Vlas Tarrant Grimes
Short Balta D Rioli
Baker Cotchin McIntosh
Lambert Lynch Bolton
Martin Riewoldt Castagna
Nankervis Graham Prestia
Edwards Soldo Broad Stack

EMG: Pickett RCD Ross Mansell

Round Twenty-Three team (my hopes and dreams)

Vlas Tarrant Broad
Short Grimes D.Rioli
McIntosh Graham Ralphsmith
Lambert Balta Bolton
Martin Lynch Riewoldt
Soldo/Nankervis Prestia Baker
Extended bench: Stack Cotchin Edwards Miller RCD Nyuon Ross Mansell Brown

Round Twenty-Three team (somewhat realistic)

Vlas Balta Grimes
Short Tarrant D. Rioli
Lambert Lynch Bolton
Martin Riewoldt Stack
Soldo Prestia Baker
Edwards Soldo Cotchin Broad

EMG: RCD Castagna Miller Mansell

Delistings:

Will Martyn
Josh Caddy
Marlion Pickett??
Noah Cumberland
Jake Aarts
Matthew Parker

Retirements:
Jack Riewoldt
Trent Cotchin

Trade bait:
Jack Ross
Marlion Pickett

Trade targets:
Ben 'Oh you thought Lynch was the doozy? itshappening.gif' King
Tom Green
Ely Smith
Willie Rioli
Nathan Murphy

Unpopular opinion and obligatory "Balta forward when???" rant:

I don't think Nank will make it through the season. He has copped some sort of injury annually since 2019, and I have serious doubts on him being able to remain fit for the entirety of '22. Soldo's top-notch preseason form means he'll at least be in a two-ruck rotation. And I'm so so sorry to say it, but he is not a two-ruck guy, he shoulders 80 per cent of the load with some relief from the third tall.

I reckon we will at one point this season realise that:

a) Lynch needs a proper forward partner as Jack is cooked;
b) Soldo and Nank in the same side isn't working as neither can really play as a forward;
c) Biggy Nyoun and Ben Miller are really feckin' good and need to get senior minutes;
d) Noah Balta is the perfect modern day centre half forward.

This will probably happen all at once. I love Noah at full back but I think our issues are in the forward line. His pace, athleticism, long kicking, vice like marking and rucking ability work as perfect foil to Lynch's bear-in-the-square and lead-up styles. Add Jack in there as a 'third forward' who kicked 50 goals last year and we are formidable. Then you get to Dusty and Shai. And maybe a fit Stacky....

Point is, the development at lockers #46 and #47 could unlock (pardon the pun) our cobbled-together forward line.

But I don't think we will go for it, because there is a very, very real chance we throw the absolute mortgage at Ben King.

Shorter notes and predictions

- Ralphsmith as a wing works so well with a defensive-minded bloke on the other side in McIntosh. Adds a goalscoring dimension to the outside.
- We will bite the bullet on the lack of an outstanding inside mid developer (because I don't trust RCD and Ross), and throw Baker in there before the bye.
- Tom Brown plays 8-10 games of AFL footy, no other draftee debuts.
- Biggie Nyuon parachutes in and shows f*n heaps.
- I have no idea about Tom Dow.
If soldo has to play on the ground and on the bench we are in trouble.

the OP was an excellent preview: the only thing it didnt mention was foot speed and the evolution of game plan. We looked relatively slow from the very first game last year- and the stand rule it became a way to pull our defensive strategy apart. If we dont address that, in the way other teams addressed it, then we will have a very difficult year.
I think that has a lot to do with how slowly we moved the ball, very static. As you say the stand rule was used well against us but I know I harp on it but we had very little down the line to kick to, so we were forced to go sideways a lot. We are best when we use our pace and running ability and bang the ball long.

Round One team:

Vlas Tarrant Grimes
Short Balta D Rioli
Baker Cotchin McIntosh
Lambert Lynch Bolton
Martin Riewoldt Castagna
Nankervis Graham Prestia
Edwards Soldo Broad Stack

EMG: Pickett RCD Ross Mansell

Round Twenty-Three team (my hopes and dreams)

Vlas Tarrant Broad
Short Grimes D.Rioli
Lambert Balta Bolton
Martin Lynch Riewoldt
Soldo/Nankervis Prestia Baker
Extended bench: Stack Cotchin Edwards Miller RCD Nyuon Ross Mansell Brown

Round Twenty-Three team (somewhat realistic)

Vlas Balta Grimes
Short Tarrant D. Rioli
Lambert Lynch Bolton
Martin Riewoldt Stack
Soldo Prestia Baker
Edwards Nankervis Cotchin Broad

EMG: RCD Castagna Miller Mansell

Delistings:

Will Martyn
Josh Caddy
Marlion Pickett??
Noah Cumberland
Jake Aarts
Matthew Parker

Retirements:
Jack Riewoldt
Trent Cotchin

Trade bait:
Jack Ross
Marlion Pickett

Trade targets:
Ben 'Oh you thought Lynch was the doozy? itshappening.gif' King
Tom Green
Ely Smith
Willie Rioli
Nathan Murphy

Unpopular opinion and obligatory "Balta forward when???" rant:

I don't think Nank will make it through the season. He has copped some sort of injury annually since 2019, and I have serious doubts on him being able to remain fit for the entirety of '22. Soldo's top-notch preseason form means he'll at least be in a two-ruck rotation. And I'm so so sorry to say it, but he is not a two-ruck guy, he shoulders 80 per cent of the load with some relief from the third tall.

I reckon we will at one point this season realise that:

a) Lynch needs a proper forward partner as Jack is cooked;
b) Soldo and Nank in the same side isn't working as neither can really play as a forward;
c) Biggy Nyoun and Ben Miller are really feckin' good and need to get senior minutes;
d) Noah Balta is the perfect modern day centre half forward.

This will probably happen all at once. I love Noah at full back but I think our issues are in the forward line. His pace, athleticism, long kicking, vice like marking and rucking ability work as perfect foil to Lynch's bear-in-the-square and lead-up styles. Add Jack in there as a 'third forward' who kicked 50 goals last year and we are formidable. Then you get to Dusty and Shai. And maybe a fit Stacky....

Point is, the development at lockers #46 and #47 could unlock (pardon the pun) our cobbled-together forward line.

But I don't think we will go for it, because there is a very, very real chance we throw the absolute mortgage at Ben King.

Shorter notes and predictions

- Ralphsmith as a wing works so well with a defensive-minded bloke on the other side in McIntosh. Adds a goalscoring dimension to the outside.
- We will bite the bullet on the lack of an outstanding inside mid developer (because I don't trust RCD and Ross), and throw Baker in there before the bye.
- Tom Brown plays 8-10 games of AFL footy, no other draftee debuts.
- Biggie Nyuon parachutes in and shows f*n heaps.
- I have no idea about Tom Dow.
Reckon we will see a bit of both in our starting 22 round 1. You recognise our need for youth and a bit of a shake-up in your preferred side, but don't think we will start that way. I think you are being a bit conservative and that there is a good chance that players like Miller, RCD, Ross, Hugo might be given a go early.

I would like to see RD1:

Miller Tarrant Grimes
Vlas Broad D Rioli
Stack Prestia Pickett
Lambert Balta Bolton
Edwards Lynch Riewoldt

Nankervis, Martin, Ross

Int: Short, Cotchin, Graham, RCD
Em: MacIntosh

Unlucky/first cab of the shelf: Baker (only because as a half back Rioli and Short are maybe slightly better, maybe)

MacIntosh because he is maybe just below Pickett but that could easily change, 50/50.

We need more power and youth in the middle, hence Ross and RCD.

Miller (bit of a gamble but sometimes you have to be proactive) to take the really tall forwards like McKay and King boys. Frees up Grimes, Tarrant, Broad and Vlas to be more attacking and intercepting. If needed he and Balta could swap places which gives us flexibility.

Time to back some youth with a whole swag of likely types, Dow, Cumberland, Mansell, MRJ, Biggy and the draftees snapping at the heels.

Reckon we will see a bit of both in our starting 22 round 1. You recognise our need for youth and a bit of a shake-up in your preferred side, but don't think we will start that way. I think you are being a bit conservative and that there is a good chance that players like Miller, RCD, Ross, Hugo might be given a go early.

I would like to see RD1:

Miller Tarrant Grimes
Vlas Broad D Rioli
Stack Prestia Pickett
Lambert Balta Bolton
Edwards Lynch Riewoldt

Nankervis, Martin, Ross

Unlucky/first cab of the shelf: Baker (only because as a half back Rioli and Short are maybe slightly better, maybe)

MacIntosh because he is maybe just below Pickett but that could easily change, 50/50.

Miller (bit of a gamble but sometimes you have to be proactive) to take the really tall forwards like McKay and King boys. Frees up Grimes, Tarrant, Broad and Vlas to be more attacking and intercepting. If needed he and Balta could swap places which gives us flexibility.

Time to back some youth with a whole swag of likely types, Dow, Cumberland, Mansell, MRJ, Biggy and the draftees snapping at the heels.
No way baker is out, kid is a jet

No way baker is out, kid is a jet
I'm a fan as well but who is out? Reckon he is in a contest with Rioli and Short as his best position is half back. Not really a mid, can play forward but not better than Edwards. Mute point anyway because we will not go in without an injury or two, or if so he won't be out for long. Full strength we are pretty strong still.

I'm a fan as well but who is out? Reckon he is in a contest with Rioli and Short as his best position is half back. Not really a mid, can play forward but not better than Edwards. Mute point anyway because we will not go in without an injury or two, or if so he won't be out for long. Full strength we are pretty strong still.
I see you’re point about positions but he’s just way too good not to play, he’s proven he’s amazing in any position he plays

he’s picked before RCD, graham, Ross, rioli, Pickett and it’s not even close at this point

The coach has no more moves and cannot develop young players. We are carrying 3 players that are 'spent' and are still there for what they did 2 years ago. Serious ''inj'' returns after a long time out of the game for many players? A forward line that struggles to kick more than 8 goals a game, a mid field that goes missing for 60% of a game? and a back line that showed a few cracks and lack of any cohesion in the last 5 games. New recruits ''learning'', 9 vfl games only in last 2 seasons, 2022 ?????? After 4 rounds, 0 wins 4 losses and flat line from there? or can we find momentum as we have done 2017 to 2020.

The coach has no more moves and cannot develop young players. We are carrying 3 players that are 'spent' and are still there for what they did 2 years ago. Serious ''inj'' returns after a long time out of the game for many players? A forward line that struggles to kick more than 8 goals a game, a mid field that goes missing for 60% of a game? and a back line that showed a few cracks and lack of any cohesion in the last 5 games. New recruits ''learning'', 9 vfl games only in last 2 seasons, 2022 ?????? After 4 rounds, 0 wins 4 losses and flat line from there? or can we find momentum as we have done 2017 to 2020.
giphy.gif

Pretty simple from your side. Balta goes BACK, Miller departs and Baker has his spot. ;)

98.5% of our 3 premiship sides all developed under Dimma.lol
Yes. That first sentence meant that anything that was said after that had no credibility.
Plenty of stats though which would be useful in any other normal season. But without going into all the factors, as we all what they were, it was not a normal football season. 2021 is past. List management and game plan issues really can only be well understood after a few rounds or 2022.

Not long to go now. Just as the current virus wave is finishing r1 will commence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to see RD1:

Miller Tarrant Grimes
Vlas Broad D Rioli
Stack Prestia Pickett
Lambert Balta Bolton
Edwards Lynch Riewoldt

Nankervis, Martin, Ross

Stack on the wing? He wont have the tank.

Have a look at the players that were missing for large chunks of the year all at once & u may find the answers you are looking for

Last edited:
middle average expectations in season '22 for me....if Prestia & Nank continue to be plagued and Edwards,Short & Cotch cant recapture some semblance
of 2020 it 'll be a hard grind.
The experiment off H/B with D.Rioli is still a watch and if our small fwds continue to struggle to kick goals
as they did all of last year then u may as well call it a night.
be good to produce a couple of jokers outta the pack like us in '17 & Sydney in '21 to make it interesting and enhance the chances

Last edited:
My out there predictions ( Wont be popular )

Richmond will finish Last on the ladder in 2022 by half a game from Norf
Jayden Short will be offered a 5 year $850k deal from Norf and leave as a free agent
Kane Lambert will also be leaving richmond with an offer from Geelong now that he is over 30 (3 years $750k)

Richmond will have pick #1 and receive #2 & #3 as compensation for losing their 2 champion free agents

My out there predictions ( Wont be popular )

Richmond will finish Last on the ladder in 2022 by half a game from Norf
Jayden Short will be offered a 5 year $850k deal from Norf and leave as a free agent
Kane Lambert will also be leaving richmond with an offer from Geelong now that he is over 30 (3 years $750k)

Richmond will have pick #1 and receive #2 & #3 as compensation for losing their 2 champion free agents
Your out by 17 picks.

The umpires were anti-Richmond all 2021 season. It was obscene. I gave up my season viewership for that.
If they get a fair crack then they have a fair chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back