Bumped Richard Stremski's "Kill for Collingwood"

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheesh that's pricey! Got mine 2 years ago for $60 from an old bookstore and I thought that was expensive.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I bought a copy off EBay, probably prompted by this thread, back whenever it was. I've tried searching for the price I paid but the records are too old, but I don't think I paid more than about $10.

Sheesh that's pricey! Got mine 2 years ago for $60 from an old bookstore and I thought that was expensive.

They don't come up too often...$149 now will be cheap in 10 years.

They don't come up too often...$149 now will be cheap in 10 years.
Thats true and to be fair i looked everywhere for that book i somehow ended up calling R stremski at his home by accident. When i rang the club they gave me a number to call not knowing it was actually his number lol. Nicest bloke.

Bumping this (second bumping!) as I’ve just re-read some of it after picking it up off the bookshelf. I can just open any page and sit there for hours reading it.
It got me thinking about the author himself so I tried googling to see if there’s more details on him but not really much at all. I read a comment that he was back at the club in 1997 (appeared to respond to an open letter) but not much other than that. Back of the book says he was the club historian and wrote the script for the ‘Spirit of Collingwood’ doco.
Interested to know if anyone has any further information on him?

Bumping this (second bumping!) as I’ve just re-read some of it after picking it up off the bookshelf. I can just open any page and sit there for hours reading it.
It got me thinking about the author himself so I tried googling to see if there’s more details on him but not really much at all. I read a comment that he was back at the club in 1997 (appeared to respond to an open letter) but not much other than that. Back of the book says he was the club historian and wrote the script for the ‘Spirit of Collingwood’ doco.
Interested to know if anyone has any further information on him?

If I recall correctly he works as a history lecturer at LaTrobe University in Melbourne. He's Canadian originally.

Thanks - looks like he has written about a book about British policy as well. His stint on the board ended when Eddie took over the presidency. Amazed that someone who was a club historian and wrote a seminal piece of work about the clubs’ history seems largely unknown and unrecognised.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read it years ago, but stupidly never bought it. The book was published in the desperate decade of the 1980s, and before the 1990 flag when we were all able to finally exhale.

This thread also has me intrigued, and I think I'll hunt down a copy.

If I spent good dollars on MM's piece of self promotion, The Ox is Slow but the Earth is Patient, then surely I can cough up for a book about the real Collingwood.

There's a copy currently available on ebay for $203. Yikes. Although they'll consider offers below that.

I might wait...

The politics of presidency battles can get heavy if that doesn’t interest but I like the detailed explanations of how we were impacted by introduction of zones (we ended up with a zone with a smaller population and by the time it was addressed in the 80s they’d become redundant) and then how our reluctance to trade (the Quinlan utensil-up is beyond belief) and pay players their worth ultimately were big factors in us losing a couple of GFs.

Stremski was interviewed on ABC Melbourne on GF Eve this year. The interview was heavily focused on Kill For Collingwood. So interesting was this interview that as I approached home, I turned off and drove another 10 minutes so I wouldn't miss any of it.

I have a copy but haven't read it for years. It was fascinating to hear him speak; especially about the history of the suburb of Collingwood, its downtrodden residents and how the club became successful. Carlton, he said, supported us joining the VFA and the relationship was positive until Collingwood started winning premierships. Back in the 80s he was Collingwood's official historian. KFC is a great read for understanding the history of the club and also why it was hated so much.

Stremski was interviewed on ABC Melbourne on GF Eve this year. The interview was heavily focused on Kill For Collingwood. So interesting was this interview that as I approached home, I turned off and drove another 10 minutes so I wouldn't miss any of it.

I have a copy but haven't read it for years. It was fascinating to hear him speak; especially about the history of the suburb of Collingwood, its downtrodden residents and how the club became successful. Carlton, he said, supported us joining the VFA and the relationship was positive until Collingwood started winning premierships. Back in the 80s he was Collingwood's official historian. KFC is a great read for understanding the history of the club and also why it was hated so much.

It's quite interesting the prejudices that caused us being so hated. It surprises me that the hatred has persisted but no one remembers why they started hating us in the first place. Because we were poor, because many were Catholic (though not all), and because we fought against conscription which took more kids from poor neighbourhoods like ours than the surrounding rich neighbourhoods. And because despite being poor we started beating everyone on the field. The hatred has become habitual and no one knows why. I'm proud of our history.

It's quite interesting the prejudices that caused us being so hated. It surprises me that the hatred has persisted but no one remembers why they started hating us in the first place. Because we were poor, because many were Catholic (though not all), and because we fought against conscription which took more kids from poor neighbourhoods like ours than the surrounding rich neighbourhoods. And because despite being poor we started beating everyone on the field. The hatred has become habitual and no one knows why. I'm proud of our history.
Us old timers know why.
Always have.

Hopefully this is available on podcast, would love to listen to him speaking about the book.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back