SEASON 2022 AFLW PLAYER LISTING AND BIOS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there an article explaining why Sabrina Frederick changed her name?
Had a hyphen surname and dropped Taub. Am gonna really enjoy watching sabrina play , got better as vflw season wore on, was very good in the final. Has a real presence , uses her size to advantage with good hands and a neat kicking technique. You won’t miss her

No space on our 2020 list, only rookie spot we have is Gabby Seymour
Rookies qualifiers can't have played women's footy for last 3 years, eg gabby is a volley baller
But Jess Pickett can play for our VFLW side next season
If she does line up for our VFLW team then surely she’ll be doing it in #50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I noticed that there is discussion about the Bulldogs AFLW team having no women among their 8 coaches. At RFC we have one coach who is female. Must be a few women coaches at junior levels. Anyone illuminate me on this?

Some people who are screaming for more female coaches won't like this but this is what I think. It's just an opinion and others may see it differently.

For AFLW players to get better and the competition to get better you have to surround them with elite coaches. The issue is that those coaches are mainly men as it is the men who have come from elite football environments. There are good female coaches out there but clubs don't feel that they will do justice to their players if they appoint a coach who themselves are learning on the job. This is why you pretty much never have players or even ex players complain bitterly about the lack of female coaches. Sure they would love more female representation but they understand that this is not a gender thing but all about creating the best AFLW player possible by employing the best person for the job.

There are going to be some really outstanding female coaches come into AFLW but the reality is that they are pretty much all still playing. Chelsea Randall, Erin Phillips (if she leaves basketball) Melissa Hickey, Amanda Farrugia, Karen Paxman, Daisy Pearce, Jess Duffin,Emma Kearney are just a few that immediately come to mind still playing who I think will make great coaches if thats what they want to do. I've probably missed just as many. Hopefully AFL clubs invest in these people as they come out of the game. It will be interesting to see what happens with Amanda Farrugia now that she retired only a few days ago. She has a pretty good teaching job so it will be tough to give that up but she is the sort of person you want around your team.

More female coaches will happen, we just have to give it time and clubs have to be bold and invest in people.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back