Richmond AFLW round 1 Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
What does everyone think our round 1 team will look like, now that our list is finished?
Here's mine :)

FB: Harriet Cordner 177cm, Rebecca Miller 184cm

HB: Iilish Ross 169cm, Maddie Shevlin 174cm, Sarah D'Arcy 171cm

C: Kate Dempsey 162cm, Meagan Kiely 168cm, Tessa Lavey 171cm

HF: Ellie McKenzie 175cm, Katie Brennan 174cm, Jessica Hosking 164cm

F: Tayla Stahl 164cm, Courtney Wakefield 180cm

R: Gabrielle Seymour 175cm, Monique Conti 165cm, Sarah Hosking 164cm

Int: Poppy Kelly 184cm, Sophie Molan 175cm, Madeline Brancatisano 169cm, Emelia Yassir 160cm, Stella Reid 173cm

Harriet & Rebecca take the talls, Iilish the smalls
Sarah D & Maddie intercept marking & run off half back
Ellie McK & Jess H rotate thru mid & wing with Sarah H
Monique rotate thru centre with Meagan
Sophie M & Maddy B rotating thru mid
Poppy rotating thru ruck with Gabby
Emelia & Stella rotate thru half fwd, with Stella thru wing as well

Last edited:
Stan you beat me to it. I had the following already written out before you posted and its pretty close to your team.

FB: Miller Cordner
HB: Ross D'Arcy Shevlin
C: Dempsey S Hocking Lavey
HF:J Hosking Brennan Brancatisano
FF Stahl Wakefield
R: Seymour McKenzie Conti
Int: Kiely Molan Kelly Reid McLelland

4 of the 5 defenders are locks based on last season and Shevlin was targeted as that rebounding half back so she slots straight in there.
Dempsey had a really good season so slots back on a wing. Sarah Hosking in the middle and I really like Lavey on a wing. One of the few who broke lines last season.
Gabby Ellie and Monique on the ball. They pick themselves.
Brennan Stahl and Wakefield are our go to forward players with Jess Hosking there as a pressure forward and mid rotation. Brancatisano on a half forward to be that link player between centre and forward.
Our interchange - Kiely slips straight in as a mid rotation. We have a history of picking our first rounders from R1 if they are good enough and I think Reid will be good enough. Ease into first game from the bench into our HF line. Kelly our second ruck. Backing Molan to have more impact so she is on the bench and I pick McLelland as that versatile player that can go back or forward as needed. Think the coaches like her aggression and versatility.

Unlucky is Yassir. Could easily come in and I wouldn't be surprised if she does. Will depend on pre season form. If she has some good pre season practice matches could easily slip onto the bench. Likewise Burchell. One who improved and just misses out.

Others:
Dargan - Not in on the back of 2021. Needs to find some improvement. Better player than she showed.
Jacques - See above. Think she needs to gain a yard.
Bernardi - In and out of the side last season and couldn't find a spot for her R1 although will play senior footy at some stage.
Sansonetti - Feel a bit for Sarah. Just hasn't quite had the opportunity and is currently our depth defender.
McLaren - I really rate Hannah. Would love to see her get a game. Tries her guts out and can be a reliable defender. Others are just ahead at the moment.
Houtsma - Project player.
Makur Chuot - Clearly very popular player in our squad. Doesn't make round one team but I'm sure we will see her at some stage of the year. Shapes as a pretty important season for her.

Last edited:
Stan you beat me to it. I had the following already written out before you posted and its pretty close to your team.

FB: Miller Cordner
HB: Ross D'Arcy Shevlin
C: Dempsey S Hocking Lavey
HF:J Hosking Brennan Brancatisano
FF Stahl Wakefield
R: Seymour McKenzie Conti
Int: Kiely Molan Kelly Reid McLelland

4 of the 5 defenders are locks based on last season and Shevlin was targeted as that rebounding half back so she slots straight in there.
Dempsey had a really good season so slots back on a wing. Sarah Hosking in the middle and I really like Lavey on a wing. One of the few who broke lines last season.
Gabby Ellie and Monique on the ball. They pick themselves.
Brennan Stahl and Wakefield are our go to forward players with Jess Hosking there as a pressure forward and mid rotation. Brancatisano on a half forward to be that link player between centre and forward.
Our interchange - Kiely slips straight in as a mid rotation. We have a history of picking our first rounders from R1 if they are good enough and I think Reid will be good enough. Ease into first game from the bench into our HF line. Kelly our second ruck. Backing Molan to have more impact so she is on the bench and I pick McLelland as that versatile player that can go back or forward as needed. Think the coaches like her aggression and versatility.

Unlucky is Yassir. Could easily come in and I wouldn't be surprised if she does. Will depend on pre season form. If she has some good pre season practice matches could easily slip onto the bench. Likewise Burchell. One who improved and just misses out.

Others:
Dargan - Not in on the back of 2021. Needs to find some improvement. Better player than she showed.
Jacques - See above. Think she needs to gain a yard.
Bernardi - In and out of the side last season and couldn't find a spot for her R1 although will play senior footy at some stage.
Sansonetti - Feel a bit for Sarah. Just hasn't quite had the opportunity and is currently our depth defender.
McLaren - I really rate Hannah. Would love to see her get a game. Tries her guts out and can be a reliable defender. Others are just ahead at the moment.
Houtsma - Project player.
Makur Chuot - Clearly very popular player in our squad. Doesn't make round one team but I'm sure we will see her at some stage of the year. Shapes as a pretty important season for her.

Great post Tigerman
Yeah barring injuries & form, the side is pretty settled, with maybe 1 or 2 spots on the interchange up for grabs
Meagan Kiely is a lock for round 1 with one of our 1st rounders, Emelia Yassir or Stella Reid
Fingers crossed, we look to be building a solid list & hopefully we'll be right in the end of most games
Looking for a solid backline, a deeper midfield & more goals kicked by our FWD's

Great post Tigerman
Yeah barring injuries & form, the side is pretty settled, with maybe 1 or 2 spots on the interchange up for grabs
Meagan Kiely is a lock for round 1 with one of our 1st rounders, Emelia Yassir or Stella Reid
Fingers crossed, we look to be building a solid list & hopefully we'll be right in the end of most games
Looking for a solid backline, a deeper midfield & more goals kicked by our FWD's
You both lost me when I saw Molan in the team. Also the backlines are too tall and slow. Need some pace out of the back half

Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 10.58.20 pm.png

OTHERS: S SANSONETTI, H BURCHELL, K JACQUES, S DARGAN, I HOUTSMA, A MAKUR CHUOT

What I like about our team now is the depth that we have and that the competition for spots will have to be earned, those in contention will have to work their backsides off to get a place in the side.

I also had 4 defenders as locks. Maybe a surprise but I’ve added Hannah McLaren as the 5th defender, as a rebounding defender her first instinct is to take the game on and I think she’s done enough and shown enough now to deserve a shot at this position. Gain some confidence by playing a few games at this level and she could make this position hers.

In the midfield, our trio of on ballers are a lock with Gabby, Monique and Ellie. I’ve got Sarah Hosking starting on the bench. I like the thought of Ellie smashing in physically early and then interchange with Sarah to continue the hurt factor.

At Centre I’ve got Meagan Kiely, as a ready made midfielder, she can win ball, but is also a big two way runner, and in this position is the player that I see as the one that can also get back to help defend when needed.

I landed on Maddy Shevlin on one wing, Tessa Lavey on the other. Maddy Shevlin was a dominant player in a super strong VFLW team this year, is now over her injury, and she’s proven that she’s a big metres gained player. This tipped it for me.

Other mids I’ve gone for are Maddy Brancatisano and Sophie Molan, these two young players are developing nicely, which stood out at times last season, and both these girls should step up a level this year. I’m very bullish on our midfield this year being able to match it with the top teams. Poppy Kelly is the second ruck, and then as the utility player I have Stella Reid, and with her versatility she is able to fill many holes. If we need a rotation forward, she goes forward, if we need a rotation back, she can go back, or you could also send Maddy Shevlin back and throw Stella on a wing.

Stahl, Wakefield and Brennan as the 3 prong attack and Jess Hosking forward makes our forward line look scary good. I’ve got Emelia Yassir ahead of either Jacques or Bernardi, OK she’s young but she has shown that she can play against woman in VFLW and has the strength to play first round. Like Kiely she is a two way runner with some serious speed from contest and brings that defensive pressure we need and also adds to players able to rotate through the middle.

Overall we have a lot more bases covered then ever before and we are way more versatile from coming out of the trade and draft with the addition of Jess Hosking, Stella Reid, Emelia Yassir, Maddy Shevlin and Ingrid Houtsma.

Last edited:
With the recruitment of Poppy King I'd be very tempted to try Gabby Seymour forward at times. We know she can leap and she can take a grab. Has improved out of sight with the passing of each season so I expect her to again improve her skills and footy IQ. She got to all the right places last season and she has a fair tank on her.

We might (and I repeat "might") just have Wakefield's replacement right under our very noses.

I have a soft spot for Hannah burchell because I know her, but if she can’t get in the side, then things are looking really good.

Yeah I was torn leaving her out because I know she gives 100% and she did improve from year 1 to year 2 and quite frankly is one of my favourites. Would be delighted to see her make the R1 team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back