Richmond 2017-20 v Hawthorn 2012-15

Which side was stronger and had the better period of dominance?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry for delayed response. I agree 100%. It is a trade off of quality compromise in the short and medium term for long term return (20+ years).

I can see alot more creative recruitment with higher risks and left-field selections such as mark blicavs and irish boys, as well as other athlete cross overs.
As above the media don't tend to look past tomorrow when judging something for their click bait contest. There's good & bad to expansion. Guys like Naitanui were found by the AFL recruiters, who else is out there?

I can't believe people rate Richmond 2017-20 higher than Hawthorn 2012-15, just because Richmond beat Hawthorn multiple times from 2012-15.

Carlton beat us multiple times from 2007-2011 and were a kick on the siren away from beating us in 2011, does that mean Carlton were a better team than us?

'People', being Richmond supporters.

So they don't really count....
West Coast regularly beat Brisbane during the Lions 2001-04 era, so using Richmond logic that means West Coast's 2006 premiership team was a stronger team than the 2001-04 Lions.

I've never seen anyone try and argue that West Coast 2006 was a stronger team though.

I can't believe people rate Richmond 2017-20 higher than Hawthorn 2012-15, just because Richmond beat Hawthorn multiple times from 2012-15.

Carlton beat us multiple times from 2007-2011 and were a kick on the siren away from beating us in 2011, does that mean Carlton were a better team than us?
I can't believe Geelong fans are still obsessed with this topic.

Ppl can knock '20 all they like, everyone was invested in that season it seems up until they realised their own team wasn't going to win the Flag. Port fans are still spewing over losing that Prelim to us.

Carlton didn't go on to win 3 flags of their own bruv.

Ppl can knock '20 all they like, everyone was invested in that season it seems up until they realised their own team wasn't going to win the Flag. Port fans are still spewing over losing that Prelim to us.
And despite Port fans wanting to sack their coach after the game, they are still far less bitter and obsessed than a lot of Geelong fans. It's astonishing.

Buddy.. Look at the poll results and just accept reality look a big ol sour pill.. Nobody rates youe flag team as one of the greats. You will never be thought of like geelong brisbane hawks teams.

Live with it champ. Move on

Buddy.. Look at the poll results and just accept reality look a big ol sour pill.. Nobody rates youe flag team as one of the greats. You will never be thought of like geelong brisbane hawks teams.

Live with it champ. Move on
Perhaps if your own fans quit obsessing over us perhaps then we'd have nothing to reply to... 1. This thread has nothing to do with Geelong, 2. this thread was started by a Geelong fan. Not hard to understand is it... champ!

Clarkson treated Indigenous players racially in that era.
This is the only legitimate point in favour of the Tiges actually. That said, I think an AFL investigation has to happen pronto to stamp this s**t out league wide (or at least put things in place to make sure it’s dealt with and stopped when it happens).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps if your own fans quit obsessing over us perhaps then we'd have nothing to reply to... 1. This thread has nothing to do with Geelong, 2. this thread was started by a Geelong fan. Not hard to understand is it... champ!
There are 142 votes against richmond and 82% saying no, with heaps of fans from all clubs clearly saying in the votes and thread verbally that they rate richmond far below. You guys will never be seen up there with the greats.. The public has spoken. Simples

2012 Hawthorn suprisingly lost the gf to Sydney
2013 Hawthorn prevailed in a choke-a-thon against Freo. Freo really did blow a golden opportunity.
2014 Hawthorn smashed Sydney after struggling with key injuries all season. The pick of their flags in that period.
2015 Hawthorn smashed an inept and poor West Coast.

2017 Richmond impressive win against Adelaide who didn't seem to show up for the day. The best of their 3 flags I think. Much more even, 2020 was one player.
2018 Blew it
2019 Richmond a GWS who had stage fright
2020 Richmond Dustied a Geelong side who were on top deep in the 2nd term.

For me, 2014 gives it to Hawthorn for me. It was just an overall impressive season. I really did enjoy watching that 2017 gf though.

2012 Hawthorn suprisingly lost the gf to Sydney
2013 Hawthorn prevailed in a choke-a-thon against Freo. Freo really did blow a golden opportunity.
2014 Hawthorn smashed Sydney after struggling with key injuries all season. The pick of their flags in that period.
2015 Hawthorn smashed an inept and poor West Coast.

2017 Richmond impressive win against Adelaide who didn't seem to show up for the day. The best of their 3 flags I think. Much more even, 2020 was one player.
2018 Blew it
2019 Richmond a GWS who had stage fright
2020 Richmond Dustied a Geelong side who were on top deep in the 2nd term.

For me, 2014 gives it to Hawthorn for me. It was just an overall impressive season. I really did enjoy watching that 2017 gf though.
I still cry when I think of 2014. My dvd is almost broken too

There are 142 votes against richmond and 82% saying no, with heaps of fans from all clubs clearly saying in the votes and thread verbally that they rate richmond far below. You guys will never be seen up there with the greats.. The public has spoken. Simples
175 votes in total is not "the public has spoken". A small village has more ppl in the community than that!

And as is the case with all Richmond threads, 95% of those voting for Richmond are....... Richmond supporters.

And as is the case with all Richmond threads, 95% of those voting for Richmond are....... Richmond supporters.
You can tell they feel very slighted by the general consensus about their flag era. They want to be seen as thr best of everything.. Best team.. Best coach.. Dusty is the GOAT.. And nobody outside of richmond agrees and laughs it all off.

It just is not up there with other eras goneby.

I said Hawthorn because they did it 3 times in a row.

But other than that I think it's fairly even. Hawthorn probably had more star power but Richmonds system took teams apart with players that probably weren't rated that highly.

Last edited:
Irrelevant to the assessment.

Yeah, nah...

How is it irrelevant?

Hawthorn were the better dynasty. Richmond couldn't do it 3 times in a row and hawthorn could. If you didn't support either team in 10 years I bet you a lot more people could tell you who played in the Hawthorn permierships than who played in the Richmond ones.

Hawthorn had more starpower than Richmond.
Richmond were a team of good players playing a great system where Hawthorn were a team of crazy great players that got the job done consistently. That is why I put that part as even. I think Hardwick achieved more with less. Where if Hawthorn didn't win at least 2 flags with his playing group you would have said he underachieved.

Personally I loved that we won 3 in 4 but the Richmond dynasty doesn't feel the same as the Hawthorn one, the Hawthorn one was just complete domination were Richmonds best year was 2018 and they were unable to win the flag that year.

That being said. The Lions 3 peat is better than both put together.

P.s. I'm not interested in this Richmond/Geelong rivalry that has taken BigFooty by storm. I respect Geelong for the consistency they've had over the years. So miss me with that Geelong vs Richmond bs.

Last edited:
How is it irrelevant?

Hawthorn were the better dynasty. Richmond couldn't do it 3 times in a row and hawthorn could. If you didn't support either team in 10 years I bet you a lot more people could tell you who played in the Hawthorn permierships than who played in the Richmond ones.

Hawthorn had more starpower than Richmond.
Richmond were a team of good players playing a great system where Hawthorn were a team of crazy great players that got the job done consistently. That is why I put that part as even. I think Hardwick achieved more with less. Where if Hawthorn didn't win at least 2 flags with his playing group you would have said he underachieved.

Personally I loved that we won 3 in 4 but the Richmond dynasty doesn't feel the same as the Hawthorn one, the Hawthorn one was just complete domination were Richmonds best year was 2018 and they were unable to win the flag that year.

That being said. The Lions 3 peat is better than both put together.

P.s. I'm not interested in this Richmond/Geelong rivalry that has taken BigFooty by storm. I respect Geelong for the consistency they've had over the years. So miss me with that Geelong vs Richmond bs.
This has all been done to death in other threads.

Back