Past Richard Hadley (2001-2007)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Richard Hadley

By the way, the Hadley speculation was hardly secretive. Anyone could have walked up to Sam and asked him the same question. :p

Just because it came from a Lions official doesn't mean its clandestine information.

This is great news - of all the players I'd like to return to the game and succeed, he's definately No. 1. ( Well .. after Brad Boyd .. who he looks like BTW ).

All the best.

I was just looking at his last game and 12 players who played in that match are no longer playing with this club. And another 3 players are unavailable for the match against Sydney.

Hard to believe really... seems like decades ago since I last saw him play.

This is great news - of all the players I'd like to return to the game and succeed, he's definately No. 1. ( Well .. after Brad Boyd .. who he looks like BTW ).

All the best.
...Boyd and Voss in the same team. I have gone all melancholy at the thought of "what could have been"...

I am another of the Hadley-hopefuls having enjoyed watching him play in '04 when he really started to show some promising signs.

After the weekends game (and maybe a couple of slow performances) I hope Leigh sticks with him in the seniors to get his confidence back, and also get him used to the tempo of AFL football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hadley's happy return

By Simon White, for lions.com.au, 24 May 2007

News

THERE are times when Richard Hadley looks around the Lions' locker room at the Gabba and wonders quite what happened.

Before his comeback from two knee reconstructions in round three against Sydney, Hadley's most recent game was the 2004 grand final - when he was aged 21.

Among his teammates against Port Adelaide that day were the now departed Mal Michael, Darryl White, Justin Leppitsch, Brad Scott, Jason Akermanis, Craig McRae, Martin Pike, Alastair Lynch, Clark Keating, Michael Voss, Dylan McLaren and Blake Caracella.

Now, preparing to play his seventh game of the year against Collingwood on Saturday, Hadley suddenly finds himself a "middle-aged" player and he admits it's a strange feeling.

"It's definitely a bit different," Hadley said.

"I was used to being the youngest one out there. I was a bit wet behind the ears and I don't think I took it all in.

"It all happened so quickly that I never had time to sit there and think about it all."

Hadley's situation is made slightly more odd by the fact that his absence has allowed younger Lions to pass him in the "games played" stakes. Eight weekends into his seventh season at the Gabba, Hadley has just 33 games to his credit. By comparison, teammates Jed Adock (aged 22) and Justin Sherman (20), have played 40 and 48 games respectively.

The tall midfielder says the game changed for the quicker in his time away, with new kick-in rules providing for much faster end-to-end transition.

"I definitely reckon things have got quicker - particularly with how quick teams are able to take it down the other end of the ground after a kick-in," Hadley said.

"The last three weeks we haven't been at our best with our ball use and that's where you really can get hurt these days, on the turnover. You give it away and next thing you know it's at the other end going through the goals.

"I'm feeling my way back into things. Last week I got a fair few touches and but I'm still struggling a bit with my disposal and my timing around the stoppages.

"I'm getting better every week though I think and I don't think that timing is too far away."

Hadley, like fellow long-term injury victim Nigel Lappin, says a lack of match-conditioning has him pulling up more than would normally be the case after each outing.

That he is getting the opportunity to pull up sore at all is partly down to eight days spent last August with US "knee whisperer" Bill Knowles.

"He (Knowles) had done a lot of work with skiers and snowboarders - those guys do ACLs all the time. And some English sporting teams had sent their players over there," he explained.

"I'd done a year-and-a-half of rehab by that stage and it was great to get some fresh ideas. I had a ball - Bill was the kind of guy whose enthusiasm and energy just rub off on you.

"I ended up doing a lot of different things that probably wouldn't have been part of my program here. It wasn't just about the leg - it was about the rest of the body as well."

http://lions.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/5085/Default.aspx?newsId=43844

Hey Brissie fans,

How is Hadley travelling.

I've seen his stats, but being in the ACT, don't see any Brisbane games.

Is he easily in your 22?

Do you see him getting dropped at all this season?

Is he playing midfield or rotating around a few positions.

Thanks.

Link

Premiership midfielder Richard Hadley and local junior Scott Harding come into the team for Matthew Moody, who was dropped, and Rhan Hooper, who is serving a three-week suspension for high contact on Hawk Rick Ladson last week. Hadley made his return in the round 3 clash with the Swans after two seasons on the sidelines with knee injuries.
He kept his place in the seniors for 11 games until being dropped following the loss to Port Adelaide.
But he has been among the best each week in the reserves and the Lions match committee would no doubt have been influenced by the job he performed against the Swans on dangerman Adam Goodes.
Sydney is one of the more physical sides in the competition and Hadley's bulk and ball-winning ability around stoppages would also have weighed in his favour.

Pretty good come back game from Hadley. Played on O'Keefe (who I rate very highly) and probably won the battle.

hadleybb7.jpg

Hadley finishes the season with 2 wins from his 14 games this year. Poor bugger.

Was touted by some as the hard inside midfielder to replace Voss but has played his last couple of games in defence. It will be interesting to see if this is a temporary move or whether that's where the Lions think he is best suited.

Hadley finishes the season with 2 wins from his 14 games this year. Poor bugger.

Was touted by some as the hard inside midfielder to replace Voss but has played his last couple of games in defence. It will be interesting to see if this is a temporary move or whether that's where the Lions think he is best suited.

I would expect that it would all depend on how his speed, endurance, etc come along with a proper preseason.

Link

By Greg Denham

Carlton has shown an interest in former West Australian Richard Hadley, who is out of contract.

hadleygp5.jpg

Link

Carlton and Fremantle are interested in out-of-contract Brisbane midfielder Richard Hadley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back