Toast Richard 'Hollywood' Douglas

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't be bothered reading this thread, but Douglas has had a very good year and would be top 5 in the b&f at the moment.
It helps when the rest of the teams been injured.

But if you think he’s had a very good year you are easily pleased or a poor judge.

Put it this way, if he's around the 18th-22nd best player in your starting 22 you've got a pretty bloody good team. If you start to have him as one of your premier midfielders though, your side will most likely be near the bottom of the table. Dougie is a solid player for us and has been for many years. Once we get our stars back it'll take less heat off him and he will play his role. We have more issues in our team than Dougie at this stage. He's been good this year.

Put it this way, if he's around the 18th-22nd best player in your starting 22 you've got a pretty bloody good team. If you start to have him as one of your premier midfielders though, your side will most likely be near the bottom of the table. Dougie is a solid player for us and has been for many years. Once we get our stars back it'll take less heat off him and he will play his role. We have more issues in our team than Dougie at this stage. He's been good this year.
Sometimes he’s been good and that’s the issue. In our 3 losses he has been poor and yet he gets a thread clapping him for beating up on s**t teams.

Is this really what we’ve stooped to with the caliber of senior players we’ve had recently? Cheering on downhill skiers? No wonder we’ve won nothing for 20 years.

marty36 blames Ogilvie for not winning a flag when blame lays squarely at the feet of our senior players, all who have been around for a long time, Douglas being a key one.

Put it this way, imagine if our senior players weren’t Douglas and Mackay going into last year’s GF but Hodge, Burgoyne, or Mitchell? Despite their invidual brilliance, they are leaders.

I know Mackay wasn’t on the bus, I’m not sure if Douglas was but the fact Mackay wasn’t and about to notch up 200 games says it all.

Last edited:
Sometimes he’s been good and that’s the issue. In our 3 losses he has been poor and yet he gets a thread clapping him for beating up on s**t teams.

Is this really what we’ve stooped to with the caliber of senior players we’ve had recently? Cheering on downhill skiers? No wonder we’ve won nothing for 20 years.

marty36 blames Ogilvie for not winning a flag when blame lays squarely at the feet of our senior players, all who have been around for a long time, Douglas being a key one.

Put it this way, imagine if our senior players weren’t Douglas and Mackay going into last year’s GF but Hodge, Burgoyne, or Mitchell? Despite their invidual brilliance, they are leaders.

I know Mackay wasn’t on the bus, I’m not sure if Douglas was but the fact Mackay wasn’t and about to notch up 200 games says it all.

You can't blame consistently under performing players you blame the coaching group who keep selecting them. They are rarely held to account for their poor performances but instead the likes of Fogarty, Poholke and/or Gallucci will pay the price. Do you think Mackay or Douglas are going to put up their hand and ask to be dropped because they were rubbish. They are clinging on for dear life.

Since when are 200+ game Club Champions excused as being the 18-22 best player?

Look at guys like Jordan Lewis or Kieran Jack - not outright stars, but consistently very good ever week.

Meanwhile, our 200gamers are consistently s**t.

For me the issue is that when Brad and Rory come back in, then one of Douglas, CEY or Greenwood probably has to come out. At the start of the year this wasn't even a question. But now I think Douglas is pretty close to being the guy that should come out. His good performances have been against the weaker teams. He hasn't been performing in the bigger games. There is still a long time before we get back all our players. I would love it for Douglas to hold his spot, because that means he is going to lift to his best, against the best. But I hope its going to be a case of the best performing of these three keeps their spot, and not based on Dougy is a former club champion so the new guy gets the boot.

Dougie has had a solid year. Having to play the multiple roles and would say the he is fitter than ever because of Gibson's presence .

Douglas and/or Mackay will not get dropped. They will play in our next failed finals campaign.

For me the issue is that when Brad and Rory come back in, then one of Douglas, CEY or Greenwood probably has to come out. At the start of the year this wasn't even a question. But now I think Douglas is pretty close to being the guy that should come out. His good performances have been against the weaker teams. He hasn't been performing in the bigger games. There is still a long time before we get back all our players. I would love it for Douglas to hold his spot, because that means he is going to lift to his best, against the best. But I hope its going to be a case of the best performing of these three keeps their spot, and not based on Dougy is a former club champion so the new guy gets the boot.

Yolmen and Greenwood give us less spread than Douglas, but at least they bullock on the inside when the chips are down.

Since when are 200+ game Club Champions excused as being the 18-22 best player?

Look at guys like Jordan Lewis or Kieran Jack - not outright stars, but consistently very good ever week.

Meanwhile, our 200gamers are consistently s**t.

You can’t really account for footy smarts, they’re mostly inherent. You can teach a little bit here and there, but generally speaking a player who starts his career dumb, finishes it dumb.

You have to be a really astute judge to know the difference between a player with an inherently low footy IQ, or a player who is just taking time to develop.

Example of the latter was/is Matt Crouch. He was awful in a few of his really early games, but it wasn’t due to lack of smarts, it was due to lack of experience. He is now one of the smartest players going around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. I am a Dougie fan. But CEY has earnt his spot and is the better option.

Right now our four best mids are Gibbs, M Crouch, Greenwood and CEY. I quite like these four as our prime mids.

Have Sloane take Dougie' s role.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hard to substantiate without seeing who else makes the cut in your best 22. So can you do up your best 22 so we can continue this conversation? Becasue I can't see any best 22 that doesn't have douglas in it.

Hard to substantiate without seeing who else makes the cut in your best 22. So can you do up your best 22 so we can continue this conversation? Becasue I can't see any best 22 that doesn't have douglas in it.

Depends how Douglas goes in the next 6 weeks and compare that with how Hugh and CEY go. Assume Brad Crouch is also fit as well as Smith and its really tough to come up with one.

Brown Talia Doedee
Smith Hartigan Milera
Seedsman M.Crouch Gibbs
Lynch Tex Sloane
Betts JJ Knight

Jacobs B.Crouch Greenwood
CEY McGovern Atkins Kelly

Depends how Douglas goes in the next 6 weeks and compare that with how Hugh and CEY go. Assume Brad Crouch is also fit as well as Smith and its really tough to come up with one.

Brown Talia Doedee
Smith Hartigan Milera
Seedsman M.Crouch Gibbs
Lynch Tex Sloane
Betts JJ Knight

Jacobs B.Crouch Greenwood
CEY McGovern Atkins Kelly

Hard to see kelly and knight keeping douglas out. Kelly for douglas and that team is about right

Hard to see kelly and knight keeping douglas out. Kelly for douglas and that team is about right

No I think you need a solid defender for the rotations. Douglas can play there, but you end up with Douglas, Milera and Smith. All similar, none of them great defenders. You already have Gibbs and Sloane in the team that can swing back there if needed. I think Kelly is pretty much a lock in the 22. I know its my 22, but I would be hesitant with Smith AND Milera in those half back flank roles. Can these guys defend in the same defensive structure under heat. If you were going to be putting Douglas in as predominately a half back then I think one of Smith or Milera would have to come out.

Knight is in as the pressure forward. Douglas isnt quick enough at his age to do that role. If Knight were to come out then I think the options are Gallucci or Murphy. Possibly Hampton.

I wonder if those who were haling his greatness last week are still hailing this week.

A dumb footballer will only get dumber as the pressure increases.

We keep going to the well with the same players who fail over and over again in high pressure games. Will the club ever learn. Given his performane in the GF and the piece of absolute stupidity on Saturday night he must be delisted at the end of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back