Club Focus Richmond 2024

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Who are the Tigers gonna let go in order to speed up the rebuild?

Baker looks like he will head back to WA.

Dusty to Gold Coast perhaps.

Who else has trade currency... Sydney might need a KPF. Is Tom Lynch gettable?

Shai Bolton?

Shai Bolton?
I think Baker and Dusty stay. I certainly wouldnt be shopping a just turned 26 VC Baker. If he wants to leave then thats a diferent story.
Jack Graham will probably leave as a free agent.
Personally I'd look at trading a Lynch or Vlastuin for an earlyish pick but that's not a popular idea on our board.
Bolton off limits. He's only 25.

What they ‘should’ do and what they ‘will’ do are likely completely different.

It’s fun to speculate but realistically they’re not going to be as aggressive as many here think they should be.

Baker is likely to go. Out of contract. It’s an easy discussion to have with him.

Dusty too. Not sure he moves elsewhere or retires. If he goes to the Suns they’re not getting much in return.

Balta
Lynch
Vlastuin
Rioli
Short
Bolton
Hopper
Taranto

They’re the only players with any real value. How many can we really see moving?

I doubt more than one. And it’s not going to be anyone currently on a long term deal IMO.

What they ‘should’ do and what they ‘will’ do are likely completely different.

It’s fun to speculate but realistically they’re not going to be as aggressive as many here think they should be.

Baker is likely to go. Out of contract. It’s an easy discussion to have with him.

Dusty too. Not sure he moves elsewhere or retires. If he goes to the Suns they’re not getting much in return.

Balta
Lynch
Vlastuin
Rioli
Short
Bolton
Hopper
Taranto

They’re the only players with any real value. How many can we really see moving?

I doubt more than one. And it’s not going to be anyone currently on a long term deal IMO.
I don't think many move unless they ask.
They will get good picks this year, hope for a better 2025 and be in a position to get free agents in for 2026. I wonder though if Geelong would consider trading its first ( perhaps 13) for Hopper? Only if they miss out on Bailey Smith, and even then if Bruhn etc are showing enough I suspect they won't trade for Hopper unless his form improves, in which case Richmond wouldn't let him leave.

Shai Bolton?
If you want a rebuild to work you need a skeleton of seasoned players around any kids you bring through. Throwing kids into an unstructured mess and hoping they come good is a recipe for a North style forever rebuild.

Just keep fielding the best team available.

Shai Bolton?

Baker re-signed late last time he was out of contract so don't think it is a forgone conclusion yet, hope he stays.

I think Martin will end up at the gold coast, there is so many richmond people up there. He will be 33, 300 game player, 3 x norm smith etc his legacy is cemented if he wants to go to gold coast for a few years in the sun before retiring no one will begrudge him. Jon Ralp said he was looking for a 2 x 850k contract

The only club that makes a bit of sense for Lynch is melbourne, Lynch can stay in VIC, Dees have cap space post brayshaw and are in the premiership window. But I very much doubt he moves, and there is no real incentive for richmond to let lynch go unless they get a crazy good pick back, we already have a lot of 2nd and 3rd rounders and lynch is not blocking the development of a young player

Bolton is contracted until 2028, so next to zero chance he moves. He has a partner and child in melbourne so he is pretty settled and so there is not a real go home factor

Depending on what happens with Baker, there is every chance we will have 3-4 first round picks at the draft (Brisbane, Gold coast, Carlton academy/FS, points based trades) with a top 6 pick courtesy of our ladder position

Regarding Baker, this was in our local rag last week;

Article is paywalled, but here is the text;

Richmond Tiger Liam Baker has purchased a multi-million-dollar riverside property in Perth amid speculation the West Australian star could be eyeing a return home.
Baker, 26, is out of contract at the end of this season and is again being linked with West Coast and Fremantle, who are both reportedly interested in the utility.
The Subiaco product has previously been on their radar in 2022 when his last contract was ending, before re-signing with the Tigers for two years.
Announced as the vice-captain of the Tigers, Baker is in the sights of several Victorian club as well, but he isn’t a free agent meaning a trade will need to be brokered if he is to move.
Baker purchased a four-bedroom, two bathroom home in Mount Pleasant for $2.22m in January which will only add to speculation he could return home.
West Coast could be in the box seat given they have recently hired former Richmond recruiting boss Matthew Clark as their list manager this year, giving an obvious link between the two.
There were reports earlier this year that Baker was in no rush to work on a contract as he assesses life under new coach Adem Yze.
Baker has played 112 games for the Tigers since being drafted as a rookie out of Subiaco in 2018 as a mature-ager and has finished in the top six of the club’s fairest and best in the past four seasons.
He played in two premierships (2019 and 2020) and has been used in a variety of positions, but mainly as a midfielder this year where he is averaging 17 disposals.
Both West Coast and Fremantle could be big players in the trade and free agency period this year.
The Eagles have been linked to Western Bulldogs ruckman Tim English, who is a restricted free agent and set to command a long contract worth millions of dollars.
Meanwhile, Fremantle are reportedly keen on Sydney’s Logan McDonald who is also out of contract after 46 games for the Swans since being drafted in 2020.
The Dockers have also been linked to out-of-contract Sydney wingman Errol Gulden, who is going to be hard to pry from the club given he is from Sydney.

If you want a rebuild to work you need a skeleton of seasoned players around any kids you bring through. Throwing kids into an unstructured mess and hoping they come good is a recipe for a North style forever rebuild.

Just keep fielding the best team available.
I agree with this, however I don't know if the left over seasoned players are really right for us during this rebuild. If you have guys whose bodies aren't up to it any more like Prestia and Grimes, or guys that night be checked out like Martin, or perennially injured guys like Hopper.

I think a year of playing the younger guys will hopefully get us a better picture of who might make it and then we can make some aggressive moves.

I agree with this, however I don't know if the left over seasoned players are really right for us during this rebuild. If you have guys whose bodies aren't up to it any more like Prestia and Grimes, or guys that night be checked out like Martin, or perennially injured guys like Hopper.

I think a year of playing the younger guys will hopefully get us a better picture of who might make it and then we can make some aggressive moves.

I think you have more to work with than you might think, you've just spread it too thin. You just have to choose what to be bad at and what to be good at. Then the defined weakness creates a well defined strategy for the whole team.

I would move Balta back to defence permanently, and try get extra midfield rotations into Bolton. Basically fill out the best 22 like the front half doesn't exist. You'll be better than average in both midfield and backline, it'll just be Lynch and whoever forward.

Then you have defined strengths and weaknesses, which is the start point for a strategy a whole list buys into. The details of this strategy would need to be worked out and there would be trial and error.

The end point though, is that you field a team with the same players but one that fails in ways that are more predictable, and the whole team works together to cover the one weakness.

I think if you try to field the least worst side on every line, your rebuild won't have a focal point for list managers and the player buy in to strategy won't be as deep. Worst of all the off field and on field strategy might not align at all.

I think you have more to work with than you might think, you've just spread it too thin. You just have to choose what to be bad at and what to be good at. Then the defined weakness creates a well defined strategy for the whole team.

I would move Balta back to defence permanently, and try get extra midfield rotations into Bolton. Basically fill out the best 22 like the front half doesn't exist. You'll be better than average in both midfield and backline, it'll just be Lynch and whoever forward.

Then you have defined strengths and weaknesses, which is the start point for a strategy a whole list buys into. The details of this strategy would need to be worked out and there would be trial and error.

The end point though, is that you field a team with the same players but one that fails in ways that are more predictable, and the whole team works together to cover the one weakness.

I think if you try to field the least worst side on every line, your rebuild won't have a focal point for list managers and the player buy in to strategy won't be as deep. Worst of all the off field and on field strategy might not align at all.

You make some interesting points. Currently I'm happy with Balta going forward because we have a few guys like Young, Brown and Miller who I'd like to see lock down a KPD spot this year. All have question marks on them. A rough year that unearths a few gems on the list would be an acceptable situation. But it's fair to say that if we can't get the ball up into our forwardline then you could have an AA forward line and it wouldn't matter.

I know it's probably a bit of a defeatist attitude but we have a heap of players who are unexposed at the top level that a goal for the year should be to get a good look at everyone on the list and make some tough calls at the end of the year. There's still some quality no doubt on the list but such a big percentage of our list is either in their last 1-2 years of playing, or unproven/inconsistent. A deep cut is just going to get replaced with more unproven draftees so I would hope we are pretty active this trade period to improve our list, bringing in experienced players where appropriate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ahem

Shai Bolton?
I would be moving on Prestia, Grimes, KMac, Pickett, Graham, Collina (lol).

Open to Dusty retiring.

Open to Lynch going if he wants to/some contending club needs a KPF.

I would be moving on Prestia, Grimes, KMac, Pickett, Graham, Collina (lol).

Open to Dusty retiring.

Open to Lynch going if he wants to/some contending club needs a KPF.

That is alot to be moving in one go.

Prestia, Graham and Grimes probably could all go one more year while you move the others on and then move those three a year later. Need to keep some old heada around to help guide.

That is alot to be moving in one go.

Prestia, Graham and Grimes probably could all go one more year while you move the others on and then move those three a year later. Need to keep some old heada around to help guide.
Grimes is absolutely cooked and should've gone last year to be honest. Reckon Graham leaves as a free agent. Prestia, depends how his body goes when he returns but I'd rather pump games into Sonsie and McAuliffe from now on. Maybe a 1 year deal with no guarantees of starting.
Maurice Rioli could be anything. Sign him up long term
Wouldn't go that far just yet. If he didn't have the Rioli surname he probably wouldn't be on a list. His last 2 games have been encouraging though. Would help if he didn't come back every off season out of shape.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back