Richmond are the new Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

tiger tyme

Debutant
Feb 26, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I think Richmond may well be the attractive, Sydney side from the past decade pressure based game but with more attacking prowess and speed for days on the outside i think its the perfect combination as the Sydney team may have been a dour slog out we squeeze and when they pop we have the ability to pile on a score..But we have the ability to stop teams getting a run on our defence and defencive pressure is best in the leauge i think our players and game plan can take us back to back.

Last edited:

Sydney's lock down football during the mid to late 2000's was a horrible spectacle The saints v Sydney, I think in 2008 was the worst football I have ever seen

Sydney's lock down football during the mid to late 2000's was a horrible spectacle The saints v Sydney around 2008 was the worst football I have ever seen

Agree. Hated that defensive footy of the mid 2000s. Was dog s**t to watch

Sydney's lock down football during the mid to late 2000's was a horrible spectacle The saints v Sydney, I think in 2008 was the worst football I have ever seen
Yeah thats for sure but u do need defence to win a game im glad that we have the weapons to score like we do i think we r just scratching the surface.

I think Richmond may well be the attractive, Sydney side from the past decade pressure based game but with more attacking prowess and speed for days on the outside i think its the perfect combination as the Sydney team may have been a dour slog out we squeeze and when they pop we have the ability to pile on a score..But we have the ability to stop teams getting a run on our defence and defencive pressure is best in the leauge i think our players and game plan can take us back to back.
Where is our :
upload_2018-2-27_23-15-29.png

I understand the temptation to compare the modern Richmond with the model that Sydney have brought to the table since Roos and Longmire became ringmasters. Both play at high intensity, demand accountability in attack and defence and, most importantly, insist on high personal character values for their players. However, their game plans have been shaped by the different sized grounds they play on. Richmond have shown that they can bring a compression game to a small ground like the SCG while Sydney have had less success in adapting to the bigger spaces on the MCG. I've never had a problem with Sydney's game, even when they were royally pissing off posers like Demetriou. Actually make that particularly when they were pissing off Vlad. Sydney have been up there for a long time and I fully expect that to continue. Their main problem now will be to get over us because now that we are at the top, I can't see us conceding the position easily.

There’s no Cola for us mate, and we don’t mind kicking a score, two major differences there, oh and we have only been broke once, not five times

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand the temptation to compare the modern Richmond with the model that Sydney have brought to the table since Roos and Longmire became ringmasters. Both play at high intensity, demand accountability in attack and defence and, most importantly, insist on high personal character values for their players. However, their game plans have been shaped by the different sized grounds they play on. Richmond have shown that they can bring a compression game to a small ground like the SCG while Sydney have had less success in adapting to the bigger spaces on the MCG. I've never had a problem with Sydney's game, even when they were royally pissing off posers like Demetriou. Actually make that particularly when they were pissing off Vlad. Sydney have been up there for a long time and I fully expect that to continue. Their main problem now will be to get over us because now that we are at the top, I can't see us conceding the position easily.

I do not think we are like Sydney at all in terms of negative lock down. I think their is a difference between overly negative as opposed to exerting confidence with accountability of your opponent, recognising the opposition showing awareness and the importance of the necessity to apply pressure at all times.

Don't get me wrong, I love our pressure and am fully behind Dimma indicating its integral to a winning style at RFC now however I think we have flare to and I think we might be a little like St Kilda defensively when they were challenging Geelong at their peak however I think, like Dimma said, our current team is unique and evolving. I think we are a little like Collingwood in terms of their premiership year beating the Saints in terms of their rotations versus our revolutionary small forward line and playing style

Last edited:
In terms of a finals game plan that you can take to the bank year after year + a group of players that will turn up and give it their best shot we are Sydney like - or at least it seems so.

Sydney have been there or thereabouts for a long time. that isn't COLA, that's quality management. If we can keep our current approach going we will stay up the top and hopefully win a premiership or two more (or 5). But it's that creating and managing an ongoing process to success. They'll be ups and downs. But with a good process and a good people we will stay up.

When you lose the process (Pies with Eddie and Nafe, Blues with paper bags and quick fixes) and don't have good people then you stay garbage for many long time. Long may it continue :thumbsu::rainbow:

Great post mate!

Not keen on being compared to Sydney.

They have been handed concessions and they hate the undeniable truth of that.

Their management definately are and most of their fans are arrogant self righteous flogs and wearing red looks completely shi*house.

If I'm starved of watching live footy in Sydney I'd go to a GWS game - that's how much I hate Sydney and the eastern suburb flogs that go to their games.

If you go to a Swans game and sit in the stands amongst them and barrack loudly for the tigers - they look at you like you've committed a crime. My response has always been to TURN UP THE VOLUME TO 11!!!!!!

They boo any player not in that stupid red but god help you if you (once) booo Goodes or buddy. That's racism.

Their no dickhead policy is BS made up by a Sydney dickhead.

Their management definately are and most of their fans are arrogant self righteous flogs and wearing red looks completely shi*house.

If I'm starved of watching live footy in Sydney I'd go to a GWS game - that's how much I hate Sydney and the eastern suburb flogs that go to their games.

If you go to a Swans game and sit in the stands amongst them and barrack loudly for the tigers - they look at you like you've committed a crime. My response has always been to TURN UP THE VOLUME TO 11!!!!!!

They boo any player not in that stupid red but god help you if you (once) booo Goodes or buddy. That's racism.

For God's sake, tell us what you really think!

:p

There’s no Cola for us mate, and we don’t mind kicking a score, two major differences there, oh and we have only been broke once, not five times

There’s no cola here. Here there’s no cola, alright? Cola, no, Robbo?

Robbo: No cola.

sorry. :oops:

When I lived up near Sydney I got a couple of tickets to a Swans game through a supplier at work and it happened to be when we came up, in 2000. A Swans mate from work went with me and we were sitting in the Ladies Stand, pretty much a Swans members area. We won a close one and it was one of my favourite moments ever at the footy to stand at the siren, thrust my scarf in the air and scream "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAH!!" in amongst all the Red and White plebs!!!

Delicious

When I lived up near Sydney I got a couple of tickets to a Swans game through a supplier at work and it happened to be when we came up, in 2000. A Swans mate from work went with me and we were sitting in the Ladies Stand, pretty much a Swans members area. We won a close one and it was one of my favourite moments ever at the footy to stand at the siren, thrust my scarf in the air and scream "YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAH!!" in amongst all the Red and White plebs!!!

I was at the game in 2015 where we won by a couple of goals - same, given tickets in the stands amongst Swans.

When Buddy got reported for a high bump on Edwards I went off and told then in no uncertain terms that Buddy was about to take a holiday. The locals weren't happy to say the least. How dare I call Buddy out for a cheap shot.

They were all over us and the Swans supporters were as smug as anything as they were 5 goals up into the 3rd quarter.

Then Tippett elbowed Grimes with a cheapshot and I started to fire up big time.

We ended up running all over them and when Ivan soccered the sealer I went (further) nuts and was jumping around like a madman. My hands were throbbing after smashing them together in the last few minutes and after the siren.

Swans supporters giving me the evil eye as they waddled away disappointed in their red tracksuits.

Of course in 2016 it was a different story - best to forget that one.

I was at the game in 2015 where we won by a couple of goals - same, given tickets in the stands amongst Swans.

When Buddy got reported for a high bump on Edwards I went off and told then in no uncertain terms that Buddy was about to take a holiday. The locals weren't happy to say the least. How dare I call Buddy out for a cheap shot.

They were all over us and the Swans supporters were as smug as anything as they were 5 goals up into the 3rd quarter.

Then Tippett elbowed Grimes with a cheapshot and I started to fire up big time.

We ended up running all over them and when Ivan soccered the sealer I went (further) nuts and was jumping around like a madman. My hands were throbbing after smashing them together in the last few minutes and after the siren.

Swans supporters giving me the evil eye as they waddled away disappointed in their red tracksuits.

Of course in 2016 it was a different story - best to forget that one.
Yeah, don't know anything about 2016, hahaha!!!
Because I grew up in country Vic I only went to the footy once as a kid, in 1983. My first Tiger victory was at the SCG in 1995, sitting right near the cheer squad. It was the day Richo did his knee but it was still a fantastic win! It is still a great memory. If you watch that game you can see me going nuts when Daffy kicks pretty much the winning goal, a snap from 50 out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back