Club Focus Richmond 2021 - Tarrant, Gibcus, Brown, Sonsie, Banks, Clarke

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

5 picks in the top 30 is an amazing hand for anyone, let alone a team one year off 3 flags in 4 years.

Bastards
Currently 5 list spots to fill accounting for 2 rookies to be upgraded after the draft allowing us to re-rookie Nyuon and Cumberland, the Tigers have a liking for the SSP and MSD having picked up Stack, Pickett and Parker recently so I'd assume they'll leave 1 spot for those drafts. Means that they'll either bundle a 2 for 1 deal this year or 1 of our 2nds this year and a F2 for a future 1st next year. I would think that we'll leave our powder dry until draft night where we'll light the fuse. Could see us with 7-8 picks inside 27 over 2 years which, to me, puts us in an extremely healthy position to replenish our list.

We do have some glaring holes which I'd expect to be filled with those picks as well as addressing the need to cover the aging blokes who could well be gone after 2 years, currently we're shallow in the KPP's and inside ball winning mids, a bit of outside run on the wings wouldn't harm either. Hobbs looks like a natural fit as well as getting a couple of years development before Cotch retires, so he'd be a good get at pick 7. We could go a KPP at pick 15 with someone like JVR although Mitchito Owens could be on our radar there. the other 2 early 2nds we'll be looking for a slider which is highly probable given the lack of exposure. Next year looks like the year to target KPP's with hopefully 2 x 1sts and an early 2nd (North)

Last edited:
5 picks in the top 30 is an amazing hand for anyone, let alone a team one year off 3 flags in 4 years.

Bastards
It's a great hand and in the circumstances the best of a bad situation. But to be fair I don't think we expected to bomb so hard this year, so its still a bitter-sweet outcome to a year we'd rather have no have had.

I expect a further trade up or trade out into next year somewhere though, I think there's a bigger plan with those picks outside 7 and 15.

It's a great hand and in the circumstances the best of a bad situation. But to be fair I don't think we expected to bomb so hard this year, so its still a bitter-sweet outcome to a year we'd rather have no have had.

I expect a further trade up or trade out into next year somewhere though, I think there's a bigger plan with those picks outside 7 and 15.
I'd say you might get pick 9 from the saints who were reportedly interested in more picks this year. Perhaps 15 and 26, 27 for 9, giving the tigers 7, 9, 28. That's a good hand to have.

I'd say you might get pick 9 from the saints who were reportedly interested in more picks this year. Perhaps 15 and 26, 27 for 9, giving the tigers 7, 9, 28. That's a good hand to have.
This is about right in terms of valuation, not sure why you were downvoted.

Probably by some guy who thinks 26 + 27 + 28 = pick 2

That's overs. We won't give 15, 26 AND 27 for 9.

That's overs. We won't give 15, 26 AND 27 for 9.
26, 27, 28 all have little trade value you need to understand.

They are nice spots to pick from, but it's BECAUSE there's usually a few decent players/sliders around that range, AND due to the fact that these picks weren't that valuable to begin with.

They are nice spots to pick from, but it's BECAUSE there's usually a few decent players/sliders around that range, AND due to the fact that these picks weren't that valuable to begin with.

Id hate that deal. Given the draft is fairly even a 6 spot upgrade doesn’t equal 26 and 27 in my opinion.

This draft is supposedly very even to pick thirty or so. So yes there will be some very decent sliders at that range that some clubs will no doubt rate far higher than the mid 20s. Assuming we don't use our picks (which is entirely legitimate option as we have the list spaces to do it) with three picks in a row if any clubs want any of them they'll have to come to us and offer a deal to our advantage. The club has already talked about the importance of setting up for next years draft as well, and we already have North's pick two. It's not just about this year.

Just saying, I understand that opposition supporters hate that we have so many first and second rounders in the top 30, but I don't think we have gone to such trouble to get in this position, in an even draft, to just blow our wad on a pick that after father sons won't even be in the top ten. Not for that deal.

Agree. They got that pick off the pies for the flexibility of being able to pick three in a row before the quality dissipated from the draft. No intent on trading these picks.

This is about right in terms of valuation, not sure why you were downvoted.

Probably by some guy who thinks 26 + 27 + 28 = pick 2
You get 3 quality players usually with picks 26,27,28. You get one player with pick 2 which becomes pick 4 after the father and sons get taken.
So basically pick 2= Callahan vs picks 26,27,28.
Not worth the risk unless its for Horne, Daicos or Darcy imo.

You get 3 quality players usually with picks 26,27,28. You get one player with pick 2 which becomes pick 4 after the father and sons get taken.
So basically pick 2= Callahan vs picks 26,27,28.
Not worth the risk unless its for Horne, Daicos or Darcy imo.
The idea is solid. And fwiw I think North should’ve taken the 3 first round picks for pick 1, even if they need to give a future 2nd back.

HOWEVER, pick 26, 27, 28 are just too far away from pick 2. The value is just too far apart for them to even consider it.

Plus it seems like pick 2 will be used on Callaghan. With Horne and Daicos being tier 1a, him along Darcy is tier 1b. So he absolutely is in that top group, which is why I suspect Richmond wants pick 2 in the first place...

The idea is solid. And fwiw I think North should’ve taken the 3 first round picks for pick 1, even if they need to give a future 2nd back.

HOWEVER, pick 26, 27, 28 are just too far away from pick 2. The value is just too far apart for them to even consider it.

Plus it seems like pick 2 will be used on Callaghan. With Horne and Daicos being tier 1a, him along Darcy is tier 1b. So he absolutely is in that top group, which is why I suspect Richmond wants pick 2 in the first place...
It does depend on the tiers like you say.
Pick 1 this year is worth more than pick 1 if that makes sense.
Having said that ,this draft goes pretty deep to pick 40 odd according to most.
There will be clubs that nail a great player in the second round or third round imo.
This draft was always called a super draft until covid reduced player exposure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With that being said, I don't think GWS needs Callaghan given their 92 1st round midfield draftees, think they are much better off with some talented key position players.

On the other hand, Callaghan really is that perfect center piece midfielder who is perfect for Richmond's list with their greatest weakness being their midfield

What I would do:

Pick 2 + future 2nd (GWS) for Pick 7 + Pick 15 + future 1st (Richmond)

GWS takes Mac Andrew at Pick 7 (Ruck/KPF), Josh Gibcus (KPD) at Pick 13 and Leek Alleer at Pick 15 (KPD).

Richmond takes Finn Callaghan at Pick 2, as well as another 3 picks back to back to back in the 2nd round.

Meh, he can sit on the sidelines for the rest of his contract for all I care. Netted us 2 flags which we definitely wouldn't have without him, so he's already paid for his contract.
100%. Only win one without him. Lots of clubs would overpay one player for a couple of years to win two flags.

With that being said, I don't think GWS needs Callaghan given their 92 1st round midfield draftees, think they are much better off with some talented key position players.

On the other hand, Callaghan really is that perfect center piece midfielder who is perfect for Richmond's list with their greatest weakness being their midfield

What I would do:

GWS takes Mac Andrew at Pick 7 (Ruck/KPF), Josh Gibcus (KPD) at Pick 13 and Leek Alleer at Pick 15 (KPD).

Richmond takes Finn Callaghan at Pick 2, as well as another 3 picks back to back to back in the 2nd round.

Again this is overs. You’re effectively giving 3 firsts for Callaghan. I’d be more interested in paying less to move up to Hobbs.

Fair enough, but in this draft and with the number of picks you have, a move up to 9 would be better than 15 and a couple of l20s IMO.

I agree. I would do that trade. Much greater chance of picking very good players at 7 and 9 rather than picks in the 20's.

Now having said that, there will be sliders in this years draft. There will be kids picked in the 20's who with more development and football (which they have missed out on for a couple of years now) should be a lot higher than where picked in the draft. The Vic kids have missed a lot of development and kids can come on quickly as they mature into their late teens / early 20's.

So clubs will either:

- get very lucky with their picks given there is very little disclosed form to pick from
- have unbelievably excellent talent spotters who can predict how the kids will develop as they start to train and play at AFL level (with 2 years of development taken from them).

I'm hoping the Tiges will get lucky with a couple of their 20's picks. But taking 7 & 9 into this draft would be a fantastic result if it was at all achievable (which I personally doubt it is).

There is no need for Richmond to do anything other than wait for their picks and take the players they rate in the draft.

They are perfectly placed especially in this draft

They have 7, 15, and the three in a row 26/27/28

One of those picks may end up being traded for a F2nd in 2022

Regardless Richmond will end up with 3 1st rounds and 5 2nd rounds in 2021/22

Yep.I think Callahan is our main target.
Think the offer to North was just a suttle message to GWS.

What I would do:

Geez Callaghan maybe good but not 3 first rnd picks good.lol

What I would do:

IMO that's putting too many eggs in one basket. I don't think Callaghan (the 4th best kid?) + maybe pick 28 next year is worth 7, 17, and next year's 1st pick, call it 14 for example.

That's overs for an untried kid who is probably the 3rd/4th best talent, established stars in the AFL wouldn't necessarily draw that deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back