Club Focus Richmond 2021 - Tarrant, Gibcus, Brown, Sonsie, Banks, Clarke

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

And yeah i agree, any draftee can make it, and who knows you might have 5x all australian players on your hands.

The problem is the aforementioned possibility is small, and if you select a mediocre player in a position of need, you can probably still call that a worthwhile selection. But the recent strategy Richmond adopted is high risk since from a list management perspective your biggest weakness is still your biggest weakness, which is really just unnecssary given how many strong selections were available at any of your 5 picks.

Also seeing how defensive some Richmond supporters are without raising a single valid point is quite entertaining which makes me worry for them...
LoL

As time goes by I find our draft haul quite interesting.

Tarrant - great pick up. Cheap high grade and timing is perfect. Maybe allow us a shot at the title again.

Gibcus is obvious - best player and one who can be a cornerstone of the team for a decade.

Brown - picked where clubs were after him. His skill set is almost a replacement for Bachar/Vlas. Rioli replaces Bachar, and maybe they are looking to fill the big shoes of Vlas with Brown. Interesting in that the club obviously sees intercept marking and attacking skill as very very important. But, didn't get one of the mids available.

Sonsie - Huge slider, obvious pick. If he can get to his ceiling he'll be an A grade inside outside mid. On talent worthy of a top 5 pick.

Banks - great leadership, athleticism and skills. Capability to go into the midfield - but relatively unproven against the best juniors due to injury. With his attitude, physical ability and skills he could be a steal and likely will do as much as he can to play AFL. Club is looking at upside and culture. The RFC has an attitude of picking players for what they can do and not what they can't. This looks a like a pure pick aiming for what he can be, as he wasn't able to show that this year. in some ways the guy that excites me the most.

Clarke - fast, skilled small forward. An area we need working to win premierships. Probably picked to fill the Lambert sized hole in our future. He's training with Lambo and couldn't have anyone better to learn from.

As a package, athleticism and skill the focus. Picking the goys that dropped.

Unstated in the picks is that they think the young mids on the list (Bolton, RCD, Graham, Dow, Martyn, Stack(?)) can form the basis of a good AFL quality group. What is needed is speed and skill. So glass half full and glass half empty on our current young players.

Also that they tried to move heaven and earth to get Hobbs is interesting. Obviously the club doesn't rate our future inside mids as top shelf, and they do rate Hobbs as that good inside. But, that once past him they didn't see anyone worth going hard for with that particular skill set.

We filled future needs and only picked players we thought had top end potential. So didn't go for KPFs just because we've lost 2 this year. JR might play on for longer to fill the hole created by CCJ and Chol leaving. In the long run I think this is way to do it. But in the short run the club might end up with a dysfunctional forward line for a year or 2. Might still be shopping for an A grade inside mid as well. But this was a draft to rebuild the team for 5 years from now, and it did that in the context of who we already have.

And yeah i agree, any draftee can make it, and who knows you might have 5x all australian players on your hands.

The problem is the aforementioned possibility is small, and if you select a mediocre player in a position of need, you can probably still call that a worthwhile selection. But the recent strategy Richmond adopted is high risk since from a list management perspective your biggest weakness is still your biggest weakness, which is really just unnecssary given how many strong selections were available at any of your 5 picks.

Also seeing how defensive some Richmond supporters are without raising a single valid point is quite entertaining which makes me worry for them...
No need to worry about us poor tiger folk, we have 3 in the back pocket over the last 5 years. I’d be more worried about your pies 2 in 60.

Yes I have watched almost every game RCD plays.

RCD has limitations, but has enough tools to become a B grade midfielder.

And after watching the rest of your midfielders (excluding Bolton, who I have stated multiple times if already one of the most effective mid/fwds in the comp), if you are relying on the likes of Ross, Dow, Graham, Stack in any capacity, let alone letting them be your primarym midfield rotation, then you are in BIG trouble

I was referring to the new draftees of which you said was a horrible drafty period.

Also seeing how defensive some Richmond supporters are without raising a single valid point is quite entertaining which makes me worry for them

I am sure they will lose plenty of sleep over your worry haha.

Clearly the club rates its midfield enough not to have loaded up this year. Maybe they have something in the works next year? I think the RFC have shown the last few years that they have some idea of list building.

Am surprised Richmond didn’t grab a mature midfielder in the trade period. If Prestia has another injury impacted year and Cotchin continues his decline it’s hard to see how they compete with the best midfields in the comp even if Bolton and Martin have strong seasons.

Am surprised Richmond didn’t grab a mature midfielder in the trade period. If Prestia has another injury impacted year and Cotchin continues his decline it’s hard to see how they compete with the best midfields in the comp even if Bolton and Martin have strong seasons.

We looked at the mature mids. But the cost was too much.

Basically why the Hawks fire sale didn't sell.

This year salary caps are tight and teams want more for their players than what they are worth to other teams.

We looked at the mature mids. But the cost was too much.

Basically why the Hawks fire sale didn't sell.

This year salary caps are tight and teams want more for their players than what they are worth to other teams.

I think Dumont would make sense still. RCD, Ross, Stack could all turn out to be below AFL standard

I think Dumont would make sense still. RCD, Ross, Stack could all turn out to be below AFL standard

They could, but you cant load up every year expecting current players to fail. You have to back them in at some point.

Yeah. But there is more than enough talent to be a decent AFL midfield there.

Thing is, of the guys yet to show they are regular AFL quality, there have been really good looks at AFL capability. RCD needs fitness, Ross needs consistency, Stack needs to get his head in the game, Dow needs experience/games. SO I can see why the club felt that it was better to trust our development than trade/FA.

Richmond is also extremely strategic about trade/FA. The likelihood is we have an A grade type in the sights and want $ available. Over the next few years our salary cap frees up. So there is a real cost to bringing in a mature mid this year, beyond the immediate cost.

To some extent the club decided to go with the risk that these guys don't step up, to allow us to have future freedom.

That’s fair it’s just RCD and Stack seem very boom or bust options to me. If they fall into the bust category Tigers midfield looks very thin.

Agreed, but if they can make it, they setup our midfield for 10 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it’s fair criticism of him but he’s still better and more reliable then the Richmond players I’ve mentioned. Obviously without any of the upside.
Yeah, I'm just not seeing it. Dumont's definitely had more exposure, the benefit of being young and playing in a rubbish team, but I just don't think he's going to make it. At least the Richmond boys have been in the Richmond system and know our processes, even if they've been starved of opportunities to put it on display.

Yeah, I'm just not seeing it. Dumont's definitely had more exposure, the benefit of being young and playing in a rubbish team, but I just don't think he's going to make it. At least the Richmond boys have been in the Richmond system and know our processes, even if they've been starved of opportunities to put it on display.

Not going to make it? He’s played over 100 games. He has made it he’s just average.

The fact that none of such a complete group of midfield draftees were taken makes it clear that Richmond either horribly overrates their midfield talent or has completely wasted an incredible draft hand.

After all that, these are the only two possible conclusions you’ve identified?

Really?

I like Dumont. He’s an honest player.
I only see him taking one position in the side and that’s Jack Graham. Can’t have both there and it’s a waste of a spot carrying him in case Graham gets injured.

RCD, Ross, Stack all have a different role to Dumont.

Trent dumont?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back