News Rhyce Shaw news in The Age tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's bullshit is what it is.

If we are paying Shaw next season, when he left on own issues, yet now magically he is working for GC I'll be writing to Buckley.

Are we just assuming that Shaw left absolutely on his own terms? Maybe he just wanted a break but the club chose to make it longer than he planned? I dunno. But there is a strange whiff about all this.

Are we just assuming that Shaw left absolutely on his own terms? Maybe he just wanted a break but the club chose to make it longer than he planned? I dunno. But there is a strange whiff about all this.

I don't know what to know or assume mate.

All I do know is a massive whiff and it's very strange.

That is what happens when you sign a contract, he didn't resign so we offered him a termination payment, he accepted. I still think he wouldn't have been able to go back to senior coaching, but I think development work was much less stressful.

I doubt our termination offer would have been overly generous, probably in the ballpark of 4 months, wasn't that what Rawlings was offered? If he has accepted a new role now and starts this year and we ended up the season in October there probably wouldn't have been much of an overlap.

I do not think it is fair to pile on a guy who was struggling with mental health issues.

What we do know from Ben's Q&A is that we paid out Shaw's contract and we also paid out Scott's contract and we will go into this season with a clean slate.

That is what happens when you sign a contract, he didn't resign so we offered him a termination payment, he accepted. I still think he wouldn't have been able to go back to senior coaching, but I think development work was much less stressful.

I doubt our termination offer would have been overly generous, probably in the ballpark of 4 months, wasn't that what Rawlings was offered? If he has accepted a new role now and starts this year and we ended up the season in October there probably wouldn't have been much of an overlap.

I do not think it is fair to pile on a guy who was struggling with mental health issues.

What we do know from Ben's Q&A is that we paid out Shaw's contract and we also paid out Scott's contract and we will go into this season with a clean slate.

(awaiting Caro & Purples negative articles)

They said that both Rhyce and Brad’s contracts had been settled and the club still managed to turn a small profit iirc

Which means what Luke?

We paid Shaw in advance too?

That is what happens when you sign a contract, he didn't resign so we offered him a termination payment, he accepted.

Based on what Tas? You've seen the numbers?

No one is having a go at Shaw.

Based on what Tas? You've seen the numbers?

No one is having a go at Shaw.

No, but we were criticised in the media for having a very ungenerous termination clause in our coaching contracts and it was why Brown was being a bit of a bitch and saying Voss shouldn't go to us unless he would get guaranteed money. From memory (I could be wrong), it was mentioned in the media that Rawlings was given 4 months.

No, but we were criticised in the media for having a very ungenerous termination clause in our coaching contracts and it was why Brown was being a bit of a b*tch and saying Voss shouldn't go to us unless he would get guaranteed money. From memory (I could be wrong), it was mentioned in the media that Rawlings was given 4 months.

Rawlings contract is standard for assistant coaches.

He felt hard done by but really it's a nothing story as ax at any time.

Media always criticise us? Who cares.

Glad he is ok and back working. I kind of think it all got too much for him in the hub being the most senior figure present. Buckley and Amarfio weren’t there to deal with all the off field bullshit, whinging, wags etc and a lot of it probably ended up falling in his lap. At least the club has mopped up the mess and are now looking ok.

If we are paying Shaw next season, when he left on own issues, yet now magically he is working for GC I'll be writing to Buckley.

Talk about hysteria.

Last year clubs were able to negotiate payouts - 3 to 6 months. Remember when Johno Brown was saying no one should go for a senior coaching gig at north because they could be cut early with little payout?

Amarfio confirmed in the Barrett interview that we would only be paying one Senior coaches wage in 2021.

Whatever we paid, we’re in a better position now than we were 12 months ago. Don’t sweat the small stuff.

When he broke down and walked away from coaching I imagine there would’ve
been a pay out. He’s coaching again the following season. Something doesn’t add up.
Like you, with a lack of transparency to the details you can only say for certain that his recovery is pleasing... but no, it doesn’t quite add up.

This must have been in the works for a month or more, what with interviews, crossing I’s and dotting t’s on his welfare.

Rawlings contract is standard for assistant coaches.

He felt hard done by but really it's a nothing story as ax at any time.

Media always criticise us? Who cares.

Assistants have less favourable terms, for sure.

J Brown was referring to senior coach contracts. He is close friends with Scott, I am guessing he knew the details of Scott's payout.

I am not sure why people are reacting this way, Shaw isn't very old, he has a family to look after, he has to work for a long time to come, it was always about finding some role he was able to perform, he was approached by Gold Coast, he might have taken more time off if he wasn't pursued. If you were in his shoes and you felt you could go back to youth development, what would you do in his shoes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only paying 1 senior salary in 2021 may well be true.

As an accountant you pay Shaw his out early and the Financial Statement is true.

Sure in reality we are paying both but just one doing the job.

Understand yet or do I need to take you back to grade 12?

Our financial reporting period ends 31 October, we had an agreement with Scott to put off the last part of his payout until the 2021-22 financial season after there was concern that there might not be any football played after the lockdown and we were expecting to have to refund a significant number of membership payments. With footy resuming and us having extremely low churn we were able to have a positive outcome. Ben mentioned they paid out Scott's before the end of October and also paid Shaw as well.

I think it is extremely unfair to be pushing a conspiracy theory that Ben lied publicly about the extent of our financial performance and significant issues like coaching contracts.

Yeah cool. Instead we’ll just pay him while he develops the players of a club we’re competing against.

The Bens have said that of this year, we are no longer paying for past coaches.

My Bro is great mates with Brendan Whitecross.

Trust me, there's more to the story.

Obviously Rhyce has a great relationship with Dew, from the Syd days.

Good luck, to him.

The club made a profit despite the extreme circumstances. Can we leave it at that?

Anyway, back on topic. Wishing Shaw all the best at Gold Coast and future positions.

He is invested wherever he ends up and that's what matters.

The speed of the recovery doesn't actually concern me as much. Sometimes a short term sabbatical can be enough for anyone to rethink things and get back on track. Too long away from things sometimes becomes a detriment in some aspects. Work is stressful but it also takes away the passion in someone when they are away from it.

I was right behind him when he gave that rev up against the Saints and still am even though he is elsewhere.

He deserves success and I hope it happens for him.

To be clear I'm not having a go at Shaw which somehow my words have been twisted.

I am simply questioning the management of his departure especially as we screwed up Scott big time.

To me that's not asking much at all despite all the carry on to "leave it alone".

No, I won't if I we have stuffed it up AGAIN.

If you were in his shoes and you felt you could go back to youth development, what would you do in his shoes?

Shaw can do whatever the * he likes!! I've never criticized him once Tas.

All the point I've made is there is no way we should be paying him for this year based on him leaving us not us firing him.

Of course if it's the latter then sure, but that has not been the messaging from the club at all so legally it makes no sense.

It would have been a terrible look for the club if we didn't offer Rhyce Shaw some kind of payout. After everything Shaw did for us I think giving him 3-6 months salary as an act of goodwill is a pretty decent thing to do.

Are some of us really expecting the club to have have just kicked him to the curb? I'm sure the club isn't too surprised that he is back working so soon either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back