Coach Rhyce Shaw - got the gig as North Melbourne coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think once Simpson and Horse knocked them back it just made the most sense. It’s not as if there is a heap of experience out there available. Might as well go for someone who knows the club well rather then another inexperienced assistant from elsewhere.

This is my view, too. None of the big gun coaches were interested in leaving their current clubs, and Rhys Shaw is a back to back AFLCA Assistant Coach of the Year who is already quite familiar with the list.

Unless you're going to give guys like Voss or Ratten another run as a senior coach, it seems pretty obvious that Shaw was the best coach in waiting for North.

The article I read was quite contradictory - saying that Shaw was he only one who fronted the selection panel but other candidates were “very engaged”. So which is it? They either had their mind made up, are paying out one of the worst coaches of all time still or they did a port Adelaide and panicked and signed him before he could go elsewhere. Weird, what if his first couple and those wins were just lucky?

I reckon Rhyce has the potential to earn more in the next five years than he did in his entire playing career. Who wouldn't take that gig up?

It's funny, I barely recognise him as a Collingwood player, and while I know him as a Sydney premiership player I think in 20+ years time I'll identify him as a North Melbourne coach more than anything else.
Ross Lyon still a Fitzroy man to me!

The article I read was quite contradictory - saying that Shaw was he only one who fronted the selection panel but other candidates were “very engaged”. So which is it? They either had their mind made up, are paying out one of the worst coaches of all time still or they did a port Adelaide and panicked and signed him before he could go elsewhere. Weird, what if his first couple and those wins were just lucky?
Valid points you and others have made. That article did sound abit contradictory agree.

But nothing is garanteed, What if Horse said yes and was a disaster no one knows. As for Shaw 4/4 and two close loses. I'm happy to give Shaw a few years and see how things go. He has impressed everyone since he walked into Arden st,and it snowballed from there.

Last edited:
Can’t really believe it was an exhaustive process when no one else presented. I am sorry, but irrespective how professional AFL is there is this underlying culture where it’s still a local footy club people are running. Probably why we let Roos give Goodwin the nod and didn’t interview 5 other potential coaches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Valid points you and others have made. That article did sound abit contradictory agree.

But nothing is gauranteed, What if Horse said yes and was a disaster no one knows. As for Shaw 4/4 and two close loses. I'm happy to give Shaw a few years and see how things go.
You’ve given him 3 though. We gave Goodwin 4 last year. It’s dangerous. 2 years would have been plenty.

Also maybe he is just really really good. Roos got the job at Sydney in a similar way. We can talk about the process all we want, but as soon as any experienced coach knocked them back then why not? Should it have been Voss instead?

Happy for him and who knows, in time this may be a great appointment.

Definitely seems risky though...he's only had something like 3-4 years coaching experience and while North have certainly improved under him, his record is 4-4 at the moment. Compare that to David Teague, who has 12 years coaching experience, which includes coaching his own team and being at 4 AFL clubs, and his record this year with Carlton is 5-2 (with both losses being by less than a goal).

North have been convinced by what they've seen him to do these last 8 weeks, but can't help but think he's a bit too inexperienced for the top job.
David Teague will be a poor appointment too. The 5-2 is one of the most inflated going around.

Have you seen his run in though? Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon, Brisbane, west coast. Hawks and Geelong to come. Brad got out before he knew he would get embarrassed. Teague is likely going to lose the next 4 because he is going to run into a fixture similar to the above.

Agreed...you destroyed Richmond & Collingwood, i watched those 2 games. Was pretty amazing to watch...high-level footy.

Essendon & Brisbane are the top form teams in the competition and you didn't lose by much.

West Coast @ Optus is usually a graveyard for away teams.

Just a little concerned by Shaw's lack of experience realistically on his CV...but hey, sometimes a guy just 'has it'. I can see why North went for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back