Toast Rhys Stanley

Remove this Banner Ad

FFS Bill!

I just ******* knew with no news at all it was gonna be ugly…..

That Lisfranc can be a real problem. Not saying that Stanley's is bad but it aint good.

We wont be able to trade rucks in soon as they all will know that any GFC ruck is gonna get hurt - and hurt by freaking bad injuries…

Bet that stops the 3rd man up complaints now too….

Go Catters

Funny , I remember several "experts" in trade tim last year saying we were 1 or 2 ruck type heavy.

We may have to elevate a green Rookie if he is out for that long.

We do have too many second-string ruck types. The problem is that most of them spend the vast majority of their year in the injury room. They need to be thinned out and we need to bring in guys who can actually give some service. We don't need to keep throwing players at a problem area because the players we have keep getting injured; we need to solve the problem by getting rid of the perpetually injured players and abolishing this attitude that has permeated into the club that we can get "bargains" by recruiting players who have a storied history of injuries. Our medical staff isn't superior to every other club's. It, in fact, might be drastically inferior. They can't fix issues that other clubs couldn't.

AFAIK this is a new injury for Stanley - not an injury that has been announced before.

And its a whopper too.

Im not sure this one can be checked down to a medical room deficiency. Much like Mitch Duncan's foot - its a simple case of REALLY ******* bad luck.

GO Catters

Well its obvious McIntosh will go…and unless he shows a lot more, Simpson must be on the edge…so do we go for Zac Smith…or a Freo ruck who isn't getting a run…???

Has Simpson got enough time left to convince them?

And even if he does, is his one dimensional play going to be accepted anymore?

I guess we'll find out won't we, with the others injured the floor is all his now. He possibly has 3 months to save his career by showing that he does have some worth still.

I guess we'll find out won't we, with the others injured the floor is all his now. He possibly has 3 months to save his career by showing that he does have some worth still.

That we will.

It's an interesting conundrum......I feel they believe he is a dinosaur, too slow, outdated, and would quickly replace him BUT there's a dearth of rucking ability within the club and they might order a stay of execution simply because something is better than nothing.

Disclaimer: there are no facts to substantiate my thoughts.......just an impression, from no real reason.

Gawn is doing it.
Simpson did it 2 yrs ago.
Please, an encore.

Starts with F and ends in K!
images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one dimensional play seemed to work ok for Gawn on the weekend. And it goes ok for Goldstein and Sandilands too.

I think it's far more the quality of ruckman more than the type of ruckman. A ruckman of Simpson's type can be an effective player. And he has been. The big question is after all his injuries whether he can recapture that form.

The one dimensional play seemed to work ok for Gawn on the weekend. And it goes ok for Goldstein and Sandilands too.

I think it's far more the quality of ruckman more than the type of ruckman. A ruckman of Simpson's type can be an effective player. And he has been. The big question is after all his injuries whether he can recapture that form.
Gawn looked very impressive all the same, taking big marks around the ground and capable goal kicker. DS needs to impose himself at marking contest and up fwd. He has done it before, but not in the last 12m.

Yep, agree with your points above, but would humbly suggest all the guys you mentioned have some semblance of superior mobility to Daws, and can certainly outmark him.

I don't think its an issue of ability with Simpson, rather than an issue with his fitness. Can he even play a half of football before his tank is empty. I guess we're about to find out.

I don't think its an issue of ability with Simpson, rather than an issue with his fitness. Can he even play a half of football before his tank is empty. I guess we're about to find out.

I haven't seen Simpson take a contested mark for some time…perhaps I have missed them…he certainly doesn't do it on a regular basis lets say…

Comparing him to Sandilands, Goldstein and even Gawn (on last weeks performance) fails to recognize that these players can impose themselves on the game, and around the ground.

Simpson just doesn't do that. Be that as it may, we really don't have much choice.

Simpson was out the door a few weeks ago, I think he will get a chance against Jacobs this week who is a slower sort of ruck but beyond that if he doesn't impress he wont play against the more mobile ruck opponents and will be out the door at years end. Stanley's injury has given him a few weeks to try and save his career which is an opportunity he wouldnt have got otherwise.

That is his big problem. Will be interesting to see if we play him, accepting that we will have to sub him in the 3/4 of each match. Big risk if we cop an injury, but we dont have much other choice.

Ah so what's the exact situation? Can't find anything on the club website and it seems from this thread that it could be 1 month or it could be the whole season...

I haven't seen Simpson take a contested mark for some time…perhaps I have missed them…he certainly doesn't do it on a regular basis lets say…

Comparing him to Sandilands, Goldstein and even Gawn (on last weeks performance) fails to recognize that these players can impose themselves on the game, and around the ground.

Simpson just doesn't do that. Be that as it may, we really don't have much choice.

At this stage that's all secondary, last year he took one roughly ever second week. But when we select him its not for his work around the ground.

The ruckman's primary role is his work around the stoppages. in 2013 and 2014 our work around the ground was good enough that we could afford to be severely deficient in the middle and still win. Now it isn't and must do anything we can to turn our inside game around. We can't afford to have Walker in the ruck.

Simpson was out the door a few weeks ago, I think he will get a chance against Jacobs this week who is a slower sort of ruck but beyond that if he doesn't impress he wont play against the more mobile ruck opponents and will be out the door at years end. Stanley's injury has given him a few weeks to try and save his career which is an opportunity he wouldnt have got otherwise.

Although I don't wish him ill will, I just don't see him doing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back