Richmond 2017-20 v Hawthorn 2012-15

Which side was stronger and had the better period of dominance?

• Total voters
Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
It’s a funny argument put by some that Richmond beat nobody in their run of flags. If the tigers didn’t beat Geelong in each of those years the cats would have most likely taken another couple of flags and been thought of as arguably the greatest side of all time. Richmond beat them consistently (in finals) yet get little credit for it.

History may have also remembered a couple of the other sides from the era more fondly if they weren’t beaten by very strong Richmond and Geelong sides when it mattered.

As a tiger fan who lived through 3 decades of irrelevance before the recent success, I’m very happy to even be in the conversation about comparing dynasties. Goes without saying that I’d to see us pinch another one to strengthen the Richmond argument further.
No, we wouldn’t have. Each of those seasons we got beaten up easily by another top four side.. you act like we were some unstoppable juggernaut that only Richmond haulted. This is just garbage. We were an ok-good team with plenty of flaws that got exposed in finals by Richmond and also others

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
The one where he said “you can’t compare eras” and that “footy has improved”?

But if you are happy to take everything Matthews says as gospel, even if you misunderstand it, his subsequent statement that Geelong is the champion team of the century must also be true to you?

Jesus you are deaf too. People reading this, please look at the video yourself. He’s lying. It’s actually quite pathetic.

He said yeah I’d back Richmond to beat hawthorn. We undoubtedly beat previous generations.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
I think Hawthorn get the edge because of their physicality. Both Sydney 2014 and WCE 2015 had a few moments where they were seriously looking over their shoulders, so I think they might have been able to bang some Richmond bodies and put them off their natural stregnths.
If im answering the thread title question honestly - then id give the nod to the Tigers

Richmond supporters - alot of them are full of nonsense conspiracy theories - thus Cats supporters now despise the Tiges more than the Hawks - so in this thread they will vote for The Hawks - hah

Richmond brought one thing to the table - which alot of clubs couldnt handle - PRESSURE - at speed and great pace

Hawthorn loved the precision kicking - especially in the backline - 5 or 6 little kicks - Gibson - Hodge - Mitchell -Burgoyne . Richmonds pressure and inferred pressure - might have put - would have put Hawthorns short kicking - possession game right under the pump

Funny thing with the Tigers - i thought their best year - and right at their dominant peak -was 2018( and they didnt have Lynch ) - even though they didnt win the flag - i base that on when they played Geel late in the year - the game where Ablett could have pinched it at the end - Tigers should have won that game by about 12 goals - they were super impressive - Cats struggled big time to get possession of the ball

So id vote Richmond - however to keep things in perspective - their current era although very good - just pales - or runs a very distant 2nd to their great era of the late 60s early 70s - where they had a genuine bona fide Champion side - a feared side - who would slaughter opposition teams - back then - no one wanted to play Richmond im telling you

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Hf: castagna, riewoldt, the s**t rioli who almost got delisted playing forward
Ff: butler, townsend, caddy
Vs hf: Breust, Franklin, the good rioli
Ff: puopolo, roughead, gunston

Not much more needs to be said really

Except you left out Dusty, Edwards, Lynch, Bolton and the rest of the team 🤣

Make sure you let Lethal and Chris Scott know, they clearly didn’t get the memo. Pfffff hahahah

Last edited:

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Except you left out Dusty, Edwards, Lynch, Bolton and the rest of the team 🤣

Make sure you let Lethal and Chris Scott know, they clearly didn’t get the memo. Pfffff hahahah

Didn’t know richmond played 10 forwards? Would’ve left you a little bare on the rest of the field. Even with those blokes your forwardline doesn’t get anywhere near hawthorns

Danw0w

Cancelled
Footy Club Survivor 1: Adelaide Voter
Feb 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
No, we wouldn’t have. Each of those seasons we got beaten up easily by another top four side.. you act like we were some unstoppable juggernaut that only Richmond haulted. This is just garbage. We were an ok-good team with plenty of flaws that got exposed in finals by Richmond and also others
Lol, one of them was literally a grand final and the other one would have been against an exhausted GWS side.

Thats back to back right there.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Didn’t know richmond played 10 forwards? Would’ve left you a little bare on the rest of the field. Even with those blokes your forwardline doesn’t get anywhere near hawthorns

You don’t compare fwd line v fwd line to determine scoring power.

You do each teams fwd line vs each teams backline.

Our backline is so much better than hawthorns it’s not funny. Rance had a positive win rate against Buddy so he’s no good either.

Dusty, Riewoldt, Lynch, Bolton, Edwards, Rioli would massacre the hawks backline and it’s not close. We did it before with Ty Vickery Cmon, be serious here 🤣🤣🤣

JR82

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
hate them all
Richmond's gameplan could be picked apart by good foot skills. A 2013 to 2015 Hawthorn team would have destroyed them as they would have picked apart Richmond and Richmond would not have been able to force that many turnovers.
Richmond 13-15 were a middle of the road side & had little trouble with the 3peat Hawks (we got them by 10 goals in '12 as well). The roles were revered during 17-20 & Hawks couldn't get near us (aside from once in early '20)...

White Dogg

Senior List
Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Richmond 13-15 were a middle of the road side & had little trouble with the 3peat Hawks (we got them by 10 goals in '12 as well). The roles were revered during 17-20 & Hawks couldn't get near us (aside from once in early '20)...
Port had Hawthorn's measure during 2012-15 as well, and were unlucky to have not beaten them in the 2014 preliminary final.

Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Helsingborg Australian FC
I can’t help you understand what Chris Scott said any better than others have tried.

And you’ll have to help me with Leigh Matthews, I know he said (this year, before the flag) that Geelong are the champion club of the century but where did he say that Richmond are better than Hawthorn?
Really who cares what old Ex-players intellectuals, BF polls say? Each to his own, and useless to argue. The argument winner would be Premierships (3 each) and win-loss record % for those 4 years.

I think if the North Melbourne of 2022 would beat Hawthorn 2015 and Richmond 2017. Maybe not by much but skills and fitness keeps getting better…

Smedts_2

Club Legend
Apr 23, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Really who cares what old Ex-players intellectuals, BF polls say? Each to his own, and useless to argue. The argument winner would be Premierships (3 each) and win-loss record % for those 4 years.

I think if the North Melbourne of 2022 would beat Hawthorn 2015 and Richmond 2017. Maybe not by much but skills and fitness keeps getting better…

100%.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

JR82

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
hate them all
Port had Hawthorn's measure during 2012-15 as well, and were unlucky to have not beaten them in the 2014 preliminary final.
I think from memory Port along with us had the best record v Hawks during that time. I counted '12 in my post as they made the GF that yr & really should have won it. If only they'd kicked str8 that day...

banzai

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Richmond won their premierships in a really weak era. It is why the teams they played in their Grand Finals were up for a season or two at most. They (GWS, Adelaide etc) were not up there because they were good, they were up there because the previous heavyweight teams (Hawthorn, Geelong, Sydney and Fremantle) were all in decline.

But when Hawthorn won their flags a much poorer version of the Richmond premiership teams went 15-7 twice. Surely the comp couldnt have been too strong if we were winning that many games with Vickery and co?

Back