Club Focus Richmond 2023

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Jacob Hoppers best is nowhere near A grade,

Taranto made sense and has shown he can be at GWS and now at Richmond Hopper has shown that he can be a good player but never the kind of player to win games for you just play a good role in it which is what clubs need but shouldn't pay what you paid

Incorrect, AA squad and 3rd BnF in a strong team says otherwise. At his best, absolute gun inside mid.

Incorrect, AA squad and 3rd BnF in a strong team says otherwise. At his best, absolute gun inside mid.
So he's never been an AA and has once finished 3rd in a BnF and this makes him an A grader?

Will Minson was the starting AA ruck one year in the actual team does that suddenly make him an A+ Grade?

Hopper is a solid player bust his best year statistically is virtually identical to James Worpel this year is Worpel now an A grader?

Jacob Hoppers best is nowhere near A grade,

Taranto made sense and has shown he can be at GWS and now at Richmond Hopper has shown that he can be a good player but never the kind of player to win games for you just play a good role in it which is what clubs need but shouldn't pay what you paid
Well he made an AA squad and got 15 Brownlow votes only 2 years ago so that's not true.

Let's see how they go with another good preseason and under a coach that put's some value on stoppage and clearance work.

Well he made an AA squad and got 15 Brownlow votes only 2 years ago so that's not true.

Let's see how they go with another good preseason and under a coach that put's some value on stoppage and clearance work.
Again making an AA squad doesn't make you an A grader considering guys like Bailey Dale Will Minson and Darcy Byrne-Jones have actually made the team and are not considered A graders

His best years came when he was playing with Coniglio/Kelly/Taranto/Ward/Shiel who were/are all A graders hence he got to do his thing with little to no attention

Angus Brayshaw came 3rd in a brownlow with 21 votes and wasn't even invited to the event as he wasn't considered a chance so not really the most relevant argument you could make seeing as once again Angus has never been considered an A grader

Hopper would be lucky to be in the top 25 midfielders in the comp he is a very solid player like Worpel but he just isn't an A grader never will be an A grader and never has been an A grader

So he's never been an AA and has once finished 3rd in a BnF and this makes him an A grader?

Will Minson was the starting AA ruck one year in the actual team does that suddenly make him an A+ Grade?

Hopper is a solid player bust his best year statistically is virtually identical to James Worpel this year is Worpel now an A grader?
The discussion was "his best" so yes his best if you have a look and cared to watch those games, are A grade. Its not hard to understand

Again making an AA squad doesn't make you an A grader considering guys like Bailey Dale Will Minson and Darcy Byrne-Jones have actually made the team and are not considered A graders

His best years came when he was playing with Coniglio/Kelly/Taranto/Ward/Shiel who were/are all A graders hence he got to do his thing with little to no attention

Angus Brayshaw came 3rd in a brownlow with 21 votes and wasn't even invited to the event as he wasn't considered a chance so not really the most relevant argument you could make seeing as once again Angus has never been considered an A grader

Hopper would be lucky to be in the top 25 midfielders in the comp he is a very solid player like Worpel but he just isn't an A grader never will be an A grader and never has been an A grader
I said his best was A grade. He is not at his best ATM and last year was ruined by injury. The Brownlow reference wasn't in isolation like Brayshaw, that along with AA squad and 3rd in the BnF (ahead of all of those supposed A grade GWS players you reference bar one) points to an A grade season. That is just facts.

The discussion was "his best" so yes his best if you have a look and cared to watch those games, are A grade. Its not hard to understand
Okay I have just seen the squad for that year would you sugest Jarred Lyons was ever an A grader?

I said his best was A grade. He is not at his best ATM and last year was ruined by injury. The Brownlow reference wasn't in isolation like Brayshaw, that along with AA squad and 3rd in the BnF (ahead of all of those supposed A grade GWS players you reference bar one) points to an A grade season. That is just facts.
His best is the same as Paul Seedsman and Jarred Lyons are they A graders too now?

Flanders or Hollands from Gold Coast are two young talented mid types Richmond should target who probably wouldn't cost the world in the trade capital.

They can get creative and get back into this draft but under no circumstances should they try trade their future 1st round pick again, it's too much of a gamble with their likely end of season retirements.

It's possible they can do a list refresh for a couple of seasons (like Collingwood and more recently Sydney have done) in recent years, spend 2 or 3 years out of the draft and regenerate their list with astute draft picks and all of sudden back in finals/flag contention..

Would need a bit of luck too

I'm not sure why you're finding it so hard to comprehend but you seem to be a very argumentative person. Don't quote me anymore.
I'm finding it hard to comprehend because you list the names Petracca Bontempelli Oliver Walsh Cripps Dawson Taranto ect as A graders yet you're trying to argue guys like Hopper Seedsman Lyons belong with them as they've made an AA squad

Quite simply you over paid for a solid role player not sure why thats so hard to accept Hoppers best year statistically again is almost identical to Worpel this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm finding it hard to comprehend because you list the names Petracca Bontempelli Oliver Walsh Cripps Dawson Taranto ect as A graders yet you're trying to argue guys like Hopper Seedsman Lyons belong with them as they've made an AA squad

Quite simply you over paid for a solid role player not sure why thats so hard to accept Hoppers best year statistically again is almost identical to Worpel this year
For the 3rd time I said 'his best was A grade'. Anyone that makes an AA squad played elite footy for a season at least. I also said he's not and hasn't been at that level since then, for a few reasons, and that we hope to see it again. Try get ya head around that.

I won't see your reply cos you will be set to ignore :thumbsu:

They identified a need an filled it

Getting Taranto was identifying a need and filling it. A midfield of Taranto, Prestia and Bolton with Martin, Baker, Pickett and Graham rotating through while they develop their younger kids would be fine. Especially so because they've basically only drafted smalls so recently so should've been able to develop some mids.

But then they went and paid a premium amount for an injury prone player who had only shown glimpses of premium level performance. Their underperformance this year has turned it into an ultra premium amount. Now they've got a huge amount of salary cap and 2 years worth of high draft picks locked up in a midfield group that is struggling. Their chances of bolstering the rest of the ground is hamstrung by the big, long contracts and draft capital given up.

Getting one or other would've been smart. Getting both and overpaying has left them in a mess.

Getting Taranto was identifying a need and filling it. A midfield of Taranto, Prestia and Bolton with Martin, Baker, Pickett and Graham rotating through while they develop their younger kids would be fine. Especially so because they've basically only drafted smalls so recently so should've been able to develop some mids.

But then they went and paid a premium amount for an injury prone player who had only shown glimpses of premium level performance. Their underperformance this year has turned it into an ultra premium amount. Now they've got a huge amount of salary cap and 2 years worth of high draft picks locked up in a midfield group that is struggling. Their chances of bolstering the rest of the ground is hamstrung by the big, long contracts and draft capital given up.

Getting one or other would've been smart. Getting both and overpaying has left them in a mess.
Their overpayment for Hopper at the end of the day was basically 1 decent pick and 2 years. It's not ideal but it happens. They've drafted enough to move on

Flanders or Hollands from Gold Coast are two young talented mid types Richmond should target who probably wouldn't cost the world in the trade capital.

They can get creative and get back into this draft but under no circumstances should they try trade their future 1st round pick again, it's too much of a gamble with their likely end of season retirements.

It's possible they can do a list refresh for a couple of seasons (like Collingwood and more recently Sydney have done) in recent years, spend 2 or 3 years out of the draft and regenerate their list with astute draft picks and all of sudden back in finals/flag contention..

Would need a bit of luck too
No. This shows your lack of of knowledge of our list and needs. Tall forward and small goal kicking forward is the priority.

A grade yet still hasn't won a B&F or made an AA team. Rightio.

What's in the water down at Punt Road.

No. This shows your lack of of knowledge of our list and needs. Tall forward and small goal kicking forward is the priority.

Your midfield has been smashed the last couple of weeks and in most of your losses this season.
At any rate with your lack of draft/trade capital for this year's trade/draft period you are very unlikely to be able to fix your immediate/priority needs.

Your backline needs some regeneration too.

Your midfield has been smashed the last couple of weeks and in most of your losses this season.
At any rate with your lack of draft/trade capital for this year's trade/draft period you are very unlikely to be able to fix your immediate/priority needs.

Your backline needs some regeneration too.
No. Key forward is the priority.
Citing midfield and backline over this shows you have very little knowledge of our issues.

Regardless, guys like Flanders and Hollands wouldn’t solve the problems you are even addressing. Just a real lack of thought in your posts here Elmer.

No. Key forward is the priority.
Citing midfield and backline over this shows you have very little knowledge of our issues.

Well sorry for putting in my 2 cents worth.

I think you are either naive or delusional if you think adding another Key Foward will solve most if not all of Richmond's current issues.

Well sorry for putting in my 2 cents worth.

I think you are either naive or delusional if you think adding another Key Foward will solve most if not all of Richmond's current issues.
Read what I wrote Elmer. I didn’t say it would solve all our issues. I stated it would be our number one priority.

Happy to have the debate with you, but put some thought into your posts and read the posts you respond to.

Read what I wrote Elmer. I didn’t say it would solve all our issues. I stated it would be our number one priority.

Happy to have the debate with you, but put some thought into your posts and read the posts you respond to.

I think you need to blood/put more games into Ryan and Cumberland, who have shown glimpses of being potentially goal kicking forwards.

I just happen to think think getting some more pace into your midfield and wing positions would be more of an immediate issue Richmond should address, as is bolstering your backline, esp giving Grimes falling off a cliff (granted Gibcus being injured for most of this season hasn't helped)

At any rate, it's pretty unlikely you will be able to solve your KPF issues in this year's draft and trade period, at any rate.

Bide your time and make a crack at Ben King who is a RFA at the end of next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back