Unsolved Rhianna Barreau - Adelaide schoolgirl disappearance

Remove this Banner Ad

29 years ago today. Pretty sure in 92 it was also a Thursday.

After so long with nothing, you have to assume the perp is either dead, in prison, or there were just no witnesses/ people with info.

If the perp is dead, then this case likely stays unsolved forever unless her remains are somehow found - and even then, if they somehow can get any foreign DNA from her remains, they'd only be able to test against what the already have on record.

If the perp is in prison (e.g. Mark Rust as some speculate), again it will stay unsolved without a body as killing (and for all we know, rape) of a minor would make them a target in prison.

If they are neither dead or incarcerated, then it'll stay unsolved for as long as the person lives. There may have been others who knew something, but allegiances can change and a million dollar reward is pretty tempting. The one glimmer of hope here is that if her remains are miraculously found, that might convince a person with info to come forward.

After all the reading I've done on this case and driving through her area, my theory is she left the house briefly - possibly even just going toward the deli - and was abducted en route, most likely on Highwray Drive. I think it was likely someone who lived in and knew the area, and had seen her previously, potentially someone she'd seen before too. Given the time of day and it being school holidays, I think sadly there was just no one around at the time to witness.

29 years ago today. Pretty sure in 92 it was also a Thursday.

After so long with nothing, you have to assume the perp is either dead, in prison, or there were just no witnesses/ people with info.

If the perp is dead, then this case likely stays unsolved forever unless her remains are somehow found - and even then, if they somehow can get any foreign DNA from her remains, they'd only be able to test against what the already have on record.

If the perp is in prison (e.g. Mark Rust as some speculate), again it will stay unsolved without a body as killing (and for all we know, rape) of a minor would make them a target in prison.

If they are neither dead or incarcerated, then it'll stay unsolved for as long as the person lives. There may have been others who knew something, but allegiances can change and a million dollar reward is pretty tempting. The one glimmer of hope here is that if her remains are miraculously found, that might convince a person with info to come forward.

After all the reading I've done on this case and driving through her area, my theory is she left the house briefly - possibly even just going toward the deli - and was abducted en route, most likely on Highwray Drive. I think it was likely someone who lived in and knew the area, and had seen her previously, potentially someone she'd seen before too. Given the time of day and it being school holidays, I think sadly there was just no one around at the time to witness.
Want to know how to find him?

You are going to see him at a Doctors Clinic around the anniversary each year. He's not been able to sleep and would take a few days sick-leave around this time of year. He's living close to the abduction site, possibly within 500m. If you drive in the area, between 3pm and 5pm, you might see him arrive home from work. He's working class so don't expect a suit and tie.

Want to know what he looks like? He looks like he's in his sixties, but he's probably in his mid fifties. Age has no been kind to him. He most likely had really bad acne when he was a teenager and would find it hard to attract an keep a mate. i would actually go as far as to say he may be living alone. Most likely, he would not like being caught talking in his sleep. Hence wont have a 2nd person living in the home.

His workmates would find him very odd. He would appear overly accommodating normally trying to please. Also going out of his way to liked. Although this time of year he may change his behaviour, He may go quiet and distant or you will see some other unusual behaviour. Every day he would experience some stress as he would be worried his workmates would work him out. Hopefully some have and will report him

He may have known the victims mother in some way. or they may have worked at the same firm. Some-where along the line, he has singled out his victim. I would suggest he may have tried to groom the victim. In some forums it is suggested police know who he is. He maybe confident that police wont find any evidence. But there are other ways of determining his guilt.

Your guy maybe planning another attack, but he will be unsure if police are still watching him. He may collected a Van or other items to facilitate another abduction. So you might see a plain vehicle in his driveway. The secondary crime scene may not be in his home. if you searched his home at any point you will find firearms and possibly a crossbow. He wont necessary have a smart phone. as its likely to be bugged

Hopefully you can turn something up with your own investigation

You are going to see him at a Doctors Clinic around the anniversary each year. He's not been able to sleep and would take a few days sick-leave around this time of year. He's living close to the abduction site, possibly within 500m. If you drive in the area, between 3pm and 5pm, you might see him arrive home from work. He's working class so don't expect a suit and tie.

Want to know what he looks like? He looks like he's in his sixties, but he's probably in his mid fifties. Age has no been kind to him. He most likely had really bad acne when he was a teenager and would find it hard to attract an keep a mate. i would actually go as far as to say he may be living alone. Most likely, he would not like being caught talking in his sleep. Hence wont have a 2nd person living in the home.

His workmates would find him very odd. He would appear overly accommodating normally trying to please. Also going out of his way to liked. Although this time of year he may change his behaviour, He may go quiet and distant or you will see some other unusual behaviour. Every day he would experience some stress as he would be worried his workmates would work him out. Hopefully some have and will report him

He may have known the victims mother in some way. or they may have worked at the same firm. Some-where along the line, he has singled out his victim. I would suggest he may have tried to groom the victim. In some forums it is suggested police know who he is. He maybe confident that police wont find any evidence. But there are other ways of determining his guilt.

Your guy maybe planning another attack, but he will be unsure if police are still watching him. He may collected a Van or other items to facilitate another abduction. So you might see a plain vehicle in his driveway. The secondary crime scene may not be in his home. if you searched his home at any point you will find firearms and possibly a crossbow. He wont necessary have a smart phone. as its likely to be bugged

What a biazarre post.

Where have you copied that from?

What's this about Johnny, are you audtioning for a gig on Sensing Murder? ;)

What's this about Johnny, are you audtioning for a gig on Sensing Murder? ;)
You know Ive been on this for a while, its a profile of sorts
He is a bit like your MrC of Melbourne, when police were investigating MrC, they sent out a letter to all of the doctors.
Asking the doctors to report anybody with a certain set of symptoms.

I maintain police know who he is. have searched his home and conducted interviews

You know Ive been on this for a while, its a profile of sorts
He is a bit like your MrC of Melbourne, when police were investigating MrC, they sent out a letter to all of the doctors.
Asking the doctors to report anybody with a certain set of symptoms.

I maintain police know who he is. have searched his home and conducted interviews

Would this be the guy the police would be referring to when they implied not that long back that Rhianna's killer was close, I got the impression they meant one of the neighbours or close enough?

I've been taking a dive lately in this case. I live right around the corner, lived down this way all my live. She was two years older than me. I went to Reynella Primary in Carews Fields.

Im suss of the Neighbour looks real drugged out with his comments on the ABC interview. I want to know who this Housemate is. He could have easily been sitting out the front and bam.

Guy about the keys is suss too.

So still is the Torana cause of that other girl who said he was following her. Some daranged dude on the hunt.

Either way it's freaking eerie if the disgusting low life is still living here. I could have walked past so many times and she's buried in backyard without even knowing it.

Listened to all podcasts and recommended the case to some to keep it alive.

Her Mum stayed in the house for like 20 years hoping she's come come. Can't even imagine.

Photo of her name written into the concrete right at end of David Tce. I see it most days so constantly reminded

IMG20211205141634.jpg
IMG20211205141731.jpg
Newsagent today
IMG20211214185558.jpg

I've been taking a dive lately in this case. I live right around the corner, lived down this way all my live. She was two years older than me. I went to Reynella Primary in Carews Fields.

Im suss of the Neighbour looks real drugged out with his comments on the ABC interview. I want to know who this Housemate is. He could have easily been sitting out the front and bam.

Guy about the keys is suss too.

So still is the Torana cause of that other girl who said he was following her. Some daranged dude on the hunt.

Either way it's freaking eerie if the disgusting low life is still living here. I could have walked past so many times and she's buried in backyard without even knowing it.

Listened to all podcasts and recommended the case to some to keep it alive.

Her Mum stayed in the house for like 20 years hoping she's come come. Can't even imagine.

Photo of her name written into the concrete right at end of David Tce. I see it most days so constantly reminded

View attachment 1314879
View attachment 1314880
Newsagent today
View attachment 1314881

The crazed dude in the white car lives on Suzanne Avenue. pretty sure police are aware of that guy.

I've often thought about the keys lead as well.

Given the man described keys thought to have been Rhiannas, it's fair to say whoever made that call is the perp. Could be a local, could be Rust, could be someone completely unknown to cops.

I think though that this is why the reward is a million bucks - I reckon Major Crime have been able to identify who the voice belongs to. The problem is, that still is nowhere near enough to convict without a body and some evidence they were with Rhianna that day. Major Crime just need that piece of the puzzle to put someone at the scene or to help find her body.

Hey, new to this forum but this thread is a very interesting read. I grew up in Salisbury but now live in Morphett vale and remembered this case. I think you're spot on about the friends - I went down a bit of a rabbit hole on this case and found this thread

There's a person who mentions rhianna may have been seeing someone older, and others seem to know who is being talked about. Even police have used the words "allegiances change over time" in statements, which makes me think they have someone in mind but no evidence.

Kind of freaky to think the perpetrator may still live on Highwray drive or Wakefield ave.
Link doesnt work anymore?
Sorry to ask almost a year late ;
Is this video still available somewhere ?

So I was at Southgate yesterday and decided to recreate her walk on my my home. Not exactly cause it's changed a bit. Couple interesting things. As I walked down Highway Dr towards her house you pass which I gather was the old reception area for the Primary School. It is now a closed up, run down, graffiti trashed building. But on the sign which I found interesting and doesn't show on Google Maps was this:
IMG20220125161021.jpg

Rust! I couldn't make out what the note said. For all time..Interesting nonetheless as this is metres from her house. We know Rust is in jail but someone that knows something?

Remember the keys on Highway Dr, Rust has a habit of calling the police remember.

Also initial reports of her being seen at 4pm at the corner David Tce and Acre Avenue. That is the Deli. She would not have walked to the Deli via Acre as it's easier, quicker from her house to go via Highwray.

As you go up or down Highwray Dr it is literally opposite deli carpark. Right there is also about 100m both sides of the roads of side fencing of the houses. I didn't take a photo but can.

It was that housemate who seems very drugged our to me said people were acting suss in the carpark. He may have misidentified the car completely.

I offer up a theory:
She made it home with the card. Popped back out and went to the deli for whatever reason and upon walking back home upon that 100m stretch was pulled into a car.

Of it was Rust, well thank god that pin dick is already doing life but certainly his MO. You have to remember you don't admit tape or murder of a underage girl or boy in jail, you'd be dead pretty quickly.

Food for thought. I probably forgot something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I was at Southgate yesterday and decided to recreate her walk on my my home. Not exactly cause it's changed a bit. Couple interesting things. As I walked down Highway Dr towards her house you pass which I gather was the old reception area for the Primary School. It is now a closed up, run down, graffiti trashed building. But on the sign which I found interesting and doesn't show on Google Maps was this:
View attachment 1316483

Rust! I couldn't make out what the note said. For all time..Interesting nonetheless as this is metres from her house. We know Rust is in jail but someone that knows something?

Remember the keys on Highway Dr, Rust has a habit of calling the police remember.

Also initial reports of her being seen at 4pm at the corner David Tce and Acre Avenue. That is the Deli. She would not have walked to the Deli via Acre as it's easier, quicker from her house to go via Highwray.

As you go up or down Highwray Dr it is literally opposite deli carpark. Right there is also about 100m both sides of the roads of side fencing of the houses. I didn't take a photo but can.

It was that housemate who seems very drugged our to me said people were acting suss in the carpark. He may have misidentified the car completely.

I offer up a theory:
She made it home with the card. Popped back out and went to the deli for whatever reason and upon walking back home upon that 100m stretch was pulled into a car.

Of it was Rust, well thank god that pin dick is already doing life but certainly his MO. You have to remember you don't admit tape or murder of a underage girl or boy in jail, you'd be dead pretty quickly.

Food for thought. I probably forgot something.
Yes you forgot to check for type errors.
Good work with the walk through and photo.
That rust name tag what a shocking surprise!
What is going on with that notice ?
Why would a school allow a perps name graffitied on their sign? On a notice so old that its un readable -
Seems absurd.

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk

Sorry about the typos. We'll blame it Google auto-correct. :p

Yeah I got chills seeing that note. Actually the whole time. Yikes

Yes you forgot to check for type errors.
Good work with the walk through and photo.
That rust name tag what a shocking surprise!
What is going on with that notice ?
Why would a school allow a perps name graffitied on their sign? On a notice so old that its un readable -
Seems absurd.

Sent from my SM-J320ZN using Tapatalk
dont quote me, but i think "rust" is a gang in the southern suburbs. A bit like "rbc" reynella boys club

Are you sure about that johnymac1. Usually kept to 3 letters. I went to Reynella East High and knew RBC (Reynella Boys Crew), like Noarlunga, NVC (Notorious Vandels Crew) or COA (Criminals On Arrival), even 73A which was a bus or train station

If it was Rust he's where he belongs. None of this matters of course if her family can't put her to rest. Lucky for people like that to offer it up on there death bed. Absolutely zero conscience. Whoever it is completely sub-human lifeform. I care about this case. Where is she is haunting.

Nice work on retracing her steps JNW81.

The only thing I disagree with is the deli part, I don't think she ever got there as someone would've surely seen her. I think she left the house briefly and was intercepted in that stretch on Highwray Dve that only has houses on one side.

Last edited:
If it was Rust he's where he belongs. None of this matters of course if her family can't put her to rest. Lucky for people like that to offer it up on there death bed. Absolutely zero conscience. Whoever it is completely sub-human lifeform. I care about this case. Where is she is haunting.
All I'll say is....if Major Crime were given a potential burial location, don't expect that they would go down there with shovels. I've been talking to a PI who was told by police that until someone finds remains, there is no investigation. Unless they can link a suspect definitively to her abduction, I sadly wouldn't expect her to be found any time soon.

All I'll say is....if Major Crime were given a potential burial location, don't expect that they would go down there with shovels. I've been talking to a PI who was told by police that until someone finds remains, there is no investigation. Unless they can link a suspect definitively to her abduction, I sadly wouldn't expect her to be found any time soon.

Interesting. Is Rust considered a suspect by SAPOL? I had a small dig around online and couldn't really find any other murders he's suspected of potentially having committed.

Interesting. Is Rust considered a suspect by SAPOL? I had a small dig around online and couldn't really find any other murders he's suspected of potentially having committed.
From what I've been told he is, along with the usual other ones mentioned e.g. the neighbour.

There are some other ones that have potentially been connected to Rust as the MO (lack of witnesses, female victim, proximity to his home/work/known whereabouts) but without his cooperation they will stay cold. 2 of the names I've heard are Renata Woolanin and Gail King.

From what I've been told he is, along with the usual other ones mentioned e.g. the neighbour.

There are some other ones that have potentially been connected to Rust as the MO (lack of witnesses, female victim, proximity to his home/work/known whereabouts) but without his cooperation they will stay cold. 2 of the names I've heard are Renata Woolanin and Gail King.
Bump for Rianna feel her case didn’t get as much attention.. as some of the others in Australia maybe for strategic reasons or who knows. This one would be a great one to flag for escalation.

Bump for Rianna feel her case didn’t get as much attention.. as some of the others in Australia maybe for strategic reasons or who knows. This one would be a great one to flag for escalation.
Her case was huge at the time, but hasn't gone down in infamy as much as the Beaumonts and Adelaide Oval abduction.

The pessimist in me thinks that it literally was a single offender acting alone and that there were no witnesses. Even though SAPOL have suspects, without a body or a lead from someone with knowledge there is nowhere for it to go. Whether it was someone she knew or not, a confession is likely the only way we'll ever find out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back