Unsolved Rhianna Barreau - Adelaide schoolgirl disappearance

JWS2019

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Looking through past offenders - there is actually quite a lot for all states I.e. attempted abductions quite frightening really!

Quite a few are sexual offences committed by a person of trust I.e teacher, sporting leader, church etc.
In my opinion perhaps these should be left out as prospects for this case as the MO is quite different - just wondering what you guys think? MO is likely to be drive by opportunistic or home abduction either by stalking or someone known to Rhianna IMO.

so short story long ! Does this rule out teachers and the likes? That took opportunity in their environment? Hope that makes sense!

Also off topic again sorry... I think Louise belle case is interesting that the cops knew it was Phennig (albeit 2nd time lucky) and had known so for 20 years. However they could not do anything about it until science improved. There was minimal information shared given they knew it was him. I feel not a lot was shared on this case similarly to Rhianna.

Do they know who it is but have nothing to prove so they are holding whatever cards they have close to their chest?

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Looking through past offenders - there is actually quite a lot for all states I.e. attempted abductions quite frightening really!

Quite a few are sexual offences committed by a person of trust I.e teacher, sporting leader, church etc.
In my opinion perhaps these should be left out as prospects for this case as the MO is quite different - just wondering what you guys think? MO is likely to be drive by opportunistic or home abduction either by stalking or someone known to Rhianna IMO.

so short story long ! Does this rule out teachers and the likes? That took opportunity in their environment? Hope that makes sense!

Also off topic again sorry... I think Louise belle case is interesting that the cops knew it was Phennig (albeit 2nd time lucky) and had known so for 20 years. However they could not do anything about it until science improved. There was minimal information shared given they knew it was him. I feel not a lot was shared on this case similarly to Rhianna.

Do they know who it is but have nothing to prove so they are holding whatever cards they have close to their chest?
Neighbours? People who lived close by? An older male neighbour -ie teen to early 20s?

johnymac1

All Australian
Nov 6, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Neighbours? People who lived close by? An older male neighbour -ie teen to early 20s?
I would have thought if it was an older male, say 40+. then he would be the only one thats involved.
If it was a younger male, then its likely up to five people could know what happened.
With more people involved, theres a greater probability of someone leaking info.
hopefuly someone spills the beans !

Raisedeyebrow

Debutant
May 13, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

What about someone close in the family, did mum have a boyfriend. Who were the males in Rhianna s life? Step dad or the like

bluegirlz

Senior List
Jul 18, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
No sorry bluegirlz only bits and pieces... Of an attempt around the same time.
Edit to add:

I have reviewed a couple of podcasts to see if there was an extra info:

true crimes sisters-
- channel 7 advised they were reinvestigating someone Rhianna would have known- but not related (police deny but channel 7 stand by their comments)
a bit more detail on the Torana:
-White 2 dr Torana SLR5000 vic plates, that had been sanded back and had grey primer on it.
- unconfirmed that several woman where followed by a Torana (gathered from SAPOL Facebook site comments and unconfirmed)
- neighbour saw a Torana parked in street in days leading up to her disappearance but not after

USA podcast - (Disclaimer skip forward about 30 minutes to get to Rihanna’s case (thanks JMac!)

• Mentions loosely that a potential suspect option could be a parent of a friend
General consensus she arrived home and the state of the house being that she had recently left for a reason either by choice or has answered the door to someone known to her or an authority figure.

At her age I can imagine feeling pretty independent being left alone for the day and possibly leave the house for a short time to see a friend or go for a walk - but the TV blaring does not seem to fit in with this?

My thoughts are answered the door to someone.

Is it strange that it was school holidays and the brother was on school camp? Maybe it was a sporting camping or similar just never heard of school camps being during the holidays. (Not that this really adds anything either way) did someone know the brother was on camp and Rhianna was home alone?

Ok, found an article The Age 4th Dec 1992.

Note the car description of a LH 4 doorTorana and also a description of TWO males.

After looking into this attempted abduction, information printed v’s information received are somewhat different.

Attachments

• EC2E8C61-7162-41C4-8327-691CA0250C2C.jpeg
    EC2E8C61-7162-41C4-8327-691CA0250C2C.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 95

JWS2019

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

Note the car description of a LH 4 doorTorana and also a description of TWO males.

After looking into this attempted abduction, information printed v’s information received are somewhat different.
Great find! Ok... four door Torana in print and also “two people”.

No colour mentioned either?

bluegirlz

Senior List
Jul 18, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Articles from The Age - 4th & 10th Nov 1992.

Attachments

• A8D24405-97E2-4470-8252-1D0C981D0318.png
    A8D24405-97E2-4470-8252-1D0C981D0318.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • 7C057912-B74A-42DB-8790-CCAEBB9173A3.png
    7C057912-B74A-42DB-8790-CCAEBB9173A3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 76

bluegirlz

Senior List
Jul 18, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton

Sorry this is the attempted abduction article.

Attachments

• 741AF124-D545-4B0E-B83B-5E1B696B6AB3.png
    741AF124-D545-4B0E-B83B-5E1B696B6AB3.png
    606.4 KB · Views: 75

bluegirlz

Senior List
Jul 18, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
H

Hmmmm..Louise Bell case...too many questions on that one. Im currently reading both judgments (Geesing & Pfennig) & there are too many questions, even relating to the DNA found IMO.

but thats a whole new thread!

bluegirlz

Senior List
Jul 18, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton

IMO this was pure opportunity.

Firstly, her original plans were to meet her Mum at Colonnades.
Due to the snap bus strike that day, her plans changed to going to the local Reynella Shopping Centre (now known as Southgate Shopping Centre).
Given they were plans made only between themselves, it could not have been a premeditated abduction.
I believe she was seen & that was it, opportunity was there. Gutsy perp though, broad daylight, no disguise so not worried about being indentified, possibly indicating not local.

Raisedeyebrow

Debutant
May 13, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I recall at the time that police were looking into a male in the family, I thought it was defacto or stepdad figure who was supposedly abusing her, got her pregnant and killed her. Police suspected she was buried at a bushland property owner by him and he was blocking access.

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
IMO this was pure opportunity.

Firstly, her original plans were to meet her Mum at Colonnades.
Due to the snap bus strike that day, her plans changed to going to the local Reynella Shopping Centre (now known as Southgate Shopping Centre).
Given they were plans made only between themselves, it could not have been a premeditated abduction.
I believe she was seen & that was it, opportunity was there. Gutsy perp though, broad daylight, no disguise so not worried about being indentified, possibly indicating not local.
I agree with most.

The last line can apply to a local because they tend to blend in more than 'strangers'

Though I do note the point about identification being easier

bluegirlz

Senior List
Jul 18, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I recall at the time that police were looking into a male in the family, I thought it was defacto or stepdad figure who was supposedly abusing her, got her pregnant and killed her. Police suspected she was buried at a bushland property owner by him and he was blocking access.
Have never heard this at all through all my research. Was this an article?

bluegirlz

Senior List
Jul 18, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I agree with most.

The last line can apply to a local because they tend to blend in more than 'strangers'

Though I do note the point about identification being easier
Whoever was driving around trying to pull people in had no issues with being seen at all, which is strange.

has anyone ever seen any articles about her keys & the man who returned and found them only to have them disappear?

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I thought it was implied - as that is who the police ( and public) think of straight away

In this article recapping the story https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03...ystery-that-may-never-be-solved/11905170?nw=0

A few things stand out - this was in 1992 these words were spoken : a lot of people took it to mean a family member - but it could be a neighbour as well

Almost three decades after a 12-year-old schoolgirl went missing in broad daylight — her disappearance remains a mystery. To this day the case is still open, and authorities believe her killer may be "closer than people think".

We then have this statement - which will be expanded on after

"There were a couple of reported sightings in Acre Avenue and we spent a lot of time establishing whether they were legitimate and accurate and we came to the conclusion they most likely weren't associated with Rhianna Barreau."

Back then his housemate was one of the witnesses.

"He said he was sitting out at the front of the deli and saw suspicious people in a Torana but they could have just been suspicious people and might have had nothing to do with it," he said.

If the police think Rhianna wasnt on Acre Ave then the Torana may be a false lead - unless the speculation is the Torana followed her home - again this would stand out and the older couple next door neighbours would have said so - only 1 person mentioned the Torana - someone who lived ''close by''

Now I'm no language expert but I can spot inconsistency when I see it - what do others think? This is the neighbours housemate

" didn't really know her a lot. wasn't here, didn't see anything and couldn't protect her so it's just happened.

He lived next door but ''didnt know her a lot' - that may be true - but in the 90s most people knew of their neighbours. His next few words really stand out to me . It reads like a lot of denial rather than a general statement ( and yes I could be reading way too much into it)

I wasnt here - I couldnt protect her - its just happened

That reads to me like somebody who does know and was there . The bolded words stand out as someone who was a bystander to an event they had no control over but were more scared of someone more than the police

This last segment reads a little off to me also

Police told the paper the man had come to the location — more than a month after Rhianna's disappearance — because his "conscience was bothering him".

On the afternoon she went missing, he said he had seen a girl matching Rhianna's description near a white Torana in the same location.

Instead of going to the police he rang them from a phonebox across the road????????

I wonder if this witness and the housemate knew each other .

Sorry I got carried away after re-reading this article - the ''close by ' was how a family member or neighbour may have been implicated

Remember talking to a mate once who said her " Dad " killed her and buried her in the backyard.

Only time i've ever heard that said. ( This would've been a good 20 years + back. )

Raisedeyebrow

Debutant
May 13, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
From police shared privately a long time ago. I was younger and I'm sure it was this case. The police quotes have said it was someone closer than people may think. This may validate my recollection. I dont see this police person nowadays to bring it up. When I get the opportunity I will.

bluegirlz

Senior List
Jul 18, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
I thought it was implied - as that is who the police ( and public) think of straight away

In this article recapping the story https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03...ystery-that-may-never-be-solved/11905170?nw=0

A few things stand out - this was in 1992 these words were spoken : a lot of people took it to mean a family member - but it could be a neighbour as well

Almost three decades after a 12-year-old schoolgirl went missing in broad daylight — her disappearance remains a mystery. To this day the case is still open, and authorities believe her killer may be "closer than people think".

We then have this statement - which will be expanded on after

"There were a couple of reported sightings in Acre Avenue and we spent a lot of time establishing whether they were legitimate and accurate and we came to the conclusion they most likely weren't associated with Rhianna Barreau."

Back then his housemate was one of the witnesses.

"He said he was sitting out at the front of the deli and saw suspicious people in a Torana but they could have just been suspicious people and might have had nothing to do with it," he said.

If the police think Rhianna wasnt on Acre Ave then the Torana may be a false lead - unless the speculation is the Torana followed her home - again this would stand out and the older couple next door neighbours would have said so - only 1 person mentioned the Torana - someone who lived ''close by''

Now I'm no language expert but I can spot inconsistency when I see it - what do others think? This is the neighbours housemate

" didn't really know her a lot. wasn't here, didn't see anything and couldn't protect her so it's just happened.

He lived next door but ''didnt know her a lot' - that may be true - but in the 90s most people knew of their neighbours. His next few words really stand out to me . It reads like a lot of denial rather than a general statement ( and yes I could be reading way too much into it)

I wasnt here - I couldnt protect her - its just happened

That reads to me like somebody who does know and was there . The bolded words stand out as someone who was a bystander to an event they had no control over but were more scared of someone more than the police

This last segment reads a little off to me also

Police told the paper the man had come to the location — more than a month after Rhianna's disappearance — because his "conscience was bothering him".

On the afternoon she went missing, he said he had seen a girl matching Rhianna's description near a white Torana in the same location.

Instead of going to the police he rang them from a phonebox across the road????????

I wonder if this witness and the housemate knew each other .

Sorry I got carried away after re-reading this article - the ''close by ' was how a family member or neighbour may have been implicated
I never heard of family members or similar being implicated, I thought it was more directed to a neighbourly aspect....Which was why I have previously said the ‘housemate’ would be someone of interest aswell.
Although not a lot is said about him and his response was extremely strange, perhaps he did see someone, but knows who it was?
If you watch that clip I put up, its based on this article, you will note the keys being spoken about.
This is interesting, because the man reported his sighting a couple of months later, when he grew a conscience.
He went back & looked where he saw her and found a set of keys (2mths later once the streets, padocks etc were already searched for evidence) he finds the keys?
I dont know where the phone box was but assuming Acre Ace.
I am sure he was, at the time, driving up David Tce towards Acre Ave, which is just about impossible to see her on Highwray Drv or she was closer to Acre Ave, which would be consistent with the 4pm sighting.
But, nothing has ever been mentioned about the keys, so either he saw something happen or he has some involvement in her abduction.
On the Australian Missing Persons site, the police stated;

“She does appear to have left the house in an orderly manner. There was no break and enter, there wasn’t a struggle and the house wasn’t a mess.

“There is an absence of any neighbourhood disturbance, screams, anything like that in that vicinity that day.

By stating that, it implies she also had her keys with her, as the door was locked behind her.

Then the housemate is just suspect because of his replies. Maybe he did see something but can’t come forward because he knew who it was? strange remarks to make.
Its almost like he is offering a reason as to why he couldn’t help her? Feels a sense of responsibility for not being able to stop it? But he is also on my list to find out more about.

Both could also be innocently a witnesses to an abduction.

bluegirlz

Senior List
Jul 18, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
From police shared privately a long time ago. I was younger and I'm sure it was this case. The police quotes have said it was someone closer than people may think. This may validate my recollection. I dont see this police person nowadays to bring it up. When I get the opportunity I will.
Interesting, her Dad at that stage lived on the Gold Coast & had remarried in Dec of 1991. He has been 100% cleared.
I have never heard or read of Paula having a partner/ex/friend at all. There has never been anything stated and the family is and has always been very private, only in recent years have been making statements.
I read somewhere once that Rhianna had an older boyfriend, but that was checked and confirmed as incorrect very early on.

JWS2019

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
H

Hmmmm..Louise Bell case...too many questions on that one. Im currently reading both judgments (Geesing & Pfennig) & there are too many questions, even relating to the DNA found IMO.

but thats a whole new thread!
On the judgements 100% right... we’ll leave that for another time!

JWS2019

Team Captain
Nov 30, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I never heard of family members or similar being implicated, I thought it was more directed to a neighbourly aspect....Which was why I have previously said the ‘housemate’ would be someone of interest aswell.
Although not a lot is said about him and his response was extremely strange, perhaps he did see someone, but knows who it was?
If you watch that clip I put up, its based on this article, you will note the keys being spoken about.
This is interesting, because the man reported his sighting a couple of months later, when he grew a conscience.
He went back & looked where he saw her and found a set of keys (2mths later once the streets, padocks etc were already searched for evidence) he finds the keys?
I dont know where the phone box was but assuming Acre Ace.
I am sure he was, at the time, driving up David Tce towards Acre Ave, which is just about impossible to see her on Highwray Drv or she was closer to Acre Ave, which would be consistent with the 4pm sighting.
But, nothing has ever been mentioned about the keys, so either he saw something happen or he has some involvement in her abduction.
On the Australian Missing Persons site, the police stated;

“She does appear to have left the house in an orderly manner. There was no break and enter, there wasn’t a struggle and the house wasn’t a mess.

“There is an absence of any neighbourhood disturbance, screams, anything like that in that vicinity that day.

By stating that, it implies she also had her keys with her, as the door was locked behind her.

Then the housemate is just suspect because of his replies. Maybe he did see something but can’t come forward because he knew who it was? strange remarks to make.
Its almost like he is offering a reason as to why he couldn’t help her? Feels a sense of responsibility for not being able to stop it? But he is also on my list to find out more about.

Both could also be innocently a witnesses to an abduction.
The key thing is very odd..

Is the guy that Is in the vid the one that was away though? And another housemate was home?

Back