Votes: 33 14.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
How would Richmond fare against the great Brisbane Side of 2001-2004, The Cats of 2007-11 and the Hawks of 2012-15?

Richmond are equally as good imo. Especially in the modern era where it's harder and harder to remain at the top and especially with what's transpired in 2020 and being on the road for 100+ days

Rank the order you believe who's the best and how would they fare against one another?

Tiger Army have to be considered as one of the greats in VFL/AFL era now reaching 3 of the last 4 Grand Finals winning 2 already and a possible 3rd.

Brisbane Lions -

1999 - Prelim
2000 - semis
2001-04 - 4 straight Grand Finals

Geelong 2007, 08, 09 featured in 3 straight Grand Finals winning 2. One loss all year in the home and away season in 08 but lost famously to the Hawks
2010-11 Prelim and then another flag.

Hawthorn

2012-2015 - 4 straight GF's winning 3
2011 - prelim loss to the Hawks
2016 - semi finals

Richmond

2017 - Winners
2018 - topped the ladder lost in Prelims
2019 - Winners
2020 - Grand Final appearance and a possible flag

Last edited:
I am being a bit optimistic, but....I would love to see our twin Irish imports become a success story, the two Connors (Nash, Glass)... and see that become a story.

The other is Roughie has a rejuvenation and big impact.... and people start to realise just how hard his cancer recovery had hit him.

Things I can't wait to see in 2019 in no order
  • Geelong and Collingwood on the first Friday night of the season. Pies will be keen and are an amazing pressure team. Finals like atmosphere in Rd 1, will Geelong fall apart or have they actually improved this preseason.
  • How the top 10 from this years draft go. Walsh you assume would debut, good early wraps on some of the others.
  • How popular players have left their club go against their old teams i.e Lynch v GCS, Beams v Brissie etc.
  • Rd 3 Grand Final rematch
  • Gaffs Western Derby return and the reception he gets.

Actually keen on Mummy's return from round three. In our scratch match he was doing something he hasn't really done since 2015, ie jump.

I'm fascinated to see how the Demons go early on. Huge expectation on them this year. I haven't got a knock on them, but they will be under a lot of scrutiny. My guess is they'll come out firing, they crossed a line in that H/A win against the Eagles in Perth I think.

The three best sides last year will be interesting, history suggests at least one of the Eagles, Tigers and Pies will have a poor start. It'd be a guess to suggest which one.

We have two early games in round 1 and round 3 at Spotless thus year, yaaayyy. Waiting till round 5 or 6 is the norm for us . Just hope Olympic Park is ok to negotiate during the Easter Show construction and the excellent surface at Spotless is up to scratch. I expect it'll be dug up and replaced only after the show.

Last edited:
Story lines? All we're getting now is the usual who's sleeping with who, a drug related story, racism hysteria, AFLX folly, the improvement in skills in women's footy and the knowledge that Fev will co - host the Footy Show! All we really want to hear about is how our teams are going with their preparations, so all of this other nonsense can be erased from memory! The problem with that is there simply isn't that much pertinent AFL footy news to fill the time! The fault lies with the internet as a new form of "journalism" was birthed in the foggy moor between facts and opinion, one that required zero ethics or experience. We call such journalists BLOGGERS, and along with PODCASTS, they ruined everything. Quantity has become more important than quality, and the public have become less and less trustful of once-respected sources. What is Grant Thomas really trying to achieve? Our other problem is and it's kinda strange that I even have to say this, but social media isn't the news! We have 24 more days where most of the footy news we'll get is pretty much a perpetual self-parody. Why? Because we're going to hear about a lot of footy stories in the next three weeks. And almost every single one of them will be bullshit.

Tiger Army have to be considered as one of the greats in VFL/AFL era now reaching 3 of the last 4 Grand Finals winning 2 already and a possible 3rd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the case of the cats it’s 10 years too early. 15 years of excellence by cats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How would Richmond fare against the great Brisbane Side of 2001-2004, The Cats of 2007-11 and the Hawks of 2012-15?

Richmond are equally as good imo. Especially in the modern era where it's harder and harder to remain at the top and especially with what's transpired in 2020 and being on the road for 100+ days

Rank the order you believe who's the best and how would they fare against one another?

Brisbane Lions -

1999 - Prelim
2000 - semis
2001-04 - 4 straight Grand Finals

Geelong 2007, 08, 09 featured in 3 straight Grand Finals winning 2. One loss all year in the home and away season in 08 but lost famously to the Hawks
2010-11 Prelim and then another flag.

Hawthorn

2012-2015 - 4 straight GF's winning 3
2011 - prelim loss to the Hawks
2016 - semi finals

Richmond

2017 - Winners
2018 - topped the ladder lost in Prelims
2019 - Winners
2020 - Grand Final appearance and a possible flag
Funny after we won in 2017 there were threads placing us top as worst premier ever and here we are getting compared with the greats of the modern era.

This isn't a discussion until Richmond snag a third premiership. Can't go ranking the Tigers alongside these teams yet.

Tigers are a great side, but the Lions, Hawks and Cats eras were all more impressive and had more of a sustained aura. Tiges are more akin to the multiple-premiers of the 90s (Kangas, Eagles, Crows).

How is it against all odds? I think majority of people thought Richmond would win yesterday.
Can only win at the G,can only win in front of a big Tiger army,can only win against interstate sides.
And all the incidents which were overblown by the media this year.

Geelong were the strongest side
Brisbane's 3 gf wins were the most impressive (interstate team beating 2 Melbourne sides, albeit one was Collingwood)

Richmond and Hawthorn around equal atm for me.

Back