RHYS STANLEY- KF, KB, Ruck or ???

Remove this Banner Ad

I didnt see that effort but i did hear about it and agree....

If you go back - take it in stride and develop like GHS has - chin up and teach, learn and lead.

Sulking is for kinder kids.

Go Catters
There was a game before you arrived back against Casey that was damning, think Nakia saw it too.
Gawn and Spencer injured, playing against some 18yo beanpole.... Who beat him.

Went and saw us at Box Hill late in the season. Smith copped a knock the night before, Blicavs broke his foot/leg... and he plays with no intensity against Pittonet. Scott pushed him up against a wall walking towards the change rooms and gave him a spray.

If you need your AFL coach to spark you up in a ressies game when a spot is legitimately open then you're done.
I gave up on him that day. I'd play Abbott before him. He actually has a crack.

And that's where I think we'll suffer next year - Smith is far greater than Stanley, but they are not elite.

They will not win us games when needed, as Ottens did.
I think Smith is close to getting to the required level. He came on in 2017.

We have young Gardner developing in the twos who is much the same size as Domsy. And I would have liked to have seen him get a game at K'Park during the year. We also have Timm House in the VFL who plays both back and forward and is key position size.

There are also med talls in Thurlow, Henry and Zach Guthrie.

I really like what l've seen of Jack Henry, seems like a prospect to me.
Genuine med/tall marking target with a leap.
Speed and agility not sure about but l like what l've seen so far.

Would like to see House at CHF if team selection allows, early as possible. Can't see him contributing any less than Buzza.
If he bulks a bit, crashes packs and goes hard for marks there's a vacancy there l think.
He's at an age and time when he really needs to go hard for that senior position.
He's a nice size with agility "l hope."

Last edited:
He has played very good games in the ruck. That is his go. But Smith stands in his way.
This

Has all the tools, but not mentally I'd say.
Could play number 1 ruck and likely develop into a good handy player there but Smith shot past him as the year went on and comfortably owns the position now.

Anywhere else he plays like an inbetweener and gets in no mans land.

Carlton fans would’ve said the same thing about Liam Jones

You can’t use an exception as the standard. That’s a logical fallacy. Not many complete spuds have transitioned from one position and become a solid player in another position. Not saying it can’t be done, but Rhys is a genuine spud.

You can’t use an exception as the standard. That’s a logical fallacy. Not many complete spuds have transitioned from one position and become a solid player in another position. Not saying it can’t be done, but Rhys is a genuine spud.
I’d still take Rhys ahead of what Jones had shown prior to 2017. Worth a shot if he’s listed and we’re paying his wage.

There was a game before you arrived back against Casey that was damning, think Nakia saw it too.

Went and saw us at Box Hill late in the season. Smith copped a knock the night before, Blicavs broke his foot/leg... and he plays with no intensity against Pittonet. Scott pushed him up against a wall walking towards the change rooms and gave him a spray.

If you need your AFL coach to spark you up in a ressies game when a spot is legitimately open then you're done.
I makes me feel all warm and fuzzy that Coach would do this. I was afraid he was treating these millennials too gently.

Is that true of Scott he literally put him up against the wall and have him a serve? That is excellent if so Stanley could certainly use a spray, his only position he's shown ability in is ruck and Smith is ahead of him. But if he can create competition for that spot and backup that can only help the team. That game he played against port a couple of years ago was his best.

There was a time when I genuinely believed he could play key forward but he is not aggressive enough for his size. Now just as back up ruck if Smith is out.

Why not try him in defence if Liam Jones who was much worse a player than Rhys Stanley has done well with it? Worth a shot considering Domsy is gone and we tend to play others out of position all of the time.
ST Kilda tried it before shipping him off to us.
As a back man Rhys makes Zac Dawson look like Scarlett

There was a time when I genuinely believed he could play key forward but he is not aggressive enough for his size. Now just as back up ruck if Smith is out.
I'd prefer to play Buzza, Black, Crameri or even House up forward before I'd station Stanley there...that's how little I think of Stanley as a forward option.

Taylor, who often looked lost early on, was, in the main, the preferred key forward partner to Hawkins in 2017. And Taylor, who has shown way, way more than Stanley, gave us an insight of how hard it is to play in unfamiliar positions

I'd rather Taylor and Henderson alternate between the key back roles with Kolodjashnij as the third tall. Gardner should also be given a run before we attempt some sort of Hail Mary to reinvent Stanley.

Like a few others, I think Stanley's go is predominantly in the ruck. If he wants it, he needs to go out there and get it. It isn't like Smith and Blicavs are Geelong's version of Cox and Naitanui. Stanley could easily assume the #1 ruck role if he actually wanted it badly enough.

The debate isn't what position is best for Stanley, the question should be what is holding him back; is it mental? Is it ability? Does the coaching staff not use him properly? Maybe he just wasn't developed well enough when he first entered the AFL.

While this is a s**t saying to use at the end of 2017 I think it sums up my feelings about Rhys Stanley, "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The debate isn't what position is best for Stanley, the question should be what is holding him back; is it mental? Is it ability? Does the coaching staff not use him properly? Maybe he just wasn't developed well enough when he first entered the AFL.

Perhaps. Maybe he just isn’t that good. And that yet again, being an incredible athlete (which he obviously is) doesn’t automatically translate to being a gun footballer.

I'd prefer to play Buzza, Black, Crameri or even House up forward before I'd station Stanley there...that's how little I think of Stanley as a forward option.

Taylor, who often looked lost early on, was, in the main, the preferred key forward partner to Hawkins in 2017. And Taylor, who has shown way, way more than Stanley, gave us an insight of how hard it is to play in unfamiliar positions

I'd rather Taylor and Henderson alternate between the key back roles with Kolodjashnij as the third tall. Gardner should also be given a run before we attempt some sort of Hail Mary to reinvent Stanley.

Like a few others, I think Stanley's go is predominantly in the ruck. If he wants it, he needs to go out there and get it. It isn't like Smith and Blicavs are Geelong's version of Cox and Naitanui. Stanley could easily assume the #1 ruck role if he actually wanted it badly enough.

While this is a s**t saying to use at the end of 2017 I think it sums up my feelings about Rhys Stanley, "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane".

Purely mental. 27 year old who throws a tantrum when he is dropped. Stops trying when playing vfl letting down all his team mates. Gets back in the team and shows up some of the softest efforts you will see from a bigman.

Doesnt matter how good he will play next year you just know this guy will turn to absolute custard when it comes to finals time. His attitude absolutely stinks and for that reason i wouldnt want him near our afl team. I was shocked when he got games late last year after the deplorable limp wristed performances he produced in the Vfl.

What about former All Australian backman Cale Hooker? He starred as a forward with 40 goals. It's a weird one with Harry Taylor because in the past he had shown he was reliable in front of goals yet I felt like at times he was an awful aim, I think the fact that the out of bounds kicks aren't counted to his 22.15 this year really make him look better.

Stanley has had sweet f--k all to beat for a ruck or forward spot since he has been at the Cats,I simply can't see him doing it now without multiple injuries,how piss poor are you when you can't unseat bloody blicavs for the no2 ruck spot or Kersten while he was there as a forward, FFS he can't even get a gig forward with Kersten gone, say's it all really.
Be wear the better short lived improvement in the contract season that will happen before he would revert to his same old ways after signing,In short piss him off.

Stanley has had sweet f--k all to beat for a ruck or forward spot since he has been at the Cats,I simply can't see him doing it now without multiple injuries,how piss poor are you when you can't unseat bloody blicavs for the no2 ruck spot or Kersten while he was there as a forward, FFS he can't even get a gig forward with Kersten gone, say's it all really.
Be wear the better short lived improvement in the contract season that will happen before he would revert to his same old ways after signing,In short piss him off.
He'll have one or two good games that will make some posters on here cream their pants and will hang their hat on it like that performance against port in 2015. He will also kick a few goals in one or two games by dragging the opposing ruck into our forward. Again, people will get excited thinking he is a forward again.

He'll have one or two good games that will make some posters on here cream their pants and will hang their hat on it like that performance against port in 2015. He will also kick a few goals in one or two games by dragging the opposing ruck into our forward. Again, people will get excited thinking he is a forward again.
Sure.
So what we need while we have him on our list, is consistency, intensity and effort.
Tigers and Crows did some MENTAL TRAINING preseason and during 17; both played in the GF.
Stanley, Murdoch, Thurlow , & Guthrie strike me as players, who amongst our list, would hugely benefit from such training.

Sure.
So what we need while we have him on our list, is consistency, intensity and effort.
Tigers and Crows did some MENTAL TRAINING preseason and during 17; both played in the GF.
Stanley, Murdoch, Thurlow , & Guthrie strike me as players, who amongst our list, would hugely benefit from such training.
I remember Billy Brownless going to QLD during a rough patch and seeing a Swami and returning to play like Ablett Snr,it was short lived though.
images

I remember Billy Brownless going to QLD during a rough patch and seeing a Swami and returning to play like Ablett Snr,it was short lived though.
images
Don't know what year you (jokingly) refer to, but
1991, 81 goals, 54 behinds, ave 4.1 goals , ave 14.8 disposals , ave 8 marks a game
1992, 79 goals, 46 behinds, ave 3.3 goals , ave 13.0 disposals , ave 6 marks a game
He was AA KF in 91, and leading GK at Geelong 91 & 92.
Billy was an excellent KF considering he had to share some of the limelight with Senior , Stoneham, and Lindner.

Last edited:
Don't know what year you (jokingly) refer to, but
1991, 81 goals, 54 behinds, ave 4.1 goals a game, and average 14.8 disposals a game
1992, 79 goals, 46 behinds, ave 3.3 goals a game, and average 13.0 disposals a game.
He was AA KF in 91, and leading GK at Geelong 91 & 92.
Billy was an excellent KF considering he had to share some of the limelight with Senior , Stoneham, and Lindner.
Kicked 9? I think the week he came back from seeing the Swami

Last edited:
OK this is from left field...
I don't like to bag players as they are just guys playing a ball game. But sometimes I wonder if there are players who have decided, for whatever reasons, to cruise through an afl career for as many seasons as they can get. They can score a higher salary than most people during that time getting by on 'potential' or 'athletic ability'. Maybe there sights are higher than just being a professional athlete for a few years and are taking advantage when it presents itself. To be honest, I'm not saying its bad to not go all in, as JSelwood for example has, but it doesn't make for go entertainment for the mob.
If a serious chewing out by the head coach can't make something click inside your head, then I kind of see RS in this mode, maybe Kersten as well. It may not be a conscious decision, but knowing you can pull down decent cash just by being there... Someone will give you another contract just because you have so much potential, you can be turned around, you're a slow developer etc.Or they just might not have it in them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back