Analysis Rhyce Shaw - Expectations during caretaker

Remove this Banner Ad

What do we, as supporters, want from Rhyce?

Do we want a stable, "stay the course" coach until end of year for highest ladder position?

Do we want a coach who ultimately stays the same but challenges the group, gives a personal view, makes individual tough decisions?

Do we want a complete change in outlook, throw the last decade away, and start afresh regardless of results and reset for 2020?

Or (d) do we want a coach who says, I'm not changing much because I was part of the decision-making team around game plan and player selection, and fans should stop claiming that the previous coach was a one-man band?

I'm sure Zonder has better quips than me. So, no.

Well you do always back North staff even if proven incorrect. (repeatedly)

It's funny and stupid at the same time.

Back to Rhyce......

Last edited:
I'd like to see a better defensive setup in the middle and drastically improved positioning of our players which allow them to make instinctive decisions. The clearance massacre should die down in theory.

Time will tell but I wonder if the club's gone from the frying pan into the fat in appointing Shaw rather than say Crocker as caretaker. One of the main knocks on Brad was that he wouldn't develop the youth. Shaw wants to be a senior coach so there may be a disincentive for him to do the same. Even the media have selected his must win games etc. Ahead of 2020, we need to know where the younger players are really at so we can make informed decisions on trading etc. I hope the Board's thought this through.

Expectations would be to display that players are playing for their careers not just making the mortgage payment.

Some actual moves during a game.

More of the structure against the Dogs than the loose in the hole stuff against Sydney.

To explain to me why Ronke cannot get a game but we play Turner every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or (d) do we want a coach who says, I'm not changing much because I was part of the decision-making team around game plan and player selection, and fans should stop claiming that the previous coach was a one-man band?

Even if that's accurate are you suggesting Rhyce should stick with what's not working out of some sort of honour?

Allow players much more leeway to play on instinct. Not destroy blokes by playing them with injuries. Rotate players through VFL and AFL more often, mostly based on form but also with an eye as to who might still be around in the next 2+ years and who would benefit from Senior level exposure.

This (especially the first two sentences) and kicking practice.

Kick straight ffs.

Yeah lets see what hall and ahern can do, if they are rubbish they can move them on but Ahern showed last year he can do it and he looks trimmer now. Hall was traded in for a reason, lets see if he can provide that spark.

Hall - 2 goals and 20 possessions in his last game. Since then apparently he's been tackling and defending harder.

Ahern - some really high possession games last year against good opposition.

So far :

Box 1, Maiden Presser, tick

Box 2, Selection of team, (personally I do not want to see no change), but the selected team should somehow have his stamp on it.

Box 3, Performance in the box on Friday night, (hope to see some "tweaks), good luck Rhyse, an upset win to start your journey would be great.

Box 4, Post Match presser, probably more important than your 1st, much bigger audience for sure.

It might be embarrassing to the match committee for sure.......

.......but i bloody well hope it happens!!
The second option handball works, if they use the first option handball is picked off and usually ads too much pressure! The handball that flys past option one to the player deeper outside is good! But if they cant pull tht off then bugger off that game plan

Glad I could give you a laugh. We'll see who is stupid ...

For heavens sake.

If a coach is so unimportant (like you've written in in multple threads) why do we even bother having one?

Why did we change if in your opinion it will make little to no difference anyway?

Unbelievable stuff!

Pay that.

I don't.

Changing the coach, who whilst not a one man band no, does have a much higher responsibility and can bring about much larger change on field compared to other roles within the club.

For heavens sake.

If a coach is so unimportant (like you've written in in multple threads) why do we even bother having one?

Why did we change if in your opinion it will make little to no difference anyway?

Unbelievable stuff!
Admiral, time will tell clearly. But in your dislike of BS you clearly over estimate the effect of the coach on the club.

Admiral, time will tell clearly. But in your dislike of BS you clearly over estimate the effect of the coach on the club.

Oh FFS.

Let's just have Scamper brought in then, cost us $1,000 in cat food a year, and expect our results to be the same.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back