Bumped Richard Stremski's "Kill for Collingwood"

HorseHead

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2005
Timbuktoo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Does anybody have any idea where I could get my hands on a copy of this book (apart from rummaging through 2nd hand book stores, that is)? I have been Googling and it appears that it's been out of print for about twenty years.

toorakbum

Team Captain
Jan 28, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NUFC, Bengals
Re: Richard Stremski's Kill for Collingwood

Saw a copy in a 2nd hand bookstore on Fitzroy St, St Kilda near the george cinemas. That was about a month or so back.

stui magpie

Deity in training, practicing omnipotence
Oct 3, 2005
My place
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tocumwal
I have a copy, not for sale or rent by the way.

It was published in '96 and again in '97 by Allen and Unwin australia.

The one I have was published and distributed by Rikstrem pty ltd, 56 lawanna Drive, templestowe, Vic, 3106.

If he hasn't moved in 20 years you could try mailing him. He may have some back copies he never sold??

BTW, great read.

HorseHead

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2005
Timbuktoo
AFL Club
Collingwood
stui magpie said:
I have a copy, not for sale or rent by the way.

It was published in '96 and again in '97 by Allen and Unwin australia.

The one I have was published and distributed by Rikstrem pty ltd, 56 lawanna Drive, templestowe, Vic, 3106.

If he hasn't moved in 20 years you could try mailing him. He may have some back copies he never sold??

BTW, great read.
Thanks a lot for the info. :thumbsu: I just did a White Pages search and there is an R&K Stremski listed at that address... err... not that I'm a stalker or anything. I might try giving him a phone call.

Appreciate the info. It's one of those books I've heard/read about repeatedly and I'd love to get my hands on a copy. There aren't too many seriously good quality football books around. FWIW, I'd recommend Martin Flanagan's works, particularly 1970 and Other Stories of the Australian Game. Southern Sky, Western Oval is another good read, even if it's about Footscray (as they were known back then).

I'll let you know how I get along with Mr. Stremski. Cheers!

HorseHead

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2005
Timbuktoo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Johnson#26 said:
Would be an excellent read, from what I hear.

Maybe try the club? They have plenty of "The Magpie Years" books lying around in the merchandice shop - maybe they have a few left over?
Good idea. I'll try them first, before I harass the author.

HorseHead

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2005
Timbuktoo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Johnson#26 said:
Maybe try the club? They have plenty of "The Magpie Years" books lying around in the merchandise shop - maybe they have a few left over?
Well, I tried calling the merchandise shop yesterday and on both occasions the phone just rang out. Sloppy...

Anyway, I thought "bugger it" and decided to call Mr. Stremski myself. His wife answered the phone (well, I assume it was his wife). I explained that I was hoping to speak to Richard regarding his book, Kill for Collingwood. She started laughing and handed the telephone to him. I presume they've had a few calls about the book over the years.

Anyway, I apologised for calling him at home and explained that I was wondering if he knew where I might be able to find a copy of his book. The first thing that struck me about him (and his wife) was the broad American accent I heard. :eek: We spoke for around ten minutes and he seemed like a very nice guy. He explained that the original publisher, Erwin and Allen had declined to re-publish the book during the 1990s as they still had a few hundred hardcover copies of it in their warehouse at the time. As mentioned by another poster, he ended up publishing it in a limited run around ten years ago.

When I asked him if he happened to have a spare copy lying around, he told me that he actually only has one copy of it himself and he's obviously not willing to part with it. "Over the years, I've given quite a few copies of the book away to people who have asked me." I said "you mean to people like me?" :)

One of the most surreal moments of the conversation was when he referred to "Eddie". It actually took me a moment to register just who he was talking about. The context of the Eddie reference was in regard to the fact that he (Stremski) had spoken to the club about publishing an updated edition of the book. Eddie had told him it was a good idea, but Richard went on to say that the club is only willing to give him archival access up to 1998 (i.e. not willing to share the archives on Eddie's administration). Therefore, he believes it's pointless to update the book and re-publish it at this point in time.

He also told me that the existing copies of the book are actually quite valuable. He's seen them on e-bay for in excess of $100 in recent times. So, for those of you who actually have a copy, hang onto it at all costs. I managed to track one down today. It's a hardcover copy that will cost me $75. Relatively speaking, not a bad price. :) I can't wait to pick it up on Saturday...

Js No. 2

Draftee
Nov 8, 2005
Other Teams
COLLINGWOOD
I had a long chat with Richard Stremski quite some time back.

He use to be very active and was involved in one of the pushes against an incumbent board. (early 90's).

He said originally when he wrote the book the club was very very cold on it as it saw it as being critical and the club would not tolerate a published work critical of the club.

It is a great read simply because it hasn't been written by some hack conscripted by the club to write according to the clubs 'feel good agenda'.

Also rather than the usual ********e mike TABLOID newspaper style it's been written by a social historian.

I pinched my copy from a small library in which it had sat and only been taken out once in 20 odd years.
It was about to be chucked out.

How they could contemplate the desecration of one of the finest works of literature in humanities history was infuriating.

HorseHead

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2005
Timbuktoo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Js No. 2 said:
I had a long chat with Richard Stremski quite some time back.

He use to be very active and was involved in one of the pushes against an incumbent board. (early 90's).

He said originally when he wrote the book the club was very very cold on it as it saw it as being critical and the club would not tolerate a published work critical of the club.

It is a great read simply because it hasn't been written by some hack conscripted by the club to write according to the clubs 'feel good agenda'.

Also rather than the usual ********e mike TABLOID newspaper style it's been written by a social historian.
I'm really looking forward to getting hold of my copy; I reckon I'll read it in one sitting. From the articles I've seen referring to it, it sounds like one of the most definitive books on Aussie Rules ever written. During one of my Google searches, I noticed he'd also written The Shaping of British Policy During the Nationalist Revolution in China. Kill for Collingwood should be very interesting. :)

Js No. 2 said:
I pinched my copy from a small library in which it had sat and only been taken out once in 20 odd years.
It was about to be chucked out.

How they could contemplate the desecration of one of the finest works of literature in humanities history was infuriating.
Funny you should mention that. He was telling me about a copy he saw on e-bay a while ago that had obviously been... removed from a public library. He thought it was quite humorous that somebody would pinch a library book and then sell it on e-bay.

HorseHead

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2005
Timbuktoo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well, I just finished reading the book last night. For those of you who have never read it, do yourself a favour and track down a copy. A fascinating, well-written work. :thumbsu:

1980GFVideo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2004
Heidelberg
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I borrowed it from the Box Hill Library some years back.

You wonder how many prickly Coach president relationships there are in the AFL today.

If you search for it at Yarra Plenty Library you find the following

Yarra Plenty Library/

Kill for Collingwood
Stremski, Richard.

Publisher: Allen & Unwin,
Pub date: 1986.
ISBN: 0868619477
Copy info: 1 copy available at Murrindindi Library Headquarters.
1 copy total in all locations.

Holdings
Murrindindi Library Headquarters Copies Material Location
796.33606 STR 1 Murrindini collection Book On Shelf
Kill for Collingwood
Stremski, Richard.
ISBN: 0868619477
Personal Author: Stremski, Richard.
Title: Kill for Collingwood.
Publication info: Sydney : Allen & Unwin, 1986.
Held by: MURR-HQ
Corporate subject: Collingwood Football Club.
Subject term: Australian football--Clubs--History.

Surely Wiedeman and Clark would have been only one in many and wouldnt be unique to Collingwood.

BTs diary was a good read and better than Shaws and Daicos' who also brought out books that year. Not in the same literary class, I know, but any thing that gives a bit of incite is good to sit down and read.

HorseHead

Club Legend
Apr 29, 2005
Timbuktoo
AFL Club
Collingwood
1980GFVideo said:
I borrowed it from the Box Hill Library some years back.

You wonder how many prickly Coach president relationships there are in the AFL today.

Surely Wiedeman and Clark would have been only one in many and wouldnt be unique to Collingwood.
The Clarke/Weidemann relationship certainly appears to have been one of the worst at Collingwood. I think it's pretty safe to say our first wooden spoon in 1976 was a direct result of that relationship.

1980GFVideo said:
BTs diary was a good read and better than Shaws and Daicos' who also brought out books that year. Not in the same literary class, I know, but any thing that gives a bit of incite is good to sit down and read.
Agreed on BTs book. :thumbsu: One of the most interesting diary-type books I've ever read. He certainly didn't hold back in his descriptions of certain people.

I remember Shaw's was fairly run-of-the-mill, but he did respond in part to some of the passages in Brian Taylor's Diaries.

Got a signed copy on ebay for $80 a month ago
Lucky bastard.

At least a Freo fan appreciates history.:D

Sell me....sell me your copy.

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
mariobump.jpg

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Thanks a lot for the info. :thumbsu: I just did a White Pages search and there is an R&K Stremski listed at that address... err... not that I'm a stalker or anything. I might try giving him a phone call.

Appreciate the info. It's one of those books I've heard/read about repeatedly and I'd love to get my hands on a copy. There aren't too many seriously good quality football books around. FWIW, I'd recommend Martin Flanagan's works, particularly 1970 and Other Stories of the Australian Game. Southern Sky, Western Oval is another good read, even if it's about Footscray (as they were known back then).

I'll let you know how I get along with Mr. Stremski. Cheers!
It's by far, in my view, the best Collingwood book written. It goes really well through the old days.
Plus in avoids the honey saccharine writing that can be found in some fans of such works.

Try eBay.
Well worth it, hard to put down

Shhhh don't tell anyone, but it's even better than big footy magpies threads. Shhhh, our secret....

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just realised this was a bump.

Anyway, it is a super book, the best of its kind in Australian football.

I'm stunned if Collingwood wouldn't want such a book, warts and all, be held back ie not updated, because of any criticism. People can be very precious. History needs recording

I'm more amazed at the bump. Nearly a decade. 10 years. A record for my time on BF.
I was thinking what an interesting story. Didn't even notice the 'bump' until the end:rolleyes:

Dee Snider

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Burning in Hell
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have a hardcover copy at home and always thought it should be made compulsory for all new recruits to read it over their first pre-season Christmas break. Didn't realise it was out of print though...so there goes my idea..

Back