Preview Richmond 2022 preview: Season predictions for the Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Old mate was suggesting we start tanking half way through the year. You can join him in the tiny
minded delegation to tell Dusty and Jack and Cotch that were going to put up the white flag after R11.

Gee, what year was it when we won the last 13 in a row to come from nowhere and win the flag ?

Seriously, some here don't deserve to call themselves "supporters".

Tanking rhymes with another word that comes to mind.
Lol, no I don't think I'm suggesting that.

But if you don't think that every year for the last 20 years teams (including Richmond) haven't done the mid/late season pivot to "play the kids and send the oldies in for surgery" then you need to follow the league more closely. It is a very viable and common approach for developing teams or when teams didn't quite hit their finals goals in a season.

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
Lol, no I don't think I'm suggesting that.

But if you don't think that every year for the last 20 years teams (including Richmond) haven't done the mid/late season pivot to "play the kids and send the oldies in for surgery" then you need to follow the league more closely. It is a very viable and common approach for developing teams or when teams didn't quite hit their finals goals in a season.
I never implied that at all.

Once it's mathematically impossible then you use common sense. You don't throw in the towel after R11 which is what I was scathing of. Teams like Carlton don't make their kids earn a game which, when it comes to the crunch, leaves them wanting.

Perhaps go back and read the Gasbag troll's op.

Burning bright

Senior List
May 28, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Lynch to stop trying to be the media and competition nice guy that they want him to be so as not to be fearful of him.

Play like an aggressive nasty player he was and is, in his footy DNA

and as a result start clunking marks and kicking bags.

Bring back the mongrel in 2022.

images

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
we tanked when wallet was coach and in the last game in 21 vs the hawkers

we definitely wanted to just loose or draw or win by a tiny bit in that game. if we went all out we would have belted them

you are delusional if you think clubs dont loose on purpose or by the amount required. every club tanks - just not as long as carltoon who have been doing it for 20 years now :D

"salvaged a draw"

went half arsed for 3 quarters after being told to lose by a bit, draw or win by a bit

this is tanking bloke. dont worry you still keep your morals just like the club

u can dress up tanking anyway you want, but when my uncle dresses as a woman he is still my uncle with aggots, he may look like a woman but hes still a bloke

You really are not very good at this are you !!

Really struggling here and by the looks of things i cant see any improvement in the future

Apr 30, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
If Parker, Aarts, Castagna, McIntosh and Pickett are all playing round 1 and for a big chunk of the season then I'm tipping we'll achieve not much. With our easier draw I can see 10+ games that are certainties and should be able to win 14/15+ and make top 4. Nobody improved last year. With less injuries and hopefully some new blood forcing the above mentioned players out we could achieve anything this year. I'm hoping to see huge improvement from Stack, MRJ, Ralph Smith and surely one out of Ross, RCD, Dow will put their hand up and become a guaranteed picked player week in week out. Add to that some competition from last year's recruits I'm hoping we can Jag one more Grand Final appearance before we drop off. I'm preying Aarts, Castagna and Parker barely get a run and the best out of McIntosh and Pickett maybe retains a spot at most. Too many bung average butchers out of the 5 I just listed.

JR82

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
hate them all
I’m clearly in the small minority who thinks our time has probably passed and we’re resetting without a full rebuild.
I see us 6th-10th
I agree with what u say & also think we can contend this yr also if that makes any sense at all. Our best side (which we didn't see last yr) is good enough to contend but we do need the younger guys to start pushing through, the sooner they do the better our future will be & the sooner it'll happen.

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
I predict that Nick Vlaustin starts growing his fiery red Viking beard at R1 and by the time it's grand final day it's as fierce as it was in previous grand final victories ! Reckon after being kayo'd by Dangerflop in 20 and having a quiet year last year, The Red Dragon is about to be unleashed !

Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
I predict that Nick Vlaustin starts growing his fiery red Viking beard at R1 and by the time it's grand final day it's as fierce as it was in previous grand final victories ! Reckon after being kayo'd by Dangerflop in 20 and having a quiet year last year, The Red Dragon is about to be unleashed !

Vlas leading the D50 rebound...

VJ2y.gif

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Anyone got a copy of mick mcguanes forward midfield and defence ratings from the heraldsun?
8. RICHMOND

The top-liners: Toby Nankervis (16 Games in 2021, 94 Average SuperCoach Score), Dustin Martin (16, 93), Dion Prestia (9, 85), Jack Graham (22, 84), Trent Cotchin (17, 76), Shane Edwards (16, 74), Marlion Pickett (18, 66), Kamdyn McIntosh (17, 61), Riley Collier-Dawkins (9, 57), Jack Ross (11, 54), Ivan Soldo (0, 0)

The top-ups: Josh Caddy (6, 74), Will Martyn (2, 37), Maurice Rioli (2, 23, Samson Ryan (1, -1), Judson Clarke (0, 0), Mate Colina (0, 0), Noah Cumberland (0, 0), Tyler Sonsie (0, 0)

MICK SAYS

From all accounts, Dustin Martin is as hungry as ever in ominous signs for opposition midfields. He’s a terrific centre bounce player who wins pure clearances and has the power, vision and ball use to make them impactful further up the ground. Martin also lifts his teammates around him. But I’d be challenging coach Damien Hardwick to change the mix of those players around him. As great as Trent Cotchin has been, when him and Dion Prestia play onball together the Tigers can look a bit pedestrian. Shai Bolton offers burst speed that troubles opposition midfielders and makes opposition defences uncomfortable. He should be spending more time through the middle. Liam Baker also provides a different dynamic and Kane Lambert is another option, having been used as a high forward in recent years. With the return of Ivan Soldo from a knee injury will the Tigers go back to a two-pronged ruck set up with Toby Nankervis? That will be an interesting watch.

6. RICHMOND

The top-liners: Shai Bolton (20 Games in 2021, 84 Average SuperCoach Score), Kane Lambert (13, 76), Jack Riewoldt (22, 70), Tom Lynch (18, 70), Matthew Parker (6, 62), Jake Aarts (20, 56), Jason Castagna (20, 56)

The top-ups: Hugo Ralphsmith (5, 42), Thomson Dow (5, 41)

MICK SAYS

Having the Tigers this highly ranked might surprise some. But I still think Jack Riewoldt and Tom Lynch have the ability to still influence games and, more importantly, they have a great understanding of how each other play. Lynch’s form was patchy last year yet still kicked 35.33 from his 18 games. If he can improve his accuracy a little it will bode well for the team. Many thought Riewoldt’s days were numbered last year – including me – but he still finished equal-sixth in the Coleman Medal with 51 goals. Coach Damien Hardwick would hoping for similar returns this year, as well as 50-60 goals between Dustin Martin and Shai Bolton – which is entirely possible. The challenge for Richmond is to get their pressure game back, which waned a little bit last year. The Tigers’ forward half pressure factor ranked 13th last year, after sitting 7th in 2020. There’s no excuse for that when you have the speedy smalls that Richmond has.

{Not sure want happened to the defence.We must be #1)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
8. RICHMOND

The top-liners: Toby Nankervis (16 Games in 2021, 94 Average SuperCoach Score), Dustin Martin (16, 93), Dion Prestia (9, 85), Jack Graham (22, 84), Trent Cotchin (17, 76), Shane Edwards (16, 74), Marlion Pickett (18, 66), Kamdyn McIntosh (17, 61), Riley Collier-Dawkins (9, 57), Jack Ross (11, 54), Ivan Soldo (0, 0)

The top-ups: Josh Caddy (6, 74), Will Martyn (2, 37), Maurice Rioli (2, 23, Samson Ryan (1, -1), Judson Clarke (0, 0), Mate Colina (0, 0), Noah Cumberland (0, 0), Tyler Sonsie (0, 0)

MICK SAYS

From all accounts, Dustin Martin is as hungry as ever in ominous signs for opposition midfields. He’s a terrific centre bounce player who wins pure clearances and has the power, vision and ball use to make them impactful further up the ground. Martin also lifts his teammates around him. But I’d be challenging coach Damien Hardwick to change the mix of those players around him. As great as Trent Cotchin has been, when him and Dion Prestia play onball together the Tigers can look a bit pedestrian. Shai Bolton offers burst speed that troubles opposition midfielders and makes opposition defences uncomfortable. He should be spending more time through the middle. Liam Baker also provides a different dynamic and Kane Lambert is another option, having been used as a high forward in recent years. With the return of Ivan Soldo from a knee injury will the Tigers go back to a two-pronged ruck set up with Toby Nankervis? That will be an interesting watch.

6. RICHMOND

The top-liners: Shai Bolton (20 Games in 2021, 84 Average SuperCoach Score), Kane Lambert (13, 76), Jack Riewoldt (22, 70), Tom Lynch (18, 70), Matthew Parker (6, 62), Jake Aarts (20, 56), Jason Castagna (20, 56)

The top-ups: Hugo Ralphsmith (5, 42), Thomson Dow (5, 41)

MICK SAYS

Having the Tigers this highly ranked might surprise some. But I still think Jack Riewoldt and Tom Lynch have the ability to still influence games and, more importantly, they have a great understanding of how each other play. Lynch’s form was patchy last year yet still kicked 35.33 from his 18 games. If he can improve his accuracy a little it will bode well for the team. Many thought Riewoldt’s days were numbered last year – including me – but he still finished equal-sixth in the Coleman Medal with 51 goals. Coach Damien Hardwick would hoping for similar returns this year, as well as 50-60 goals between Dustin Martin and Shai Bolton – which is entirely possible. The challenge for Richmond is to get their pressure game back, which waned a little bit last year. The Tigers’ forward half pressure factor ranked 13th last year, after sitting 7th in 2020. There’s no excuse for that when you have the speedy smalls that Richmond has.

{Not sure want happened to the defence.We must be #1)
Thanks mate. I believe he had dees #1 in all 3 areas :oops: I can cop midfield and probably defence but a forward line where Spargo, Melksham, Sparrow and Neal-Bullen were included as 'top-liners' ain't the best in the league.

Our forward line will look alot different to the one he's gone with too.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Thanks mate. I believe he had dees #1 in all 3 areas :oops: I can cop midfield and probably defence but a forward line where Spargo, Melksham, Sparrow and Neal-Bullen were included as 'top-liners' ain't the best in the league.

Our forward line will look alot different to the one he's gone with too.
Our defence should be #1
Our fwd line is abit so so i give him that.
Our mid is behind Geelong.lol

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Our defence should be #1
Our fwd line is abit so so i give him that.
Our mid is behind Geelong.lol
If Stack, Baker and Balta all play forward this year along with Jack, Lynch, Lambert and Bolton/Dusty we could easily have the best forward line. It will be interesting to see what impact Teague has had in that area.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
If Stack, Baker and Balta all play forward this year along with Jack, Lynch, Lambert and Bolton/Dusty we could easily have the best forward line. It will be interesting to see what impact Teague has had in that area.
Certainly on paper & reputation we have a solid fwd line.

Back