Coach Rhyce Shaw - got the gig as North Melbourne coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wish him all the best but cannot believe the club has conducted anything like a thorough process. I believe there will be coaches available in a few weeks who North would never have considered. Its certainly a ballsy decision on the back of 3 losses in a row - and now questions around the fact that North may have had one hand tied behind their back having to continue to pay out Scott, potentially curtailing their ability to pay a big fish top dollar. Interesting indeed.

Wish him all the best but cannot believe the club has conducted anything like a thorough process. I believe there will be coaches available in a few weeks who North would never have considered. Its certainly a ballsy decision on the back of 3 losses in a row - and now questions around the fact that North may have had one hand tied behind their back having to continue to pay out Scott, potentially curtailing their ability to pay a big fish top dollar. Interesting indeed.

I think once Simpson and Horse knocked them back it just made the most sense. It’s not as if there is a heap of experience out there available. Might as well go for someone who knows the club well rather then another inexperienced assistant from elsewhere.

I agree though they should have waited for the season to end. For all we know though, other clubs were sniffing around and they had to do something now.

Happy for him and who knows, in time this may be a great appointment.

Definitely seems risky though...he's only had something like 3-4 years coaching experience and while North have certainly improved under him, his record is 4-4 at the moment. Compare that to David Teague, who has 12 years coaching experience, which includes coaching his own team and being at 4 AFL clubs, and his record this year with Carlton is 5-2 (with both losses being by less than a goal).

North have been convinced by what they've seen him to do these last 8 weeks, but can't help but think he's a bit too inexperienced for the top job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a stuff up. Gave them a sugar hit and then gets the job for three years without even bothering talking to other candidates. Not like any other club was going to pinch him.

Happy for him and who knows, in time this may be a great appointment.

Definitely seems risky though...he's only had something like 3-4 years coaching experience and while North have certainly improved under him, his record is 4-4 at the moment. Compare that to David Teague, who has 12 years coaching experience, which includes coaching his own team and being at 4 AFL clubs, and his record this year with Carlton is 5-2 (with both losses being by less than a goal).

North have been convinced by what they've seen him to do these last 8 weeks, but can't help but think he's a bit too inexperienced for the top job.

Have you seen his run in though? Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon, Brisbane, west coast. Hawks and Geelong to come. Brad got out before he knew he would get embarrassed. Teague is likely going to lose the next 4 because he is going to run into a fixture similar to the above.

I reckon Rhyce has the potential to earn more in the next five years than he did in his entire playing career. Who wouldn't take that gig up?

It's funny, I barely recognise him as a Collingwood player, and while I know him as a Sydney premiership player I think in 20+ years time I'll identify him as a North Melbourne coach more than anything else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back