News Richmond Board proudly sponsoring Hannah Burchell in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Hannah Burchell becomes our second sponsored AFLW player.

1578012849654.png

For those unaware Hannah is a mad Tiger just like the rest of us so she really is living the dream.

1578012968801.png
1578013030013.png

From Ocean Grove, Hannah started her football journey with Newtown & Chilwell Football Club which led to a place in the Geelong VFLW side playing in all 31 games in seasons 2017 and 2018. Hannah was then drafted as a pre-listed free agent by the Geelong AFLW side in August 2018 and made her 2019 AFLW debut in R7 against GWS in Canberra. Unfortunately Hannah's season was hampered by quad injuries, the first in her first week of preseason.

Hannah was signed by Richmond as a delisted free agent in April 2019 and while another injury playing with Richmond VFLW in R8 of the 2019 season restricted Hannah to just 3 appearances the injury was at the end of June giving Hannah time to be fit for the 2020 AFLW season.

A strong two way runner who is clean by hand or foot, looking forward to seeing Hannah in yellow and black tearing up and down the ground burning off opponents during the 2020 AFLW season.

We will be cheering you on Hannah!

Not only is it a fantastic effort in generating enough funds to support one AFLW player but to be able to sponsor a second is an awesome result. Well done to those who contributed to not only our AFLW sponsorships but also to those who pitched in for our AFL players as well.

Last edited:
An article on Hannah from 2018 by Hannah Kenny (hannahkennyweb.com)
Love how the article which is mainly about her making her AFLW debut with Geelong describes Hannah as "A proud Richmond supporter"
Think we can see what her real dream was. :)

A new beginning for Hannah Burchell

October 8, 2018

HANNAH BURCHELL is set to debut in the 2019 AFLW with the Geelong Cats’ inaugural women’s team, a dream come true for the 23-year-old from Ocean Grove.
The paramedicine student was lost for words when VFL coach Paul Hood offered her a place in the league, awarded ‘best reaction’ for her tearful response.
40243246_2176289579079521_8267714639236694016_o-301x300.jpg

Hannah’s loved to play footy from a young age.
Having played football since she was six-years-old, Burchell wasn’t confident that an elite pathway would eventuate into a possibility for women.
“I’ve longed for it to be normal,” she said.
“I was the only girl in Ocean Grove’s AusKick team.”
“I won a Best and Fairest for under 12’s with all the boys and then I couldn’t continue with the under 14’s team. I was pretty devastated.”
“Mum attempted to get my interest into soccer and basketball but I just loved footy so much. I followed the AFL from a young age … I was a bit of a tomboy.”
Following a successful second season of women’s football this year, Burchell is excited to see more teams joining the line-up for 2019.
A proud Richmond supporter, she remains positive about signing at the Cattery after playing with their VFL side since 2016.
“Having an AFLW team drives people to higher standards so I’ve formed really good friendships in the club, especially this year,” she said.
Screen-Shot-2018-10-08-at-7.17.53-PM-326x300.png

Hannah (left) with her best friend, Gabrielle McKeown (right).
“You naturally develop a good comradery among the team.”
“I couldn’t see myself anywhere else.”
Gabrielle McKeown met Burchell through AusKick 13 years ago and the pair have remained friends ever since.
Aware of how much the opportunity means to her, McKeown can’t wait to see her oldest friend play professionally.
“Hannah has always been very athletic and dominated all sports she tried her hand at,” she said.
“But football has always been her chosen sport. I think for Han, she never thought she’d be able to play AFL because she’s a female and now it’s becoming a reality.”
“It’s huge and amazing to watch.”

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back