats true, the only time we seem to hear about it is an anniversary or something very occasionally, but not consistent enough.

Its strange because all that is 100% is that she was seen heading towards the shopping centre at 10:30am. Purchased the card at 11:19am from the newsagents & she was last seen at 12:30pm on Highwray Drv, between Morphett Vale High School & Stanvac Primary School (at the junction of David Tce & Acre Ave.)

They know she made it home because the card was there, tv was on, nothing missing, noting out of place, records on the floor, normal teenager stuff.

Nothing inside or outside of the house held any clues of struggle or an attack, the front door was locked, it appears she left on her own accod.

No time has been confirmed, as to when her abduction happened, except;

She was seen down the bottom of her street about 10mins (4pm) before her mum returned home at 4:10pm. Strangely this has dropped off the reports over the years & they only confirm the last known confirmed sighting was at 12:30pm on Acre Ave, weird?

So ‘who’ saw her down the bottom of her street, and why can’t police confirm that as her last sighting? Thats what it was always suggested as being on Acre Ave/Wakefield Ave.

Mrs Barreau knocked on neighbours doors, phoned Rhianna’s friends, no-one had seen her. By 6pm she was reported missing.

The only clues were the white 2 door Torana with VIC number plates. Police ceased searching a long time ago as it was a mammoth task & using resources up.

The ‘Keys’ report made a couple of months after she was abducted. (A lead that went nowhere.

Its a strange case.. I’ll post on the torana & keys tomorrow.

Last edited:
Acre Avenue is a weird street/road to travel on. It drops in elevation from Sherrifs road to O'Sullivans Beach Road - heading south - a good 50m to 100m and has twists and turns to navigate

It has a lot of short stretches which lead into turns ie you only get to see anybody walking down the street for a small amount of time . The biggest stretch is from Sherrifs Rd to Baanga Rd

One possible walking route may have been Sherrifs , Acre then Garema (before Baanga) and through the school . This section is fairly straight without too much drop in elevation

This is an eerie case. It's clear that Rhianna made it home given the card and the receipt from the news agents were on the table, but what happened next is very hard to determine. That the TV was on suggests she left the house at short notice rather than head out on her own to visit a friend, nor did she leave a note for her mother and brother. There was no sign of a struggle nor did anyone see or hear anything strange. There was nothing to support her running away. It's possible that Rhianna fell victim to a confidence trick, for example a fake police officer luring her away with some ruse such as her mother being in a minor accident, was okay but in hospital and wanted to see her.

It was clear in other South Australian cases such as the Beaumont Children in 1966 and the vanishing of two girls from a Norwood vs. North Adelaide game at Adelaide Oval in 1973 that they were abducted, but Rhianna's case is very strange. No explanation, no witnesses, no clues, nothing. It was like Rhianna Barreau simply vanished into thin air.

The strangest thing is, why around 4pm was she seen near the end of her street? But also police havent been calling this the last confirmed siting?

There is nothing down that way. The deli isnt there, its back further up Acre Ave. Theres no reasoning as to why she wouldve gone down then road. It also seems strange that Rhianna hadn’t tidied up the lounge room, which by all accounts she was a trustworthy mature girl, so I would have imagined she would’ve cleaned that up before her mum got home? so did Rhianna leave before 4pm but the time can not be 100% confirmed?

what if she was helping someone - like look for a lost dog or something? Someone was able to approach her house & get her to leave she had her house keys with her (not a lot has been said about this) so she left on her own accord & walked down the street, towards O’Sullivan Beach Rd, ‘helping’ someone?

Did she go down the end of the road to meet her mum down there? I would suggest, if her Mum was working Noarlunga Tafe she would’ve come off OSullivan Beach Road, then onto Wakefield Ave.So this is also possible. It would be good to know if she had met her mum on that corner like that before.

Whatever the reasoning was, its clear this is was all spur of the moment.It couldnt have been premeditated as only her & her mum knew about her movements on the day.IF someone saw her walking & possibly stayed around watching for a while, a cR would’ve been noted as being parkes of cruising the area. None of this has been reported, so we can only assume Rhianna was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And then there are so many conflicting reports of sitings that at the time, police never corrected of knew were wrong until later. The ABC March 2020 article has been the best article I have read in a long time, although it bought up many questions as well.

I believe (Retired) Homicide Detective Allan Arthur was assigned to Rhianna’s case two days after she disappeared. He was uneasy about it from the start & knew she was murdered from the beginning. Obviously his experience lead him to that conclusion.

He referred to the reported sitings on Acre Ave of Rhianna as ‘most likely were not associated with Rhianna’. This obviously (not 100%) does not refer to the 12:30pm sighting on Acre Ave as this WAS a confirmed sighting . But it does prove there were other people around that day, yet information is scarce.

He also spoke of the man who reported to police a month or so after her disappearance, that with the reports of Rhianna being seen on Highwray Drive and the white Torana being of interest to the case, after the month passed he said ‘curiosity got the better of him and it was on his conscience, as he ‘saw the car and the girl’ at the specific time mentioned.’ he went for a drive to the location and found a set of keys. He went across the road to call police & upon return, they were gone. This was a dead end lead for the police. It would be good to have an aerial photo of the area at the time to pin point the areas spoken about. We can only assume this man was thoroughly checked and & discounted (assuming) as a POI.

Then we have the white Torana with VIC plates. Many people had seen this car on the day and a lot of ‘suspicious activities happened around Acre Ave, Highwray Ave, Crittenden Ave & David Tce on that day.Police have never revealed the outcome of the white Torana and the male driver, although it hasn’t been mentioned with this case for a while.

At the time & Ive read comments on social media platforms, on that day many people reported the white Torana, although it was mentioned the ‘male looked like he was breaking into cars’ ‘looked drugged up’, and just being a nuisance, so Im wondering if this is the basis of the Torana being a focus as well? There were LOTS of comments saying this.

So we draw more blanks and have no clues.

its frustrating because all the info Ive put up has been taken from so many different reports that it became a massive task. Why can’t the information be put out the in simple terms so the general public don’t get confused with the actual events?

There were no real suspects to the case, other than the description of the male in the white Torana, but even his picture & description has dropped off the reports over the years. It makes me think that the police have eliminated him & the Torana. If that was their strongest lead, they haven’t plugged away at it much at all, so possibly it has been eliminated?

The only person (who hasnt been named) that was a witness, was a next door neighbours house mate, details are below.

‘Steve Fallen still lives in the house next door to where Rhianna Barreau was abducted almost 28 years ago, but was not home at the time.

Back then his housemate was one of the witnesses.

"He said he was sitting out at the front of the deli and saw suspicious people in a Torana but they could have just been suspicious people and might have had nothing to do with it," he said.

" didn't really know her a lot. wasn't here, didn't see anything and couldn't protect her so it's just happened.’

The statements made by the housemate seemed strange to me as he says ‘couldn’t protect her so it just happened’. Is that not a strange comment to make? Im wondering if this is the person who Arthur’s is referring to when he said

‘the killer may be closer than people think.’
and also said,
‘I would suspect that her remains are closer to where she lived than most people think.’

It appears Arthur’s is making reference to this housemate wouldnt you say? I would like to know who this housemate was & his background.Police have states they had one suspect in this case, is this THE suspect they refer to? Does he have a sinister background to give reasoning for suspecting him? Or had his story changed over time?

There is no time stated as to when the housemate saw her either.

Just a note in relation to confusion to the case, referring to the last sighting at 4pm - a neighbour said they saw Rhianna down near the end of Wakefield Ave at this time. That puts her O’Sullivan Beach Rd end of Wakefield Ave.

Then we have a report that states she was seen at 4pm approx 500m from her home at the junction of David Tce & Acre Ave. This puts her in front of the deli, where the housemate was sitting.

So Im wondering if the 4pm sighting hasn’t been confirmed as her last sighting as there is conflicting accounts?

View attachment 870605

View attachment 870606

Top Photo showing Wakefield to OSullivan Beach rd along Acre Ave

Bottom from Wakefield up hill to Sherrifs showing ascent

Taken today
Yeah i was down that way not too long ago. Either way I guess the surrounds don’t matter as we know she made it home.

So with all the different information available,have you found it confusing & do you suggest the 4pm sighting is correct?

Yeah i was down that way not too long ago. Either way I guess the surrounds don’t matter as we know she made it home.

So with all the different information available,have you found it confusing & do you suggest the 4pm sighting is correct?
Because of the state of the house , its my feeling she was home when she went missing

Does the witness state she was agitated or calm? Without knowing an answer to this It makes me suspicious of the witness - were they mistaken or deliberate in their intention?

I think you would have to go back over everything and treat everyone with equal suspicion . Use the passage of time to investigate if future behaviours shine a light on some dark secrets

Because of the state of the house , its my feeling she was home when she went missing

Does the witness state she was agitated or calm? Without knowing an answer to this It makes me suspicious of the witness - were they mistaken or deliberate in their intention?

I think you would have to go back over everything and treat everyone with equal suspicion . Use the passage of time to investigate if future behaviours shine a light on some dark secrets
Well the housemate certainly appears suspicious, it was a strange statement to make, but there was no time put in his sighting but has to be sometime after 1pm. No mention of emotions Rhianna was displaying at the time either. The ‘housemate’ would be under scrutiny, unless his time can be accounted for, but he would have to be a POI.

Ive had a few different stories said over the years & recently two have stuck out. One guy said he was friends with a girl that lived on the street near by. She had an older brother. ‘Apparently’ (this is here.say, no proof), he didn’t attend work in the building industry that day. It was suggested he was responsible & her remains are where the housing estate ‘carew’s Fields’ is. ‘Apparently’ the girls of the family were kelt away from him, until he was shunned by the family & no longer had any contact.

it was interesting the location of their house & also that there was that ‘housemate’ witness. This guy said the family had reported this to police, im not sure when that was, but nothing came of it.

Mark Errin Rust has been thrown up as a POI before with some fairly strong evidence, but some aspects havent been confirmed yet (at my last check).

Does anyone else have any POI’s?

Mark Errin Rust has been thrown up as a POI before with some fairly strong evidence, but some aspects havent been confirmed yet (at my last check).

Does anyone else have any POI’s?
What is this strong evidence?

Rust in 1992 was still escalating -he certainly has a history - but he also brags and boasts about his offending - especially his murders. Contacting the police and saying he had one victims CD player in prison

Nothing on Barreau

What is this strong evidence?

Rust in 1992 was still escalating -he certainly has a history - but he also brags and boasts about his offending - especially his murders. Contacting the police and saying he had one victims CD player in prison

Nothing on Barreau
He bragged to an inmate about things like his convictions, wanted the inmate to arrange a victim to be rid of, dropped info on Jakic & said about the CD llayer that never had a charger, indicating the name Suzuki ‘Think japanese like Honda’.

He has referred to Rhianna, although placing the blame on another inmate & he wrote letters to his lawyer &I think maybe police (ai’d have to check) when his mum asked him if he was involved in Rhianna.

He has referred to Rhianna, although placing the blame on another inmate & he wrote letters to his lawyer &I think maybe police (ai’d have to check) when his mum asked him if he was involved in Rhianna.
Had not heard this

Had not heard this
Rust is bigger than anyone thinks, as in bigger than Milat. Through sketchy confessions, bits & pieces he has disclosed 7 & started in 1982. Ive read the whole statement given by the inmate. The information was not public & police didnt know some details so it all measured up. He has always been the lead to his own demise, phone calls with no distortion, the list goes on. Rust is looking fairly good for this one, but a time on the 7th needs to be confirmed. Do you know about any history of Rusts family at all?

Rust is bigger than anyone thinks, as in bigger than Milat. Through sketchy confessions, bits & pieces he has disclosed 7 & started in 1982. Ive read the whole statement given by the inmate. The information was not public & police didnt know some details so it all measured up. He has always been the lead to his own demise, phone calls with no distortion, the list goes on. Rust is looking fairly good for this one, but a time on the 7th needs to be confirmed. Do you know about any history of Rusts family at all?
If its not public I cant have read it

Yeah I cant see Rust being Milat. Hes just a fat loser that has a big mouth. He couldnt hold back if Milat was considered bigger and better

Remove this Banner Ad

Back