Toast Rhys Stanley

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Was simply unbelievable for the first three quarters before having to leave the ground with a foot issue.
I have been a big critic of his. Not in his ability, but the position in which the club appeared to be molding him into and tonight, he gave us a sample of what may possibly be coming in time.

17 disposals (9 contested), 6 clearances, 24 hit-outs, 3 marks (1 contested), 3 inside fifties & 2 goals is an outstanding effort against a quality opponent.

If this is what's in store from Stanley in the coming year/s, I'll happily accept the egg(s) on the face multiple times over as we can now see what a difference it makes to the teams structure having a good ruck around the ground.

Kudos to Ballroom Blitz as he, like Stanley, took another step in the right direction tonight.

Was simply unbelievable for the first three quarters before having to leave the ground with a foot issue.
I have been a big critic of his. Not in his ability, but the position in which the club appeared to be molding him into and tonight, he gave us a sample of what may possibly be coming in time.

17 disposals (9 contested), 6 clearances, 24 hit-outs, 3 marks (1 contested), 3 inside fifties & 2 goals is an outstanding effort against a quality opponent.

If this is what's in store from Stanley in the coming year/s, I'll happily accept the egg(s) on the face multiple times over as we can now see what a difference it makes to the teams structure having a good ruck around the ground.

Kudos to Ballroom Blitz as he, like Stanley, took another step in the right direction tonight.

And kudos to you for having the courage to put your hand up, acknowledge you may have under-estimated him, and give credit where it's due.

Well played Sir.

Bundy who?
but....but....but we got screwed on that deal

f11df0a49788cfbab44f22d03d236ef8.gif

Bloody good pick up.Him & Blitz are working well together.

I was wrong too. It's a measure of his improvement that I think our season is in big trouble (finals wise) if his foot injury is serious. I knew he had some ability, it's just because he barely played ruck at St Kilda I honestly couldnt see how his leap and running ability would actually translate into good ruckwork, but he reads so well where the opposition ruck will hit it and moves quickly to get the clearance, and his tapwork is better than I thought it was. Kudos to Peake for viewing him as a ruckman when most including me didnt think he was, it was a good suggestion and a good trade. Now let's just hope he isnt as injury prone as Hmac.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, I wasn't impressed with giving up pick 21 for Stanley and he was struggling to win me over.

But he did it tonight. Played a great game and hopefully that is the kind of thing we'll see more often than not.

Very good game before he was injured.

Glad to see a few posters admit they were wrong, as others (including me) were against Blicavs.

Rhys has one of the most unique skill sets in the league and it's important to remember he is coming off an interrupted pre-season.

Make no mistake, by the time his career at Geelong is done, he'll be regarded as one of the club's best modern day recruits. I've never been more sure of anything.

And kudos to you for having the courage to put your hand up, acknowledge you may have under-estimated him, and give credit where it's due.

Well played Sir.
Well said Bobby_. Kudos for putting your hand up.

again, this isn't about me or what I've have said, it's about Stanley and what he can bring to the team as a genuine ruck of the competition. At the end of the day, we all want what's best to see this team challenge again and I was skeptical he did not have that size or strength to make it, but that's the second game this year he's shown he has it. Perhaps some supporters (myself included) may need to lower their immediate expectations and simply accept he will take time. If he can produce another solid game in 4 weeks, then back it up a few weeks after that one, slowly but surely as he approaches 100 games, 150 games, we find ourselves looking back on the Allen Christensen trade grinning from ear to ear.

Glad to see a few posters admit they were wrong, as others (including me) were against Blicavs.

Rhys has one of the most unique skill sets in the league and it's important to remember he is coming off an interrupted pre-season.

Make no mistake, by the time his career at Geelong is done, he'll be regarded as one of the club's best modern day recruits. I've never been more sure of anything.

If he stays fit. Just hope he doesnt go the way of Hmac, Vardy et al. If he stays fit looks like he will be a really good player though.

I'm not surprised Stanley is playing well at Geelong
I wished we had drafted him and so kept an eye on him
He lacked opportunity at St Kilda as 3rd forward behind Nick and Kosi
Stanley at Geelong is allowed to use his best asset: Speed!
You can see that he enjoys playing the cats game style.
His recruitment along with Blease and Cockatoo shows where our future strategy is heading
We already have Motlop and Murdoch with lightning speed.
Blitz Kersten Clarke and Walker are very mobile for their size
If Rumour proves to be true and we land Dangerfield next year
We will have some serious leg speed

Still puzzled why the Saints let this guy go given the obvious upside and still very much a work in progress at only 24 years of age... quite bizarre.

He was ripping the game apart tonight until he hurt his foot (fingers crossed there).

With maturity these "good" games will become more common place you would think ... so let the good times roll.

is there any point playing hmac and simpson if stanley stays fit?

I think if Simpson was for against say 211 the size of Simpson at the centre bounces would help.

But like you, I was sitting there tonight watching him work - and it was amazing - thinking that Daws has thrown the remote at the TV and left.

Stanley just killed it out there and Daws would be left wanting. Daws is a solid trier, but Stanley has him covered. And he kicked 2 goals. Daws has 2 in 2 years.

Go Catters

I'm not surprised Stanley is playing well at Geelong
I wished we had drafted him and so kept an eye on him
He lacked opportunity at St Kilda as 3rd forward behind Nick and Kosi
Stanley at Geelong is allowed to use his best asset: Speed!
You can see that he enjoys playing the cats game style.
His recruitment along with Blease and Cockatoo shows where our future strategy is heading
We already have Motlop and Murdoch with lightning speed.
Blitz Kersten Clarke and Walker are very mobile for their size
If Rumour proves to be true and we land Dangerfield next year
We will have some serious leg speed
We should do very well in the Stawell Gift Relay on GF day, then, shouldn't we? :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back