RHYS STANLEY- KF, KB, Ruck or ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Who ever started this Kersten s**t again should get a day off.
uhh he was merely mentioned as an example.

but as a person, and formerly as an athlete, I consider myself as a team first type of guy I give myself a spray

giphy.gif

OK this is from left field...
I don't like to bag players as they are just guys playing a ball game. But sometimes I wonder if there are players who have decided, for whatever reasons, to cruise through an afl career for as many seasons as they can get. They can score a higher salary than most people during that time getting by on 'potential' or 'athletic ability'. Maybe there sights are higher than just being a professional athlete for a few years and are taking advantage when it presents itself. To be honest, I'm not saying its bad to not go all in, as JSelwood for example has, but it doesn't make for go entertainment for the mob.
If a serious chewing out by the head coach can't make something click inside your head, then I kind of see RS in this mode, maybe Kersten as well. It may not be a conscious decision, but knowing you can pull down decent cash just by being there... Someone will give you another contract just because you have so much potential, you can be turned around, you're a slow developer etc.Or they just might not have it in them.
doesn't Stanley have a gig as a model or somesuch ?

And if he plays hard could be a real weapon. Seen glimpses of glory and then lowlights of misery. More misery sadly.
But hey, maybe this is the year. More power to him if he gets it done.
Talent is undeniably there

Go Catters

Unfortunately you could count those glimpses on the fingers of one hand.

That game where he injured his foot (2015?) he looked a potential superstar, never come close to emulating that again except in short bursts, sadly I think his best position may be somewhere other then AFL.

Unfortunately you could count those glimpses on the fingers of one hand.

That game where he injured his foot (2015?) he looked a potential superstar, never come close to emulating that again except in short bursts, sadly I think his best position may be somewhere other then AFL.
Against Port? He was bursting out of the centre like Danger if he could play a consistent game with a half dozen of those games a year we'd be laughing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like the answer is... forward.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...tory/6a986129bf5c7116679e95888d4d4afa?login=1

Gist of article: training house down, turning heads, with the forwards group.
No suprises he's turning heads..
Has all the ingredients to be a star, and at training where it is more controlled he's more likely to look amazing

Would be amazing if he could put together a run of good games for us.. not holding out much hope but stranger things have happened

I'm hoping that Stanley has had injuries that have curtailed his output. That foot injury looked quite nasty. If he is fit for the first time in a long period, perhaps he will be able the be the assistance Tom hawkins needs. I really hope so.

He has the tools and all the ability in the world.

And he shows us them on occasion.

And then he puts them away like your mums good china and they aren't seen again for months.

Hopefully he just says * it and uses them all year long.

GO Catters

Don't know what year you (jokingly) refer to, but
1991, 81 goals, 54 behinds, ave 4.1 goals , ave 14.8 disposals , ave 8 marks a game
1992, 79 goals, 46 behinds, ave 3.3 goals , ave 13.0 disposals , ave 6 marks a game
He was AA KF in 91, and leading GK at Geelong 91 & 92.
Billy was an excellent KF considering he had to share some of the limelight with Senior , Stoneham, and Lindner.

damn could he take a mark!

(Edit: where did that damn come from? I could swear I wrote damn)

Last edited:
ahh no problems, I like a good slap now and then :D
completely missed the SK reference from up thread, not unlike the man himself

OoooKaaaayy!!!!
But are you a fishnet stockings and whips and chains type too?

Last edited:
Show me one moment where he stood up and proved it.

This is AFL; the guy should be a handy landscape gardener.

I can think of two.

The Adelaide game in 2015, and the Dogs game at Geelong in 2016.

The guy can play, but he is also horribly, horrifically inconsistent and the gap between his best and worst almost can't be measured.

I have always thought RS should not be rs, and has the guns to be a weapon for us.
Most have lost patience with him.
Wonder if he can reinvent himself in 18 as a KB replacing Domsy.
He is tall, quick, skilled, and a decent mark.
I can visualise that happening.
God damn I hope so (reinvent himself) - prefer not as a back, but a CHF. Lets face it - he has never been a CHF either. If I was able to transfer my brain into any AFL body in the league, I reckon Stanley's would be the one I would go for. Seems to have all the parts to play just about any position, huge tank, chicks think he is dreamy, and seems to have coordination when he puts his mind to it. He just can't seem to take proper advantage of having that rig :(

Last edited:
Quite right.....but I can understand why people are now writing him off...he haas been a disappointment, particularly so given his athleticism.

Just hasn't found his niche at AFL level. Maybe try him up back in pre season and see how he goes. Nothing much to lose.
In a team crying out for a CHF, if Stanley couldn't stick his hand up for a spot there then I would rather give Blicavs the first option of changing his role to a backman first, TBH. As far as Stanley goes, I only want to see him as CHF/second ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back