News Rhyce Shaw news in The Age tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

I must say, my first reaction is one of bemusement. I feel a bit iffy about this. Just such a strange set of circumstances all round.

It was a perfect storm of issues, i think if some elements were different it might not have panned out the same way. I think all parties just need to put it behind us and move on.

Making him senior coach? Recruiting Jade Rawlings? Having sh*t line coaches?
Having 18 injured at one point.
Leaks coming out inside camp during the season that certain players and coaches weren't getting recontracted leading to them not doing their jobs?

Having 18 injured at one point.

Not sure how the club is at fault, apart from any mismanagement.

Leaks coming out inside camp during the season that certain players and coaches weren't getting recontracted leading to them not doing their jobs?

I have doubts about this rumour, it didn't make it into the media and something like that is hard to keep out of the media.

Making him senior coach?

Good point. Can't fault his effort and commitment, felt for him and his family when he got crook, he was beset with unforeseeable problems and he always seemed like a good bloke.

But geez some of his coaching in 2020 was bloody ordinary. But anyway, good luck to him and we all move on.

Great to hear Rhyce is alright. I genuinely wish him well at the Suns.

However, I'm hugely surprised that a bloke who was in as bad a space and he was rumoured to be is back in the game so quickly. It was initially said he needed "time away from the game" - that may be some kind of euphemism, but couldn't he have had "time away" for the 3.5 months it's been and come back to North now? What would he have missed that David Noble didn't?
Surely North needed stability and a commitment to be back that Shaw couldn't give?

Seems like a win/win here for all parties. Shaw gets a more discrete role and North lands up with a coach who looks like a very good thing.

Good luck to him.

It beggars belief that the Gold Coast is considered anonymous. What a joke

We dodged a bit fat irrelevant bullet.
what do you mean?

There are plenty of footy fans on the coast but I don’t think many would recognise a guy who last played 10 years ago and had been an assistant coach at another club up until the past 12 months.

it’s not like no one will recognise him but won’t be at anywhere near the same level as Melbourne.

I thought Heath's whack was pretty harsh, but I guess amarfio did address that there wasn't enough support....then again he did also say we had the most staff out of all the teams up there?
So I'm a little confused about where we failed Rhyce

The administration obviously stuffed up with their shambolic football department appointments and it wilted under the first sign of pressure, but it wasn't the fuse that lit the bomb.

The Covid scenario & Rhyce's personal issues set the whole thing off.

Both of these are outside the control of the administration, and folks should remind themselves that I am hardly an apologist for these people.

Anybody who has been through a difficult mental health issue I have empathy for, BUT to put yourself in an AFL cut throat system again is ridiculous at such a short space of time. I just don't like it. What happens if the GC Suns fail to make the finals within the next 2 years? With the amount of first 1st round draft picks they have received over the years it would be an epic fail to not meet these goals. Which in turn puts a massive amount of stress on Shaw. For the Suns to let go multiple assistant and development coaches in 2020, I find it unprofessional to hire someone like Shaw right now. It doesn't look good to me. Maybe we can swap Shaw with Solomon?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand what the article is about. I just don’t know how I feel about paying out a bloke who has a job the following season
North released him from his contract. Regardless of what happens he's required compensation.

When I first saw the news I thought, gee that feels rushed! From everything that was reported in recent months, I wasn't expecting an announcement like this so soon.

Also surprised that he's now decided to move permanently back to the GC, the scene of last seasons implosion. Wouldn't think that place has too many fond memories for him?

Anyway, good luck to him.

I understand what the article is about. I just don’t know how I feel about paying out a bloke who has a job the following season

Who knows what the separation terms where?

I suspect he was given something between 0 and 6months of his contract.

That’s the question isn’t it? Why not at North?

I just don't think it's at all tenable to have last years senior coach as an assistant coach the very next year. That's even before trying to deal with the quagmire that led to this specific circumstance in the first place.

Ok, glad you went out of your way to do that.
Not at all; more fool you for coming in here and out of your way to reply.

I stick by my original post; having been to the GC many times over the past 20 years in and out of season it is an AFL waste land that through our own persistence we avoided certain death as an identity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back