Toast Premiership ruckman Rhys Stanley.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bandwagon

Club Legend
Jul 1, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
His performance now needs to be recognised. His last 6 weeks have been absolutely outstanding. What I've noticed is he's starting to use his frame to his advantage and impacting the play off the ball with solid bumping and physicality which wasn't always the case with Rhys. He's starting to grow in confidence and I think he's about to realise his potential. He was a big reason we got over the line against the dees and I hope supporters of this club start giving him a break and understand that he hasn't had a great deal of time playing as a ruckman and is still learning the craft. Along with his pace we now have a valuable asset and weapon.

Well done Rhys you're starting to prove the doubters wrong.

His performance now needs to be recognised. His last 6 weeks have been absolutely outstanding. What I've noticed is he's starting to use his frame to his advantage and impacting the play off the ball with solid bumping and physicality which wasn't always the case with Rhys. He's starting to grow in confidence and I think he's about to realise his potential. He was a big reason we got over the line against the dees and I hope supporters of this club start giving him a break and understand that he hasn't had a great deal of time playing as a ruckman and is still learning the craft. Along with his pace we now have a valuable asset and weapon.

Well done Rhys you're starting to prove the doubters wrong.

In all fairness the doubters were given plenty of reason to doubt. But yes his last six weeks have been good and his game last night was one of his best considering the quality of ruckman he was up against.

• Banned
In all fairness the doubters were given plenty of reason to doubt. But yes his last six weeks have been good and his game last night was one of his best considering the quality of ruckman he was up against.
He just needed an extended run in the side as a ruckman. I wish I could remember what quarter he laid that sheppard on the wing that lead to a goal.

He was awful early in the year but people were saying s**t like he should be delisted and never play again. Kudos to Rhys and the match committee for being right in persisting.

I gave him second best behind Tom, he was outstanding and has been for 6 weeks.
Is genuinely doing everything right at the moment, his ruckwork is very good, he's hard over the ball on the ground and uses his body in a contest well, he's using the ball well and under pressure is 1, getting rid of the ball and not getting done for HTB and 2, is usually hitting up targets, he's defending the opposition ruck well while providing a good target down the line himself and he's creating and using space on transition.
Perhaps it's the old saying of the big blokes take longer, perhaps it's continuity of games, I dunno, but he's playing bloody good footy at the moment and I freaking love it.

I know it's not cool on here to give Chris Scott a wrap but he has been an unabashed supporter of this fella ever since they drafted him. He must be super proud of him now he has turned his form right around.

I know it's not cool on here to give Chris Scott a wrap but he has been an unabashed supporter of this fella ever since they drafted him. He must be super proud of him now he has turned his form right around.
His last 6 weeks remind me of Hawkins in 2011 in some ways. Hopefully he can really elevate for the next two months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anyone see Ottens on the ground after the match? Have we finally put not resources in to the ruck department?
He was at every huddle with the mids. Not sure if that’s normal.

There has been plenty of flip flop on Stanley, probably by us all... worth p21 not worth p21.. need to get a real ruck .. we dont need a ruck... what a waste of pick , waste of a place on our list , what a huge waste of his obvious talent.. just where can he play...

We really are going to have to wait to see if he can sustain this form... because what he is doing at the moment is raising the stakes.. He is showing what he is capable of.. if he can produce it... WHEN IT COUNTS... he may yet prove to be clever recruitment...... but it was only 6 weeks ago that some would be willing to use him sharkbait.

Still a lot of questions , mainly If he can keep it going does that mean we do not recruit a ruckman.

Perhaps others. If he can he keep it up what is his potential... Can he actually get better... can he continue to be physical ... IF much of his current form is related to the public question by Scott then what does that say about him... If his form is related to do with his contract being due , how will he play with a new 2 year offer (which will come if he keeps playing like he is)

Stanley is the quintessential IF player. but credit should be accorded to him... he was backed into a corner.. I thought he was a closed book but he has opened it again. The issue now is our second ruck not our #1.. and that a credit to him

There has been plenty of flip flop on Stanley, probably by us all... worth p21 not worth p21.. need to get a real ruck .. we dont need a ruck... what a waste of pick , waste of a place on our list , what a huge waste of his obvious talent.. just where can he play...

We really are going to have to wait to see if he can sustain this form... because what he is doing at the moment is raising the stakes.. He is showing what he is capable of.. if he can produce it... WHEN IT COUNTS... he may yet prove to be clever recruitment...... but it was only 6 weeks ago that some would be willing to use him sharkbait.

Still a lot of questions , mainly If he can keep it going does that mean we do not recruit a ruckman.

Perhaps others. If he can he keep it up what is his potential... Can he actually get better... can he continue to be physical ... IF much of his current form is related to the public question by Scott then what does that say about him... If his form is related to do with his contract being due , how will he play with a new 2 year offer (which will come if he keeps playing like he is)

Stanley is the quintessential IF player. but credit should be accorded to him... he was backed into a corner.. I thought he was a closed book but he has opened it again. The issue now is our second ruck not our #1.. and that a credit to him
I have this nagging feeling he will get injured, lose form and we are back to square one. So until that happens make hay while the sun shines

I have this nagging feeling he will get injured, lose form and we are back to square one. So until that happens make hay while the sun shines

So ...
We may have found a Needle in the haystack ..and we should make Hay while the sun shines ... or we may find we are closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.. Just wish he could straighten his kicking up a bit... couldn't hit the side of barn atm.. . Is he the long term answer?.. I don't think we should count our chickens before they hatch and I just hope we haven't got all our eggs in the one basket.

I dont think that there has been a question of when he is playing at his best, he is a very good player. The problem has been consistency and injury has played a large part in that. IMO he deserved all the knocks that came his way.

Let's hope this rich vein of form continues.

So ...
We may have found a Needle in the haystack ..and we should make Hay while the sun shines ... or we may find we are closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.. Just wish he could straighten his kicking up a bit... couldn't hit the side of barn atm.. . Is he the long term answer?.. I don't think we should count our chickens before they hatch and I just hope we haven't got all our eggs in the one basket.

in his current form, and sav forward a lot of problems are solved
what we need right now is caddy - caddy - caddy

all those parfitt supporters need to take stock

in his current form, and sav forward a lot of problems are solved
what we need right now is caddy - caddy - caddy

all those parfitt supporters need to take stock
Caddy is an average footballer who has been made to look good in a system that applies plenty of pressure. Parfitt will become a better player.

Loved this effort in particular. More of the same please Rhys.

f1abc312-0716-4afe-b976-26ed9ba5f2ba

Last edited:
I dont think that there has been a question of when he is playing at his best, he is a very good player. The problem has been consistency and injury has played a large part in that. IMO he deserved all the knocks that came his way.

Let's hope this rich vein of form continues.

JimBoy.. as anyone really saying any of the comments have been unwarranted? The frustration has always been the gap between his talent and his performance. On talent.. he would be R1 every year.

I find it interesting that he has played so well since being publicly questioned... maybe , just maybe, this is not a horse you can go too gentle on the whip with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back