What the heck? Rich Giants fan buys up $300,000 worth of GF seats

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr Miyagi

Debutant
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
WTF? The Giants couldn't fill their allocation of 17,000, they had to give 2,000 tickets back to the AFL. So what's this about an anonymous rich Giants fan buying up $300,000 worth of tickets to give away to Giants fans and fill up the stands with orange?! Who is it?

Mr Miyagi

Debutant
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
im calling bulls**t on this

It was reported on 7 News tonight, definitely legit. There are going to be a lot of angry Tigers fans!

It's bizarre because GWS had 17,000 allocated for members, but could only sell about 15,000 and had to give the rest up. The mystery benefactor who splurged $300k of his/her own money did so because they were concerned GWS fans would be vastly outnumbered by Richmond supporters and wants more orange in the crowd. No idea how this altruistic millionaire intends to distribute the tickets to GWS fans -- will they get hobos off the streets and give them a ticket with a free GWS beanie and scarf?

It was reported on 7 News tonight, definitely legit. There are going to be a lot of angry Tigers fans!

It's bizarre because GWS had 17,000 allocated for members, but could only sell about 15,000 and had to give the rest up. The mystery benefactor who splurged $300k of his/her own money did so because they were concerned GWS fans would be vastly outnumbered by Richmond supporters and wants more orange in the crowd. No idea how this altruistic millionaire intends to distribute the tickets to GWS fans -- will they get hobos off the streets and give them a ticket with a free GWS beanie and scarf?

just because seven report a rumour doesn't mean its fact. networks substituted speed for accuracy years ago

again, how did he buy 700+ tickets when you need a barcode per ticket, you can only buy in batches of 8, AND you have to pick them up in person?

again, I call bullshit

Mr Miyagi

Debutant
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is this mass ticket buy-up part of the GWS 15,00 bought by their members?

No idea, you'd have to ask Gil. Stuart Fox might know. I have as much info as 7, who were reporting on information provided to them directly from someone in the know.

Maybe it was Paul Connors, as part of the ongoing PR campaign to polish Toby's image. Every ticket gets a signed note from Toby thanking them for coming. :p

7 news means that the scoop likely came from Tom Browne, so the legitimacy is definitely in question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I fail to see an issue here someone trying to encourage a club that can only get 15k supporters to a GF. I mean how dare they try and offset the home ground advantage albeit a small amount.

If the concern is about average fans getting to watch the GF you should be taking the seats from the once a year corporates having a day out.

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur
It’s apparently the same guy that commissioned all the skywriting and the mural in parramatta, not sure who they are

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Lachlan McGill - well known benefactor of all things good and champion polo player of the greater western Sydney district.

Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
I know this is probably nonsense, but I am intrigued by these monied up GIANTS supporters. Like the American ones who apparently sponsored the showgrounds name change to Giants Stadium.

Good on them, but it's all so bizarre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back