Bumped Richard Stremski's "Kill for Collingwood"

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, you guys have now peaked my interest enough that I just bought a copy off Gumtree. It's a hardcover edition supposedly in very good condition and with signatures from many of the players of the day. I paid $150 including postage from Perth. Hopefully I haven't paid too much. I can make out a few signatures from the photos including Ricky Barham, Shane Kerrison, Mark McKeon?, Neville Shaw and Peter Bradbury. Any help with more names is appreciated. $_20.JPG

OK, you guys have now peaked my interest enough that I just bought a copy off Gumtree. It's a hardcover edition supposedly in very good condition and with signatures from many of the players of the day. I paid $150 including postage from Perth. Hopefully I haven't paid too much. I can make out a few signatures from the photos including Ricky Barham, Shane Kerrison, Mark McKeon?, Neville Shaw and Peter Bradbury. Any help with more names is appreciated.View attachment 582456

Chopper Handley, Choco Williams and Tony Shaw are there.

OK, you guys have now peaked my interest enough that I just bought a copy off Gumtree. It's a hardcover edition supposedly in very good condition and with signatures from many of the players of the day. I paid $150 including postage from Perth. Hopefully I haven't paid too much. I can make out a few signatures from the photos including Ricky Barham, Shane Kerrison, Mark McKeon?, Neville Shaw and Peter Bradbury. Any help with more names is appreciated.View attachment 582456

May also be Mark Richardson and is that BT ?

Also looks very much like the great mans signature about 2/3 of the way down the page on the left hand side.

I buy a lot of 2nd hand books and generally use AbeBooks. They have a hard cover version of dubious quality listed at US$136 and a paperback version at US$149 and another HC version at US$151. Throw in the signatures and I think you've got a bargain.

Good luck working out who's who.

Darren Handley, Darren Collins, Shane Kerrison, Tony Shaw, Cameron Doyle, Ronnie McKeown, Neil Brindley, Matt Ryan, Russell Dickson, Brian Taylor, Mark William, Mark Beers (?) Tim Lord, Mark McKeon, Neville Shaw, Peter Bradbury, Ricky Barham, Michael Taylor, Mark Richardson, Michael Gayfer, Mick Edmonds to name a few

Darren Handley, Darren Collins, Shane Kerrison, Tony Shaw, Cameron Doyle, Ronnie McKeown, Neil Brindley, Matt Ryan, Russell Dickson, Brian Taylor, Mark William, Mark Beers (?) Tim Lord, Mark McKeon, Neville Shaw, Peter Bradbury, Ricky Barham, Michael Taylor, Mark Richardson, Michael Gayfer, Mick Edmonds to name a few
Tim Lord is a bit lucky to be in that sort of company, as he only played the one night series/cup game for us! That was in 1986, and it must have been during that season when the players signed the book. Then again, the likes of Brindley and Doyle weren't big names either!

Mark Richardson would have been just 13 at the time, so perhaps it was Mike/Michael Richardson instead? He was with us in the early weeks of that year, before heading to Essendon (following Geoff Raines).

I'm pretty sure it's Neville Muir half way down on the left hand page. He never managed a senior game for the club, but was a ruckman in the Reserves at the time.

Last edited:
It's quite interesting the prejudices that caused us being so hated. It surprises me that the hatred has persisted but no one remembers why they started hating us in the first place. Because we were poor, because many were Catholic (though not all), and because we fought against conscription which took more kids from poor neighbourhoods like ours than the surrounding rich neighbourhoods. And because despite being poor we started beating everyone on the field. The hatred has become habitual and no one knows why. I'm proud of our history.
Being poor and at one stage almost unbeatable earned their hatred more than anything else.

That and daring to stick our heads up and look the f@ckers in the eye.

excellent value at $150.00

Bargain!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that Daics’ Under Ronnie McKeown? Also Denis Banks at the bottom? Had his signature as a youngster and seem to remember. Just realised SOTY said same with Daics

Great get! Looks like the late great Darren Millane in the Collingwood wording plus Ricky Barham next to him going downwards

Another of the "lesser lights" that appears to be there is Brendan Budge (left side of right hand page). He played just 2 "night series" games for us in 1986, but never played league football. It looks like he went on to make the Camberwell Team of the Century. Another "obscure" type is Jim (James) Stevenson - his signature starts just under the 'C' in Collingwood, and goes down the page. He won the Gardiner Medal (VFL Reserves B&F) in 1984 playing for Footscray, yet never played a League game, only the one "night series" game for the Bulldogs in 1985.

It's pretty definitely Wes Fellowes at the top left of the right page, and I think Greg Phillips down the left hand side of that same page. I think it might be Tony Burgess just to his right (a couple of names up from Peter Bradbury), and maybe Ian McMullin at the bottom left of the page.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the input. I can't wait to get it in the mail. It did look like a bargain to me given the stated condition and the fact that it had those signatures. I'm looking forward to sitting down with a 2016 team sheet and see whether I can work most of them out.
Here's the Reserves team squad from the 1986 Rd. 20 Football Record - there's a few names there who most likely wouldn't have been on the "senior list" at that time:
upload_2018-11-9_9-24-53.png
Good luck, and enjoy the book!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back