nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
From many draft reports, aside from NGA and F/S pushbacks , live picks after say pick 30 are pretty much a chook's raffle. It's not a great draft (unless you need points or academy selections) to have picks anything say past the end of 2nd round (conservately)

I wouldn't do any draft night pick swap/downgrades if am Richmond, unless for future picks, where it's a much deeper draft class.

People are saying it's a shallow draft only because the Vic kids have been largely unseen for the last 2 years. So yes it's a shallow draft in so far as seen talent. In 5 years time, this may well be an excellent year. We don't know.

A club either has magnificent talent spotters and hence this year could be great for them as they pick up guns in the 20's and 30's. Or alternatively, they're lucky with their picks (more likely the case).

So I agree with your point that it is a chook's raffle. I just think it's way to early to say that it's not a great draft.

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
If a Hobbs, Mac or Amiss is still on the board at 11 (13) Essendons pick is there any world that Richmond would consider 15 (17) + 28 (31)
Doesn't sound like any of those guys will still be there @ 11 but I'm not against it if there is a player there that we like. I'm keen on Goater, he might be around that mark.

Would Essendon do 11, 51 and future 3rd for 26, 27, 28? Give us 3 top 15 picks and give you guys 3 top 30, rather than 1 in the top 50.

Doesn't sound like any of those guys will still be there @ 11 but I'm not against it if there is a player there that we like. I'm keen on Goater, he might be around that mark.

Would Essendon do 11, 51 and future 3rd for 26, 27, 28? Give us 3 top 15 picks and give you guys 3 top 30, rather than 1 in the top 50.

Interesting, because the points value of those 3 picks would equal more than pick 4.

Andyy

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Short answer: no.

Long answer is that we wouldn't give up a top 10 (11 after Daicos/Darcy bids) to gain points for players we are likely to get anyway. Worst case scenario we go into deficit for next year (well the actual worst case is they both are selected top 20 and we don't get to match bids).

Realistically, we'll probably trade future picks if we need more points, but there's no way we're trading Pick 9 for selections outside the top 20 which would just result in us matching bids on players we could match bids without sacrificing P9/P11.

I hope that doesn't come across as rude, I really like how you've positioned your draft hand this year - just that we're unlikely to be the trade partner you're looking for. Even if you don't find a suitor to trade up with, you end up with five shots at quality players. I don't see how you guys don't come out of this draft with a winning hand, now it's just a matter of whether that hand is a pair of aces or a royal flush.

Nah man not at all (rudeness).

I should have said in my post - I really don't think the Saints would or should trade P9. Depends on how much they rate their academies but trading away top10 talent is generally a no-no.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Short answer: no.

Long answer is that we wouldn't give up a top 10 (11 after Daicos/Darcy bids) to gain points for players we are likely to get anyway. Worst case scenario we go into deficit for next year (well the actual worst case is they both are selected top 20 and we don't get to match bids).

Realistically, we'll probably trade future picks if we need more points, but there's no way we're trading Pick 9 for selections outside the top 20 which would just result in us matching bids on players we could match bids without sacrificing P9/P11.

I hope that doesn't come across as rude, I really like how you've positioned your draft hand this year - just that we're unlikely to be the trade partner you're looking for. Even if you don't find a suitor to trade up with, you end up with five shots at quality players. I don't see how you guys don't come out of this draft with a winning hand, now it's just a matter of whether that hand is a pair of aces or a royal flush.

How about pick 15 and a future second(RFC) for pick 9?

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide

Nah, no way

I missed Gibcus. Add him to that mix. I suspect talls either end and a leader inside to replace Cotchin are the priorities at the top end of the draft for the tigers.

At the moment i see it as
1. Horne Francis
2. Daicos
3. Darcy
4. MAC/Callaghan
5. Callaghan/Mac
6. Rachelle (Crows)
7. Ward (Hawks)
8. Amiss (Freo)
9. Hobbs or Gibcus (Rich)
10. Erazmus (Freo)
11. ? (Stkilda) Wanganeen?
12. M.Johnson (Eagles)
13. (Ess or Rich)

1 of Gibcus, Hobbs or Wanganeen should be available at 13 based on putting 1 + 1 together from media outlets and journos

Last edited:

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Nah, no way

I missed Gibcus. Add him to that mix. I suspect talls either end and a leader inside to replace Cotchin are the priorities at the top end of the draft for the tigers.

At the moment i see it as
1. Horne Francis
2. Daicos
3. Darcy
4. MAC/Callaghan
5. Callaghan/Mac
6. Rachelle (Crows)
7. Ward (Hawks)
8. Amiss (Freo)
9. Hobbs or Gibcus (Rich)
10. Erazmus (Freo)
11. ? (Stkilda) Wanganeen?
12. M.Johnson (Eagles)
13. (Ess or Rich)

1 of Gibcus, Hobbs or Wanganeen should be available at 13 based on putting 1 + 1 together from media outlets and journos
What makes you think Daicos bid happens before Darcy bid when GWS has repeatedly stated that they will bid on KPF ahead of midfielders?

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
What makes you think Daicos bid happens before Darcy bid when GWS has repeatedly stated that they will bid on KPF ahead of midfielders?
Symantics. GWS would only bid on either Daicos or Darcy to make pies pay fair price, it's not like they're going to bid on Darcy and hope dogs don't match.
Nah, no way
Why not?

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Symantics. GWS would only bid on either Daicos or Darcy to make pies pay fair price, it's not like they're going to bid on Darcy and hope dogs don't match.

Why not?

I cant see us giving 11 away to drift that far back

11s a great spot it looks like atleast a Wanganaeen, Amiss, Goater, Hobbs, M.Johnson, Erazmus or Rachelle will be available at our pick, all suit us. Also that 51 is pick 42 after pick 3

I think we want top end picks. Alot are saying how even it is after pick 20

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
If the Tigers really want the Bombers pick, they will need to pay a premium. And given it's Dodoro they're negotiating with, it will be a significant premium.

There is no chance of the Bombers walking away from a good pick without adequate (and significant) compensation.

It's on the Tigers to pay that premium if they really want it.

Same goes with any other club they talk to if they want to trade up. Points for points alike won't cut it.

Cameron_Jezza

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
That's fair enough. I'd still be wanting a future 3rd or something coming back the other way.
I suppose if a guy like Gibcus was falling I wouldn't be too fussed.
If the Tigers really want the Bombers pick, they will need to pay a premium. And given it's Dodoro they're negotiating with, it will be a significant premium.

There is no chance of the Bombers walking away from a good pick without adequate (and significant) compensation.

It's on the Tigers to pay that premium if they really want it.

Same goes with any other club they talk to if they want to trade up. Points for points alike won't cut it.
If you give up something now for a future pick, that should dissipate the upgrade premium.
I think 13, essendon2022r3 for 17,30 might be acceptable to both parties.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
If you give up something now for a future pick, that should dissipate the upgrade premium.
I think 13, essendon2022r3 for 17,30 might be acceptable to both parties.
Give me 17 + 28 for 13 and F3 with the proviso Goater doesnt want to leave Victoria and we have a deal

Tigers come away with Gibcus and Hobbs... thanks Astbury and Cotch for your time

Nov 11, 2010
Punt Rd End
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting that some believe that this is a weak draft. I think its actually a very strong draft but with potential draftees having considerably less exposure to other years, its a draft where you can find far more hidden gems than normal. There will be an element of luck beyond the first 4 chosen and there will be far more 'sliders' that could be highlighted for years to come.

This is why I'm eager for the Tigers to hold on to as many picks in the top 30 as we can because it is more of lottery this year. You could easily find yourself multiple stars in the top 50 this year, that may have gone top 10 with consistent exposure. In the same breath though, you could pick up multiple players in the top 20 and miss the lot.

Early picks are far less reliable this year and not worth trading multiple picks for.

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
Interesting that some believe that this is a weak draft. I think its actually a very strong draft but with potential draftees having considerably less exposure to other years, its a draft where you can find far more hidden gems than normal. There will be an element of luck beyond the first 4 chosen and there will be far more 'sliders' that could be highlighted for years to come.

This is why I'm eager for the Tigers to hold on to as many picks in the top 30 as we can because it is more of lottery this year. You could easily find yourself multiple stars in the top 50 this year, that may have gone top 10 with consistent exposure. In the same breath though, you could pick up multiple players in the top 20 and miss the lot.

Early picks are far less reliable this year and not worth trading multiple picks for.

Exactly. It's only a "weak draft" because the Vic kids have no exposed form.

Luck will be a huge factor in this draft. Hartley said lack of exposed form last year led to the club increasing picks in this year's hoping the virus would be over. Well it hasn't worked out that way but who knows what will be the case in 3 - 5 years time.

Interestingly, I tend to think this years crop will take multiple years before they impact the comp. They will need to develop more so than normal whilst in the system. Those hidden gems though will be out there.

<Insert Dirty Harry feeling lucky punk gif> 👍

I'm hopeful that the Tigers just take their picks as they comes and select the best available at each pick. We've got a number of holes that need addressing over the next couple of drafts with KPPs/midfielder/flankers like Astbury Riewoldt Houli Cotchin Edwards coming to the end of their careers bringing in potential replacements is the key

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
CCJ didn't want to leave on bad terms and wanted Richmond to be compensated and North facilitated that trade.
If he was happy to go to the PSD and screw over Richmond for making him the 3rd down the line in the ruck/forward department then it would have happened too.
Just lucky he is such a nice guy.
What’s this got to do with our draft hand?

Back