News Rhyce Shaw news in The Age tonight.

Long Live the King

Premiership Player
Feb 24, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sincerely wish him all the best. He appears to have sought help and recovered.
My last observation which wont be popular on what happened and our part in this......well maybe the club stroked his ego a bit, maybe the club listened to the hype, maybe the club didnt have too many options........and just maybe he wasnt quite ready and maybe he got ahead of himself and wasnt prepared to acknowledge he wasnt quite ready and he didnt have the "tools" to deal with the situation and just maybe the club werent ready to deal with a situation they hadnt anticipated..........anyway good luck to him

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Skeptical of the quick turnaround here.

As am I.

But personally I've moved on from the dramas of last year. Hopefully everyone at clubland and the media has too. Unanswered questions, misplaced blame, scapegoats... none of it feels like it matters too much anymore. The club has clearly moved on, given the new coaching regime, and seeing those shiny new draftees on the training track really brought forward the feeling of a new beginning.

I reckon in various ways under Laidley, Scott and Shaw it has been reported that there isn’t enough support around the coach. I don’t know the structure at most clubs and I don’t know if it has been addressed with the appointment of Paul Roos. When he was going for the job Rhyce stated he would like someone in a mentor role, in retrospect maybe they should have appointed someone there before the assistant coaches.

I wish Rhyce the best, he seems like a great bloke and I reckon he gave it everything while he was at the club.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors, Arsenal FC
I can tell you from personal experience that stuff that my wife spent 9 weeks at Epworth Mental Health in Camberwell and the day after being discharged she went back to the same job. She has been at the same job ever since.

Her current job is to review court documents and redacting names and info from child protection docs. Some of the descriptions of what people did to their kids is reprehensible.
However as a social worker, reading the documents was more a trigger of her past experiences through working in Nauru and Youth Justice.
This made her have vivid dreams and sleep issues resulting in her suicidal thoughts. E.g. stepping off a kerb in front of a bus/train.
I think what was missing is that she never processed the past trauma (PTSD) and what the nine weeks taught her was how to process it and deal with it. She is still on medication but she has only had the odd bout of crying.

The fact is she went back to work the next day. People should never underestimate the value in coming back to the job in your recovery and I suspect Rhyce is no different.
He may have had a past experience that surfaced through the pressure and depression of coaching the season we had. Or it may have been the isolation from family coaching away from home again with the season we had. We may never know.
He just needed the help to process it and it's good to see that footy in a less pressure role is important to his recovery.

I wish him well and hope whatever it is that caused it won't be too much of an issue going forward.

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I can tell you from personal experience that stuff that my wife spent 9 weeks at Epworth Mental Health in Camberwell and the day after being discharged she went back to the same job. She has been at the same job ever since.

Her current job is to review court documents and redacting names and info from child protection docs. Some of the descriptions of what people did to their kids is reprehensible.
However as a social worker, reading the documents was more a trigger of her past experiences through working in Nauru and Youth Justice.
This made her have vivid dreams and sleep issues resulting in her suicidal thoughts. E.g. stepping off a kerb in front of a bus/train.
I think what was missing is that she never processed the past trauma (PTSD) and what the nine weeks taught her was how to process it and deal with it. She is still on medication but she has only had the odd bout of crying.

The fact is she went back to work the next day. People should never underestimate the value in coming back to the job in your recovery and I suspect Rhyce is no different.
He may have had a past experience that surfaced through the pressure and depression of coaching the season we had. Or it may have been the isolation from family coaching away from home again with the season we had. We may never know.
He just needed the help to process it and it's good to see that footy in a less pressure role is important to his recovery.

I wish him well and hope whatever it is that caused it won't be too much of an issue going forward.
We'll said

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not at all; more fool you for coming in here and out of your way to reply.

I stick by my original post; having been to the GC many times over the past 20 years in and out of season it is an AFL waste land that through our own persistence we avoided certain death as an identity.
Oh, I didn't catch on that you were saying you are glad NM didn't relocate.
For that I'm glad as well.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I just don't think it's at all tenable to have last years senior coach as an assistant coach the very next year. That's even before trying to deal with the quagmire that led to this specific circumstance in the first place.

Yeah cool. Instead we’ll just pay him while he develops the players of a club we’re competing against.

Last edited:

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah cool. Instead we’ll just pay him while he develops the players have of a club we’re competing against.
Surely we aren't paying him anything, given he stepped away and was unable to continue due to health reasons. You'd think there'd be some kind of insurance involved on behalf of the clubs or the AFL?

SammyRoo

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Great to hear Rhyce is back on-track & not lost to the game 👍

but agree with some in here surprised it came so quick.

Best for all to move on to a next chapter.

Look forward to see what Noble can do 😅

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No way he is paid two salaries when it was he who walked away and we supported his decision to do so.
Surely we aren't paying him anything, given he stepped away and was unable to continue due to health reasons. You'd think there'd be some kind of insurance involved on behalf of the clubs or the AFL?

When he broke down and walked away from coaching I imagine there would’ve
been a pay out. He’s coaching again the following season. Something doesn’t add up.

ChoppyGun

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 19, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When he broke down and walked away from coaching I imagine there would’ve
been a pay out. He’s coaching again the following season. Something doesn’t add up.

It's bullshit is what it is.

If we are paying Shaw next season, when he left on own issues, yet now magically he is working for GC I'll be writing to Buckley.

Back