Rhys Mathieson elbow Gallucci in the back of the head

Tex9798

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
At the end of the first quarter, as the players are walking off and Robinson is giving the umpire a mouthful, Rhys Mathieson comes up behind Gallucci and elbows him in the head.

I'm on my phone so it's difficult to get a screenshot but it's there in the replay on the AFL app, happens with about 43-42 seconds left of the Q1 replay.

Didn't do any damage to Gallucci fortunately but surely has to go.

Edit:

Here is a video with two different angles (it's towards the end of the video)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/afl/gallucci-cops-brutal-hit!731191

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
At the end of the first quarter, as the players are walking off and Robinson is giving the umpire a mouthful, Rhys Mathieson comes up behind Gallucci and elbows him in the head.

I'm on my phone so it's difficult to get a screenshot but it's there in the replay on the AFL app, happens with about 43-42 seconds left of the Q1 replay.

Didn't do any damage to Gallucci fortunately but surely has to go.

you answered your own question....no damage = no suspension.

No injury but he’s also not Ablett, so I expect 1 week with early plea.
LOL, frigging called it.

Don't get me wrong I don't condone the actions but why is this picked up and Gazza's elbows mean nothing? Where's the consistency?

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
LOL, frigging called it.

Don't get me wrong I don't condone the actions but why is this picked up and Gazza's elbows mean nothing? Where's the consistency?

Is it really that hard to get?
Matho from behind with the sole intention to make it hurt, lucky no real damage done but intention is everything, it’s not a clumsy soft block.
He actually threw an elbow from behind lol wake up.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Any video? Was it anything like Conca on Devon Smith a few years ago?
Very similar action but Conca at least had just been dumped by the player he belted and it was during playing time. Mathieson wasn't involved in the play and the siren had long sounded so was certainly worse.

Matho from behind with the sole intention to make it hurt, lucky no real damage done but intention is everything, it’s not a clumsy soft block.

Hmm seem to remember someone from Geelong doing that to Sicily Easter Monday but he escaped suspension

Lol, 'clumsy soft block' - he did it two weeks in a row, both times after the ball has left the area and you can better block someone than throw an elbow to their head. How many games has Gaz played to know what's an acceptable block and what isn't?

Like I say I don't condone what Matho did but no, there's no difference. In both situations you are intentionally throwing an arm to a zone of the body you know full well is a no go zone. What is different is the status of the player here. You've got Dusty getting downgraded for clearly dropping a player behind play, Ablett gets off first week and then not even cited the second for literally exactly the same behaviour, and then a relatively 'insignificant' player (by comparison to the acolades collected by Dusty and Ablett) being picked up for an incident from which the opposition player did not have any injury and barely broke stride as they walked.

Again, where is the consistency from the MRP.

Sep 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
so why only 1 week compared to the 2 weeks conca got a few years ago?

not defending conca, but the MRP has become weak as piss. i thought they were supposed to be trying to eliminate strikes and cheap shots. bring back the points system, that was much more consistent.

I think with the Conca one he ran some distance and delivered/ tried to deliver a fairly savage blow.

With Matho, there can be some argument made that Gallucci drops down slightly as Matho makes the decision to give him a clip. It may have hit him in the back/shoulder had this not happened. However that is what contributed to the Gaff on Brayshaw incident last year and we all know how that ended up. Matho deserves his week even if he thought he was going to clip him in the back. It was a fairly aggressive strike.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
I think with the Conca one he ran some distance and delivered/ tried to deliver a fairly savage blow.

With Matho, there can be some argument made that Gallucci drops down slightly as Matho makes the decision to give him a clip. It may have hit him in the back/shoulder had this not happened. However that is what contributed to the Gaff on Brayshaw incident last year and we all know how that ended up. Matho deserves his week even if he thought he was going to clip him in the back. It was a fairly aggressive strike.
Unfortunately for him his name isn't Tom Mitchell and he isn't a brownlow fancy.

Back