Past Richard Hadley (2001-2007)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Richard Hadley

Interesting to read that we are interestred in Hadley.

Realistically, what would you want for him?

It's hard to put a value on a player who hasn't played much in the last couple of years. Being a good player who has had a terrible run with injuries he has a big upside as well as a big downside. I can't see him commanding a first round pick and I can't see the Lions be interested in trading him for anything less than a 2nd round pick.

Link

Lions ready to lose Hadley
Article from:
Andrew Hamilton
October 09, 2007 12:00am

BRISBANE could lose one of its most popular players, Richard Hadley.
Hadley played in a premiership win in his seventh (correction - fourth) senior game in 2003. Hadley is highly regarded by everyone at the club but struggled for opportunities this season after returning from two knee reconstructions.
Although he managed 14 games in 2007, the West Australian was unable to cement a permanent spot in his preferred midfield position and might find more opportunity elsewhere.
It is understood Hadley could be headed for Carlton to join West Coast champion Chris Judd in a new-look Blues engine room.
Both players are managed by Paul Connors, who has an excellent track record in getting players to the clubs they choose.
The Lions would like to keep Hadley but it is believed they will honour his request to be traded if a suitable deal can be done.
Although he has managed only 41 games, Hadley would offer good value to the right club.
At 190cm and 88kg he is a good size for a midfielder, is strong over the ball and is renowned for his ability around the stoppages.
If he goes to Carlton, he could also provide a strong body to assist Judd who receives heavy attention from opposition taggers.

hadleyjw9.jpg

What would be the better midfield to work with: Judd, Stevens, Murphy with Kruezer rucking or Black, Lappin, Adcock with Leuey/Charmo rucking?

Honest question with probably no right answer but who would you go for?

I'd just miss my fav "Richard Hadley coming in from the Vulture Street End" jibes every time he plays at the Gabba! :(

Link

1.50pm Friday
The Blues have added another premiership midfielder. On top of Chris Judd, they just snared Richard Hadley from the Lions. They grabbed him in exchange for pick 52.

Hadley leaves after playing 41 games in 7 seasons. He had 2 knee reconstructions, but played in 2 grand finals and 1 premiership. It seems a shame to be losing him after all the years of perseverance with his injuries. I agree with POBT that the exchange of 52 looks like a means of getting Hadley to the club of his choice.

Link

Hadley leaves after playing 41 games in 7 seasons. He had 2 knee reconstructions, but played in 2 grand finals and 1 premiership. It seems a shame to be losing him after all the years of perseverance with his injuries. I agree with POBT that the exchange of 52 looks like a means of getting Hadley to the club of his choice.

52!! a pick we arent even going to use! Thats a load of crap, sorry but we get shafted again. Effectively we get nothing for him, look at the other crap midfielders who got traded for picks in the 30s. Sick of getting shafted by poor negotiators.

52!! a pick we arent even going to use! Thats a load of crap, sorry but we get shafted again. Effectively we get nothing for him, look at the other crap midfielders who got traded for picks in the 30s. Sick of getting shafted by poor negotiators.

It's Carlton. "Take 52, or we'll pick him up for free in the PSD". Same as every other year.

Edit: and I'm not 100% convinced we won't use the pick yet. See the thread on our main board.

I am really disappointed about this. Two knee reco's and 1st year back we have put three years into this guy. He played in a Flag in his 5th game and all we get for him is Pick 52 because of this system where Carlton get to gut other clubs because they lose all year.

I do wish Richard Hadley all the best. I know he will be a very successful footballer in the next few years, but it is very upsetting that it wont be in a Lions jumper.

I am really disappointed about this. Two knee reco's and 1st year back we have put three years into this guy. He played in a Flag in his 5th game and all we get for him is Pick 52 because of this system where Carlton get to gut other clubs because they lose all year.

I do wish Richard Hadley all the best. I know he will be a very successful footballer in the next few years, but it is very upsetting that it wont be in a Lions jumper.

Is it possible that he has been released due to salary cap pressure?

Hopefully he can get back to the form he has shown in the past but there is a massive ? next to his name due to the 2 x knee reco's.

Poor trading from Brisbane to let him go for only pick 52 IMO given other trades that went through (eg: McMahon for a top 20 pick!). Although you did well in effectively securing Johnstone for Wood.

Is it possible that he has been released due to salary cap pressure?

Hopefully he can get back to the form he has shown in the past but there is a massive ? next to his name due to the 2 x knee reco's.

Poor trading from Brisbane to let him go for only pick 52 IMO given other trades that went through (eg: McMahon for a top 20 pick!). Although you did well in effectively securing Johnstone for Wood.

This is my mail.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the prevailing vibe from Carlton in this is we're happy to take the risk on his fitness because his upside is great, and he cost next-to-nothing.

Not sure of the exact circumstances of him leaving though... was he not getting opportunity in the (clearly) stronger Brisbane midfield? Did Adcock and Sherman and these guys push him out?

Not sure of the exact circumstances of him leaving though... was he not getting opportunity in the (clearly) stronger Brisbane midfield? Did Adcock and Sherman and these guys push him out?

We experimented with him in various positions throughout the year but he just didn't seem to click the way he did before his knee recos.

Change of environment should be good fir him.

Link

BRISBANE football manager Graeme Allan says the Lions are happy with their in a trade week dealings.
Brisbane’s received Carlton’s fourth-round selection (currently No.52) in exchange for Richard Hadley.
“With Richard Hadley, it was more about giving him an opportunity …We’re very happy to give a quality young man like him an opportunity to play at another good club.”

Link

Lions midfielder Richard Hadley has been traded to the Carlton Football Club for their fourth round selection (pick No. 52 overall).
“We were very disappointed that Richard Hadley asked to be traded and that he wanted to leave this club,” Leigh Matthews said.
“This will be the first summer for three years that Richard is not in injury rehabilitation so we did not want to lose his services. However, he would have gone to Carlton in the Pre-Season Draft so we eventually agreed to trade him for quite a low pick for a player of his talents.”

hadleyfa2.jpg

Two somewhat conflicting comments.

I expect that Leigh's comment is closer to the truth, while Gubby has tried to put a more positive spin on the trade.

Nothing new, just a different take on things:

Link

Lions take swipe at Hadley
12/10/2007 4:48:03 PM
Paul Gough
Sportal

The 2007 AFL trade week has proven to be a mixed bag for the Brisbane Lions, who are jubilant at their capture of experienced Melbourne midfielder Travis Johnstone but angry over Richard Hadley's decision to move to Carlton.
The Lions traded the 24-year-old to Carlton on Friday in exchange for pick 52 in the November national draft but accepted a low pick rather than risk him losing him for nothing in the December pre-season draft - where the Blues have pick two.
What has made the Lions even angrier is the fact that Hadley is finally fully fit after the Lions stuck with him during 2005 and 2006 when he failed to play a single game, following two successive knee re-constructions.
In fact Hadley, who played in the Lions' 2003 premiership team and also their losing 2004 grand final side, played just 41 games in six seasons with Brisbane.
"We were very disappointed that Richard Hadley asked to be traded and that he wanted to leave this club," Brisbane coach Leigh Matthews said on Friday.
"This will be the first summer for three years that Richard is not in injury rehabilitation so we did not want to lose his services."
"However he would have gone to Carlton in the pre-season draft (for no compensation) so we eventually agreed to trade him for quite a low pick for a player of his talents."

hadleyiq5.jpg

Link

Ratten upbeat about Hadley acquisition
5:36 PM Fri 12 October, 2007
By Jennifer Witham
for carltonfc.com.au

COACH Brett Ratten says the Blues' acquisition of premiership midfielder Richard Hadley will complement Chris Judd’s presence.
The Blues have gone from having zero premiership players on their list to two in the space of as many days, with Hadley and Judd becoming the club's only premiership winners following Anthony Koutoufides' retirement.
Ratten hopes Hadley’s experience will help the Blues’ young list as it attempts to soar back up the ladder.
"[Hadley] is a premiership player and he's at a really good age for us. We think he'll make a really good contribution to our midfield and around the square," he said, on Friday afternoon.
"I think he uses the ball really well and he's one of these players that when you've done a knee, it sometimes takes another 12 months.
"We've seen with David Rodan that it took an extra 12 months, and we think that he can really add to our group.
"When you bring in Judd and Hadley, both premiership players … that's what we're all about, bringing in successful people, and he's one of them. He ticked a lot of boxes for us."
Ratten also said the Blues have confidence in Hadley's body, despite the fact the 24-year-old recommenced his playing career this year after missing both the 2005 and 2006 seasons after back-to-back knee reconstructions.
He also said he expects Hadley to prosper when given opportunities the Lions were unable to provide.
"I think he's keen for opportunity. At the Brisbane Lions, they put the Adcocks and these blokes in front of him, so he found it hard to get a game," he said.
"We think he'll make a valuable contribution to our club, and I think with a person who is a great quality bloke, off the field as well, and we needed a bit more age into our team as well.
"We're the youngest team in the AFL and he just brings a lot of things to our club, so I think it's fantastic."

1zmyss9.jpg

They’re footballers, they are the opposite of supporters. Best of luck Richard with your future at the blue baggers, may it be injury free.

Book closed, go TJ.

It's funny how things can change. In 2004 he was our next big thing. Who would have guessed after that he would only win 2 more games in Lions colours?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back