Rhyce Shaw.....Risky career move or a free hit?

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering bolton's 5 week coaching stint at the premiers hawthorn essentially got him the carlton job, hard to say anything other than a free hit. If he can take 3-7 roos to at least 7-8 wins whilst being utterly competitive in all games, thats a win.

Only way this negatively impacts his future head coaching aspirations is if they continue to play un-inspired, largely un-competitive footy with only 1-2 wins for the rest of the year. That's unlikely imo, surely they can win 4 more games of footy at minimum from 12 weeks of footy.

Recent history suggests it's career suicide for an assistant with head coaching ambitions to take on the caretaker role.
Only a few have retained the top job or been offered the top job by another club

Here's a list interim coaches who stepped to replace a coach once the year had already begun

2019 - Rhyce Shaw - replaced Brad Scott at North
2017 - Dean Solomon - replaced Rodney Eade at Gold Coast
2015 - Scott Camporeale - replaced Phil Walsh Adelaide
2015 - Matthew Egan - replaced James Hird at Essendon
2015 - John Barker - replaced Mick Malthouse at Carlton
2013 - Simon Goodwin - replaced James Hird (suspended) for Essendon's last game --> currently coaching Melbourne
2013 - Neil Craig - replaced Mark Neeld at Melbourne
2013 - Mark Harvey - replaced Michael Voss at Brisbane
2012 - Garry Hocking - replaced Matthew Primus at Port
2011 - Todd Viney - replaced Dean Bailey at Melbourne
2011 - Paul Williams - replaced Rodney Eade at the Bulldogs
2011 - Mark Bickley - replaced Neil Craig at Adelaide
2010 - Matthew Primus - replaced Mark Williams at Port --> coached from 2011 to 2012
2009 - Jade Rawlings - replaced Terry Wallace at Richmond
2009 - Darren Crocker - replaced Dean Laidley at North - remained as an assistant and stepped in as caretaker for Brad Scott
2007 - Mark Riley - replaced Neale Daniher at Melbourne
2007 - Mark Harvey - replaced Chris Connolly at Fremantle --> coached from 2008 to 2011
2004 - Donald McDonald - replaced Peter Schwab at Hawthorn
2002 - Peter Rhode - replaced Terry Wallace at the Bulldogs --> coached from 2003 to 2004
2002 - Paul Roos - replaced Rodney Eade at Sydney --> coached from 2003 to 2010 (and Melb 2014-16)
2001 - Ben Allan - replaced Damien Drum at Fremantle
2001 - Grant Thomas - replaced Malcolm Blight at St Kilda --> coached from 2002 to 2006
1998 - Roger Merrett - replaced John Northey at Brisbane
1997 - Jeff Gieschen - replaced Robert Walls at Richmond --> coached from 1998 to 1999
1997 - Greg Hutchison - replaced Neil Balme at Melbourne
1996 - Terry Wallace - replaced Alan Joyce at Footscray --> coached from 1997 to 2002 (and Rich 2005-09)
1996 - Alan McConnell - replaced Michael Nunan at Fitzroy
1995 - Alan McConnell - replaced Bernie Quinlan at Fitzroy --> 12 months later, accepted caretaker role again
1994 - Alan Joyce - replaced Terry Wheeler at Footscray --> coached from 1995 to 1996
1993 - Denis Pagan - replaced Wayne Schimmelbusch prior to Rd 1 at North --> coached from 1993 to 2002 (Carl 2003-07)
1993 - Brett Scott - replaced Gary Buckenara at Sydney
1989 - Paul Feltham - replaced Peter Knights at Brisbane
1989 - Alex Jesaulenko - replaced Robert Walls at Carlton --> coached in 1990
1986 - Leigh Matthews - replaced Bobby Rose at Collingwood --> coached from 1986-95 (and Bris 1999-2008)
1984 - Graham Gellie - replaced Tony Jewell at St Kilda --> coached from 1985 to 1986
1984 - Bob Hammond - replaced Ricky Quade at Sydney
1982 - Mick Erwin - replaced Tom Hafey at Collingwood
1981 - Barry Cable - replaced captain-coach Malcolm Blight at North --> coached from 1982 to 1984
1978 - Don McKenzie - replaced Bill Goggin at Footscray --> coached in 1979
1974 - Graham Campbell - replaced Graham Donaldson at Fitzroy --> coached in WAFL 1975-77, returned to Fitzroy in 1978

I realise it's slightly disingenuous to include some of these as "caretakers". Cable, Matthews, Pagan, Joyce, Wallace and Harvey weren't really caretakers. They were given the job outright. I just included them to be a completist.

+ Brendon Bolton replacing Clarkson for five rounds when he was sick

Remember when this dumb campaigner dropped the ball on the back 50 for Collingwood against the Lions in like the 2003 Grand Final?

One of my earliest footy memories.

No. I only listed the caretaker coaches who replaced departed coaches

There have been a number of other caretaker coaches (like Bolton) who filled in termporarily for a coach who was ill.

Was it a good career move?

Was it a good career move?
I disagree with 4THAWN at the top of this page who said Bolton's 5 week spell as Hawthorn caretaker coach in 2013 is what got him the job at Carlton. He had done a great job at Box Hill and Hawthorn for 7 years and was Clarko's right hand man for 5 years before Carlton hired him. Everyone was after the Hawthorn assistant coaches from that era: Beveridge, Simpson, Cameron, Hardwick... Why wouldn't other clubs be keen on Bolton?

Bolton coached Hawthorn to victory in all 5 of those games, but the Hawks were expected to win those. How would his career aspirations have fared if the Hawks had lost form and gone 2-3 in that period with Clarko on the sidelines?

Bottom line: I don't think anyone should look at being caretaker coach as a stepping stone to a head coaching job. They should simply treat it as invaluable hands-on experience

Rhyce is a dead ringer for young-ish Alexei Sayle. Tell al ya friends :D :p

hIBncnQ.jpg

Last edited:
Great Results = Great career move, North will probably give him the job full time.

Middling Results = Free Hit, shown he can ‘hold his own’.

Terrible Results = Will damage his reputation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're showing your age. And my reply is showing our age. I guess we're not young ones any more.
But I sure hope you weren't being sarcarstic.

Haha I'm actually only in my early 20s, but my mum was a huge fan and had all the episodes on VHS when I was a kid.

I think it's a good move personally. If North can have a good 2nd half to the season, it should put himself in the frame for the senior role permanently. North's been underperforming so far this year so I can see them improving and winning at least another 5-6 games. Who knows, but if North play some good footy overall for the rest of the year which I think they're capable of doing, then Shaw should be in the conversation to take over permanently for mine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back