Rhyce Shaw & David Teague. Why so successful?

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatever he’s doing Shaw it’s working but if my own personal view reflects what others think I’d sign him because it’s also about the bottom line.
Whether it’s maintainable only time will tell but right now for the first time in a long, long time I look forward to actually watching North games and quite a bit actually.
Carlton too actually.

Unfortunately for Shaw it appears the job is Longmire's after that little slip on 360

giphy.gif

The same goes in any sport, when you take over during the season the players see it as a fresh start and play harder to please the new coach and get on the list etc. They also feel like they have a lot more freedom and get on a little bit of a roll.

The real pressure starts the season after when they have targets to hit, set up their own playing system, bring players in etc. The problem is the clubs then have to take a risk on the guy to see if it will work or not. It can work well or it can go downwards like Ole at Man Utd.

I'd probably sign them up for 3 years before one of the rival clubs poach them

They are both future premiership coaches from what I can see

The same goes in any sport, when you take over during the season the players see it as a fresh start and play harder to please the new coach and get on the list etc. They also feel like they have a lot more freedom and get on a little bit of a roll.

The real pressure starts the season after when they have targets to hit, set up their own playing system, bring players in etc. The problem is the clubs then have to take a risk on the guy to see if it will work or not. It can work well or it can go downwards like Ole at Man Utd.

Yes or could be Paul Roos, hard to say really.

A coach in isolation doesn’t fix things, but I think at Carlton if we continue to go well, say win another 4 or so Teague gets the job and we just bolster his support staff.

He seems to keep things simple and move things around when things aren’t working. Kind of like, well, a coach.

Bolts just didn’t do anything determined for his own plan to be proven right with his own methods.

Head coach is playing the long game. Trying to teach defensive systems that are struggling short term but should (could?) hold them in good stead in the long run, refusing to play proven high quality tagger in midfield to teach young mids they need to run both ways, etc.

Interim coach is going all in on wins here & now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both teams playing very enjoyable footy. North look rough and tough, and the Blues throw it around like its school holidays. Comp getting pretty even. And low scoring like good footy should be, have to earn them. I wonder about the gen gap between coaches and players, if trimming it down can make a difference in some cases.

While you're at it -
aka stands for also known as. Stop misusing it, when you should use i.e.
Someone displays bias, meaning they are biased.
When two teams play, they do not verse each other. The word is versus.

That feels better.
It does feel better, doesn't it? But even worse than people actually making those mistakes is when they defend them with statements like: "this is how the words are used now, you're using the old-fashioned usage". This fits nicely with appalling fallacies like: everything is opinion, everybody is entitled to their opinion and all opinions are equal. Thanks social media...

Sounds like Longmire is off to North the money would too good to refuse imo

I doubt it.

This is classic Pickering. Plays out his clients contracts in the media, runs up the media on the alternative option, re-signs for big bucks and a bigger extension.

There is no ******* way North is offering Longmire $1.6m a season as has been leaked (Oh, who could it possibly be..?)

The obvious reason, is that the opposition can find it difficult to coach against them.

Clubs have spent the past few years forward scouting and working out how other clubs play. They all knew exactly how Brad Scott's North played, and how Bolton's Carlton played. But they wouldn't have a ******* clue how they are going to setup and play under Teague and Shaw.

It's the same reason some sides come out and start the season well when they've tweaked things during the off-season - then fall in a hole once the rest of the comp works out what they're doing.

A little bit of unpredictability goes a long way in modern footy.

Anyone else think that Paul Roos wsd weird last night on the couch. His argument was that north should sign Rhys Shaw as senior coach within the next couple of weeks whilst there is no way that David Teague should be offered the carlton job. My take is that he is angling for a "director of coaching" role at Carlton but it just sounded completely irrational to take two nearly identical situations and come up two completely different outcomes.

While you're at it -

That feels better.
Free rein, not reign.
Toe the line, not tow.
Shoo-in, not shoe.
Go to Whoa, not woe.

While you're at it -

That feels better.

These grammatical errors are 'literally' the worst things in the world..... ;)

It's all above the shoulders. Once the coach gets the sack the players know they're next, it's more of an idictment of the playing list than anything else. The new caretaker coach is in an enviable position as he's in charge of a list of players whose reputations, $value and overall careers are at stake, of course they're going to respond. The reset button gets pushed again when the final list is settled for 2020, don't be fooled, both North and Carlton will make major changes at the end of the season. Right now, some blokes are playing for survival.

Because a bunch of complacent individuals are now playing for their careers knowing full well a new coach has the mandate to sweep anyone he wants out the door. Classic self interest at play

What is this so called success really? In round 5 Carlton lost to GC by 2 points and should’ve won, then in round 6 had their best win of the year destroying the Bulldogs by 44 points and then were extremely unlucky to lose by 5 points to the Hawks.

Carlton were really on the right path under Bolton except for a few big losses that I think rightly or wrongly created some doubt at board level. Their current form is consistent with their early season form they’ve just been luckier and had the ball bounce their way a few times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back