News Richard Douglas signs one year extension

Has the Pizzaman delivered?

• I am pleased that Dougie has re-signed for one year.

Votes: 69 71.1%
  • I am disappointed that Dougie has re-signed for one year.

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • I am Richard Douglas

Votes: 21 21.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

11 rounds to go? Why the rush? We’ve seen what can happen to players at similar ages. What if he has a poor second half of the year? There aren’t too many easy games in that lot.

I'm guessing it's a cheap contract (say near base salary), and if he does drop off he just becomes an experienced leader in the SANFL/depth option.

I'm guessing it's a cheap contract (say near base salary), and if he does drop off he just becomes an experienced leader in the SANFL/depth option.
What's the worse thing can happen?

Douglas' form falls off a cliff next year & we use him in the sanfl to help develop the younger players like we did with Thommo.

Giving him a 1 year extension is hardly a big risk & given his form his deserved.

Douglas' form falls off a cliff next year & we use him in the sanfl to help develop the younger players like we did with Thommo.

Giving him a 1 year extension is hardly a big risk & given his form his deserved.

Pretty much, and if he's not commanding much salary (and he wouldn't at this stage); it doesn't really matter when this gets announced.

Ideally Gallucci gets his spot round 1 next year, but I don't mind having him as an option if Gooch doesn't click (though at this point, i'd be surprised if he didn't).

He's currently our (equal) 4th best performed player this year, and you think he'll be "near base salary"? That's seriously dumb. He'll be on $400k, or probably more than that. He certainly won't be anywhere near the bottom of the pay scale.

He's currently our (equal) 4th best performed player this year, and you think he'll be "near base salary"? That's seriously dumb. He'll be on $400k, or probably more than that. He certainly won't be anywhere near the bottom of the pay scale.

He's equally 31 and one-two years away from retirement. Considering that cliff is fast approaching If we have paid him 400k+ we've ****ed up.

300k is the upper limit for this deal to get a pass for me.

He's equally 31 and one-two years away from retirement. Considering that cliff is fast approaching If we have paid him 400k+ we've ****** up.

Players aged 30+ get paid higher salaries, because they lose the job security of having a multi-year contract. In any case, the size of his contract would be determined by his performance on the field - and he's been easily one of our best players this year.

$300k is just insulting for a player with his achievements and current level of performance.

I doubt his contract would put him in the top-10 at the club. It's even more doubtful that he'd be in the bottom 20. He's probably on $400-500k.

Cumulative Scores:
Laird 34
Seedsman 25
Gibbs 20
Douglas 14
Betts 14
Atkins 10
Milera 10
Greenwood 9
McGovern 8
Jenkins 7
Vhaluus --- AFLCA votes are awarded by coaches and I would normally defer to their expertise and evaluations, until I noticed Atkins in 6th place o_O, above. Douglas' re-signing has polarised the posters in here but more seem in favour than not by about 4:1
I do think your criticism of Douglas is too harsh, though --- I've never seen him not-try or play lazily.

Players aged 30+ get paid higher salaries, because they lose the job security of having a multi-year contract. In any case, the size of his contract would be determined by his performance on the field - and he's been easily one of our best players this year.

$300k is just insulting for a player with his achievements and current level of performance.

I doubt his contract would put him in the top-10 at the club. It's even more doubtful that he'd be in the bottom 20. He's probably on $400-500k.

300k is not a bad pay packet no matter age. I think he may be slightly higher though.

He's been B to B+ pretty consistently in the last few years in my eyes. When we're talking about this year, I reckon Dougie was one of the main drive for us when we had the good start in 5-2. Remember him being crunched a few games, and he has been the one who's shed the most blood (literally) for us this year also. He deserves an extension.
Very fair assessment.
I disagree strongly with this:
Still goes missing when the pressure is on
The tissue around his left eye in particular is heavily scarred, because he goes in hard and tough (head first!) when the heat's on. "Goes missing" rarely.

11 rounds to go? Why the rush? We’ve seen what can happen to players at similar ages. What if he has a poor second half of the year? There aren’t too many easy games in that lot.
Because if his form dies maybe he helps the sanfl team win a game next year and you reward players like him with good service still playing with adequate FORM

It's not as if we're carrying an abundance of over 30 yo's , we could prob do with getting in a blue chip one like other clubs have done as we could be pretty young next year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because if his form dies maybe he helps the sanfl team win a game next year and you reward players like him with good service still playing with adequate FORM

It's not as if we're carrying an abundance of over 30 yo's , we could prob do with getting in a blue chip one like other clubs have done as we could be pretty young next year
How much cap do you think he’s be taking up?

Vhaluus --- AFLCA votes are awarded by coaches and I would normally defer to their expertise and evaluations, until I noticed Atkins in 6th place o_O, above. Douglas' re-signing has polarised the posters in here but more seem in favour than not by about 4:1
I do think your criticism of Douglas is too harsh, though --- I've never seen him not-try or play lazily.

Atkins is a bit unfairly criticized in some senses seeing usually you get decently good offensive output in him (which is the primary goal of an outside midfielder), and can be very damaging if he gets off the chain.

Just that his defensive work leaves a lot to be desired and he has the very outside midfielders problem of being completely reliant on others going well (as he has little to no inside game).

He's a good 3rd-4th outside midfielder in a side (which is much better than Mackay), but if we could trade him it's equally worth it seeing those flaws are here to stay.

I've never said he doesn't try or play lazily.

Just he's not worth giving an extension to when his contribution isn't that much higher than some of our most fringe players.

I've never said he doesn't try or play lazily.

Just he's not worth giving an extension to when his contribution isn't that much higher than some of our most fringe players.
If your assessment of Douglas was accurate, you would have a point.

Giving someone who is comfortably in our top-10 players this season a 1 year contract extension is a sensible decision.

If your assessment of Douglas was accurate, you would have a point.

Giving someone who is comfortably in our top-10 players this season a 1 year contract extension is a sensible decision.

Do I need to go back and quote the comparisons between him and CEY or Atkins?

Scott Thompson was in our top 10 B&F players in 2015, should we have signed him to go again in 2016?

Actually the worst that can happen is that his form falls off a cliff and we pick him regardless.

I'm not opposed to re-signing Dougy. Though I'd be more warm and fuzzy about it if not for the recent showdown debacle.

Do I need to go back and quote the comparisons between him and CEY or Atkins?

Scott Thompson was in our top 10 B&F players in 2015, should we have signed him to go again in 2016?
Go your hardest, but most on this board disagree with you still...

300k is not a bad pay packet no matter age. I think he may be slightly higher though.
300k is a lot less than Douglas deserves, based on performance alone - and that's before adding the "single year contract" premium. It's below the average wage for an AFL player, and Douglas would definitely be in the upper half of our pay structure - probably the top 1/3.

Go your hardest, but most on this board disagree with you still...

Some of the muppets on this board disagreeing with you is often a sign you're on the right track.

Anyway I've voiced my opinion, we'll see who is correct next year.

7 of Atkins' 10 votes came from one game - vs Sydney. He did play very well in that particular game.

He's equally 31 and one-two years away from retirement. Considering that cliff is fast approaching If we have paid him 400k+ we've ****** up.

WTF does him being 1-2 years away from retirement have to do with anything?

It's really very simple. Is he performing? If the answer is yes, and it obviously is, then pay him accordingly.

Any argument that he should be paid less, just because he's older, is monumentally stupid, unfair, and agist. He'd be on $400k easily, probably closer to $500k, and it may even be more than that (given that the cap went up by 20% last year). Anything less than $300k is downright insulting.

Back