Richard Hadley - ALL MERGED

Sherminator.

Club Legend
Jan 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Re: Hadley for pick 52

What was the name of that ruck who played for i think it was Vic Country, whichever one Kruezer was not in, he is meant to be pretty decent isn't he? I'd suspect he would go in the first round though and we want a dynamic little machine.
McEvoy, he'll go top 25, wouldn't take him at eiteher of our first picks.

Yeah it's really a joke, you guys mustn't have rated rucks in the past, the evidence is Hackland and McLaren. Now you have had to tank to assure yourselves prime spot for Kruezer. :rolleyes:

Good rucks= premierships.

Here's your recent first round draft history:

2003 AFL draft
First Round- Brisbane
Pick 18: Llane Spaanderman (Ruckman/forward)

2004 AFL draft
First Round- Brisbane
Pick 18: Cameron Wood (Ruckman)

2005 AFL draft
First Round- Brisbane
Pick 9: Mitchell Clarke (Ruckman/Forward)

2006 AFL Draft
First Round- Brisbane
Pick 4: Matthew Leuenberger (Ruckman)

Now tell me Brisbane isn't obessesed with ruckman. This is not a troll, its a fact. Why the hell would you want to recruit another ruckman? :confused:

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys

Now tell me Brisbane isn't obessesed with ruckman. This is not a troll, its a fact. Why the hell would you want to recruit another ruckman? :confused:

Because we also have an obsession with these...

4hvyidk.jpg

Sherminator.

Club Legend
Jan 6, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

2003 AFL draft
First Round- Brisbane

2004 AFL draft
First Round- Brisbane

2005 AFL draft
First Round- Brisbane

2006 AFL Draft
First Round- Brisbane

We have a best available rule when it comes to drafting, take a look at the players taking before and after our picks in the drafts, you can see it is a coincidence that Brisbane just happen to pick a lot of talls.

Wood was touted a possible #1 in U-16's. Mitch Clark was a possible top 3 before injury. Leuenberger could have easily gone #1, luckily he went to the Lions at #4, Gibbs and Leuenberger were in a class of their own going into that draft. Just an idea of what the 'best available' technique happens to produce.

Oh as to why we got Spaanderman, I don't know. Lol, I was a lil tacker then.

BigCat2

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

2003 AFL draft
First Round- Brisbane

2004 AFL draft
First Round- Brisbane

2005 AFL draft
First Round- Brisbane

2006 AFL Draft
First Round- Brisbane

Well Spaanderman was a failure, and he isn't with us any more. I don't see why we should not take a ruckman just because we drafted 1 at some stage, but is now gone?

Mitch Clark is likely to become a full time FF or 80% forward/20% ruck.

With Wood and Leuenberger, well we've always used the 'best available' policy instead of trying to plug holes. We continued to do this even if this meant we had surplus in certain areas. As we saw this week with Cameron Wood, quality will fetch you quality in a trade. I'd rather have an unbalanced list that is quality and can be easily topped up, rather than a very ordinary team that has personnel in every position.

awesome_assassin

Team Captain
Jun 24, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Cricket, Rugby Leauge

Jeez weve shown this bloke some faith keeping him on the list with 2 knee reco's, but i suppose if he was gonna walk, what can you do?

So besides Black and Adcock who will do the grunt work in the middle..

Lappin, Power, Riska, Begley and TJ are outside receiving types yeah?

So much for trade week being minimal up here, its all been a little bit eerie this week for me:eek:

We have a best available rule when it comes to drafting, take a look at the players taking before and after our picks in the drafts, you can see it is a coincidence that Brisbane just happen to pick a lot of talls.

Yeah, we were taking the best available over the years where other teams just weren't rating rucks that highly for some reason. This seemed to mean quality ruckmen were constantly slipping to our round 1 pick, which tended to be in the last couple for some reason. ;)

LuckyLuke

Club Legend
Brisbane Lions - Simon Black 2010 Player Sponsor
Feb 28, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Not necessarily. I think it has been made abundantly clear that it is virtually impossible to deduce from the outside what the salary cap pressure is like. We might be tracking nicely, we might be under a little pressure, we might be a few bucks under. It is just too hard to surmise. Ask LuckyLuke who just did the exercise trying to guesstimate the contract values of our players.

Far more likely is that we simply weren't willing to pay for a guy that we just weren't sure was worth the money he was asking for. It is not about spending every last cent of the cap just because you can. If we valued Hadley as a $80K player and were willing to go as high as $100K but he could get $150K elsewhere, do we automatically let the fact that someone else is out there bumping up the price dictate what we think he is worth? The market aint always right and paying overs on all of our players is a surefire way to go broke quickly.

I remember when Travis Baird left that many people let the fact that another club was willing to pay more than us dictate their judgment of the club's decision not to price compete. We got that one right and Baird took up a senior list spot for two years with little return for the Dogs. We might get the Hadley one wrong but until we are consistently getting more wrong than we get right, then the club has to assume that its decision making process is working OK.

Summed up nicely. From my TPP post, i worked out that we may have freed up about $500k in the cap for next season. If $200k of that is automatically going to Trapper, there's not too much left to use to negotiate with.

Honestly, i don't blame Hadley chasing the bigger offer. Yes, he's thinking of himself, but the guy has had two knee reco's. I'd probably be doing the same if it meant leaving the club i love, but securing my financial well being. One more knee injury and he's probably finished. Now his knee is more prone to re-injury and seeing how easily the first one happened, i wouldn't be surprised if the next one ends his carrer.

We don't know the details of the offer Carlton was putting before him but it may have been 2 to 3 times and much as what we offered. Maybe even been offered a job at VISY, who knows.

I still wish him all the best and good luck with the surface of your new home ground. (Hope you are getting a really good base salary and at least 3 years)

How the **** could he want to leave for more ****ing opportunities? The idiot has been out for two bloody seasons! Now he wants more opportunities? The bloody bastard was set for 22 games in the centre next season! God, I have lost totally respect for Hadley, I'm sorry to say it, but I sure as hell hope we give him a bloody smash around next season.

Bloody insulting, pick 52 for Hads? WTH were the Lions thinking, sure he was going to go into the PSD, but we could have got atleast a better pick for him, seriously, couldn't we?

He was dropped this year. Just seemed too slow for mine and wasn't in our best 22, worse now Johnstone has arrived. I can't blame him really - more money, longer contract, more opportunity. You'd have to be mad to pass that up.

As for the pick, quite simply if we could've got better, we would've. But it wasn't there to be had. They had all the leverage.

Bobby Beecroft

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2003
Junction Oval Goalsquare
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions THFC

He was dropped this year. Just seemed too slow for mine and wasn't in our best 22, worse now Johnstone has arrived. I can't blame him really - more money, longer contract, more opportunity. You'd have to be mad to pass that up.

As for the pick, quite simply if we could've got better, we would've. But it wasn't there to be had. They had all the leverage.

Exactly my thoughts TFB.
Great post.

May 20, 2006
In the Clique.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

And my thoughts to POBT and TFB.

I am not that worried about Hadley going. Nor Brennan if it comes to it. I am still of the opinion that players and coach's come and go.

Don't take that as being heartless or thinking that we should all be indifferent to the playing and coaching staff. I just guess that after 40 odd years of watching top line team sport I have seen it all, the comings the goings etc. I understand the need to build a club culture and that the loyalty of the players and the coaching staff plays a huge part in that but what we have to remember is that most players have a short career and if they do get a better deal it would be ridiculous to not at least give them the benefit of the doubt as to their financial and personal requirement's. Also take into account that by the very nature of competitive sport it verges on impossible to maintain the list over a middle to a longer period of time due to the factors I mentioned above, financial and personal, but also the fluid nature of the opposition and their ability to adapt to the changes required to beat us or whom ever is top of the tree at any given time.

As hard as this week has been on some of us in the end we had, what I would have thought was the natural movement of players in retirements, de-listings and changing of clubs.

Also as to the speculation by the media and on fan sites such as big footy the vast majority is that, speculation. The other point I would make is that in the old Bears days prior to Robert Walls term as coach the bears were a dumping ground for any old hack that clubs moved on. To me this present speculation over some of our young stars more than proves to me that the amalgamated Lions are a force. I like that feeling.

Hilly72

All Australian
Mar 28, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC, Birregurra FC

John, well said.

I tend to think that we are moving more and more into a professional era. Clubs will have their "franchise" players (to steal a term from the NBA) and the fringe players will become more and more interchangeable. After all the final goal is success and success brings financial safety to the clubs.

Could Hadley win us a premiership? I am not sure, can TJ? Time will tell, but after reading what every one has had to say on the matter and thinking long and hard about it, I feel that he brings at least one thing to the club that we struggled with last year and that was class skills. With Brown and Bradshaw in action and Lukey, Nige, Black and TJ delivering to them I am excited!!!

Grandpa

Debutant
Aug 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Brisbane

I don't blame him for leaving. I would have done the same thing. Why risk another year being a reserves player where you could walk into someone's midfield and play 22 games?

If Brisbane wanted to keep Hadley, they should have given him for opportunities and don't discourage him anymore by drafting Johnstone.

Dec 7, 2001
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

How the **** could he want to leave for more ****ing opportunities? The idiot has been out for two bloody seasons! Now he wants more opportunities? The bloody bastard was set for 22 games in the centre next season! God, I have lost totally respect for Hadley, I'm sorry to say it, but I sure as hell hope we give him a bloody smash around next season.

Bloody insulting, pick 52 for Hads? WTH were the Lions thinking, sure he was going to go into the PSD, but we could have got atleast a better pick for him, seriously, couldn't we?

DAMN YOU HADLEY!

Oh well, on the brighter side, our class of 2006 will be getting more games, I suspect Schmidt to take Hadley's spot/role.

What a disturbing post.Calling Hads those names is not called for.

For goodness sakes, then you wish him harm when they play us.

Pedro the Lion

Senior List
Jun 9, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Why risk another year being a reserves player where you could walk into someone's midfield and play 22 games?

If Brisbane wanted to keep Hadley, they should have given him for opportunities and don't discourage him anymore by drafting Johnstone.

I too would hope that if a club had rated you highly enough to play you in a grand final in your first few games then stuck by you through two knee-reconstructions you'd give them the benefit of the doubt. Last year wasn't about lack of opportunity, it was that Hadley wasn't up for it. If he plays that way this year, he's not walking into anyone's best 22. If he does get back to level we anticipated, then as if he wouldn't have had the opportunity at the Lions. Very confusing decision for me and I can understand the frustration by those who are expressing it.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

Hadley is 24, and has played 41 games in 7 years. Two knee recos have probably cut a couple of years of his eventual longevity as well.

You can't really blame him for taking a better offer at this stage, he probably has at best 6 years to earn some money from the game.

Players still live in the real world of homes, cars, groceries, mortgages, credit cards, sending the kids to good schools, private health insurance, taking the family on a holiday every Christmas, ...

Sad to see him go, but to paraphrase Chris Judd, people too easily forget that being a footballer is just one part of a player's life.

Dec 7, 2001
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Hadley is 24, and has played 41 games in 7 years. Two knee recos have probably cut a couple of years of his eventual longevity as well.

You can't really blame him for taking a better offer at this stage, he probably has at best 6 years to earn some money from the game.

Players still live in the real world of homes, cars, groceries, mortgages, credit cards, sending the kids to good schools, private health insurance, taking the family on a holiday every Christmas, ...

Sad to see him go, but to paraphrase Chris Judd, people too easily forget that being a footballer is just one part of a player's life.

Couldn't agree more.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

I also think the reason Hadley chose Carlton is evidence of this.

He isn't leaving us to chase glory, or to go back home (as he is a WA boy).

I remember reading that Hadley was a promising cricketer and had to choose between cricket and football as a career.

He could very well be one of those guys who chose sport primarily as a good career choice, and he might not be as driven by passion for the game as some others are.

Takes different strokes to rule the world.

AndSmithMustScore

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
Celtic Utopia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Boston ones.

Excellent post.

I might use it as reference to people who begrudge even the elite players like Judd for factoring in money to their decisions.

AFL has changed and with the money involved now it's more a career than a sport than it ever has been.

How people can begrudge players wanting to try and expand their futures after football finishes by making the most of the opportunities they have now astounds me.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams

Excellent post.

I might use it as reference to people who begrudge even the elite players like Judd for factoring in money to their decisions.

AFL has changed and with the money involved now it's more a career than a sport than it ever has been.

How people can begrudge players wanting to try and expand their futures after football finishes by making the most of the opportunities they have now astounds me.

You'll find that some of the people here are just responding from the emotional shock of losing a favorite son. I remember spitting chips when Des left, was absolutely spewing.

So while I don't agree with some of the responses here, I am not going to judge people too harshly. Its incredibly easy to become emotionally invested in your team.

While you may disagree with it, it shouldn't really astound you. It's only natural fans will be pissed off if a player decides to play for the opposition.

Back