Prediction Richmond can & will win the flag in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Looked to have found the spark on Sunday. Dimma said we’ve been working hard the past few weeks on our off the ball work which is what’s been lacking the most. Was better against the saints but still needed work, and a fair bit better this week. The injuries will be a blessing and will inject some urgency into the playing group.

Watching us play the last 3 weeks, it reminded me of a side going through preseason matches.(Collingwood game was an outlier, that’s was adrenaline of the first game back against a worthy opponent). I think we were underdone, whether by design or not, I won’t speculate. But we all know that we like to time our runs for seasons end. The Melbourne game was the first game our pressure seemed afl standard but skills were still scratchy. Reckon you’ll see us start improving markedly even with our outs over the next few weeks as we’ve hit the required intensity/fitness levels now.

Looked to have found the spark on Sunday. Dimma said we’ve been working hard the past few weeks on our off the ball work which is what’s been lacking the most. Was better against the saints but still needed work, and a fair bit better this week. The injuries will be a blessing and will inject some urgency into the playing group.

Watching us play the last 3 weeks, it reminded me of a side going through preseason matches.(Collingwood game was an outlier, that’s was adrenaline of the first game back against a worthy opponent). I think we were underdone, whether by design or not, I won’t speculate. But we all know that we like to time our runs for seasons end. The Melbourne game was the first game our pressure seemed afl standard but skills were still scratchy. Reckon you’ll see us start improving markedly even with our outs over the next few weeks as we’ve hit the required intensity/fitness levels now.
After the Hawks loss I reminded gleeful friends gobbing off and concerned Tiger mates that we are coached by Bart Cummings. His horses have to run in the Turnbull Stakes, but he couldn't give a * if they win it, as long as they qualify for the Cup. Come Cup day, they're timed to the minute.

Do you think anyone else could win a Melbourne Cup with Rogan Josh or a flag with Castagna at centre-half-forward?

It's nice to face the Swans with our depleted squad, and start to build some momentum.

Dimmas presser was very positive about moving into the hub, and playing the kids. He genuinely seemed excited about having to play some of the younger guys. I reckon guys like CCJ and RCD will get some game time. Last year was a good learning experience for this year.

I regard this as a non season. An asterisk. I've barely posted this year because its all so empty and uninvolving.

Footy without crowds is nothing.

Am I alone in being totally turned off by the bloodless stuff non-crowd footy is?
To answer in a Gaelic fashion - I don't feel unlike that, but wouldn't another flag be yellow (and black)?

Yeah it was when Dimma mentioned the off the ball work that I realised why we looked so flat in the previous weeks.

When we're playing well everyone is buzzing around off the ball, being active.

Sunday games are s**t
How am I supposed to get legless drunk?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sunday games are sh*t
How am I supposed to get legless drunk?
It's great now. Call in sick. Takes 2-3 days to get a covid test result back. No certificate needed from doctor as nobody will see you any more. When you get tested just make up a symptom. They don't give a *. So end up with 2 to 3 days off paid sick leave. The Australian way.

I know I like to joke around and take the mickey out of other teams, posters etc but time for a serious post:

I can see our season imploding from this week. I seriously don't feel like we are travelling that well at all. We have some really tough games ahead and even though I feel like the team is putting in more effort than they did in rounds 2 to round 4, I still think we are playing in spurts and the shortened games is having an impact on our ability to grind teams down.

In saying that I don't believe our fitness levels are anywhere near good enough either and our handpassing, which usually is a weapon, are just missing too many targets or putting team mates under even more pressure.

Players I'm concerned about:

Stack - where's the toughness gone? last season he was crashing bodies and willing to run all day, now he is just happy to look for the easy possession.
Jack Riewoldt - Time is catching up to him I'm afraid, he is a very smart player but he really is struggling. I cant help hope its due to the way the game is played, short quarters and massive flooding happening atm making it tough for him to play his natural game, still I just want ot see him do well
Rioli - Whats going on with this guy, never been a high possession earner but looked dangerous when ever he did get it, right now he just looks disinterested which is really surprising because I thought his game in round 1 against Carlton was bloody great.
Castagna - love George but again he just looks half interested, running around into the places the ball isnt and when he does come near it, he isn't clean at all, usually i could handle the bad kick but his handpassing this season is just as shithouse.

Before the Game against Sydney

Short & Baker - these 2 were struggling as well, was really glad to see the games they both played over the weekend and hope they keep it up.

We have some really tough games coming up real soon, Brisbane in Brisbane, West Coast in Perth in what will be a pack stadium after 1st of August, a much improved Fremantle in Perth as well (we should win but wont be easy) a more confident Port Adelaide & Essendon, Geelong, GWS.

Some people will find my post annoying and fair enough, but I don't have a good feeling about this at all. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I know I like to joke around and take the mickey out of other teams, posters etc but time for a serious post:

I can see our season imploding from this week. I seriously don't feel like we are travelling that well at all. We have some really tough games ahead and even though I feel like the team is putting in more effort than they did in rounds 2 to round 4, I still think we are playing in spurts and the shortened games is having an impact on our ability to grind teams down.

In saying that I don't believe our fitness levels are anywhere near good enough either and our handpassing, which usually is a weapon, are just missing too many targets or putting team mates under even more pressure.

Players I'm concerned about:

Stack - where's the toughness gone? last season he was crashing bodies and willing to run all day, now he is just happy to look for the easy possession.
Jack Riewoldt - Time is catching up to him I'm afraid, he is a very smart player but he really is struggling. I cant help hope its due to the way the game is played, short quarters and massive flooding happening atm making it tough for him to play his natural game, still I just want ot see him do well
Rioli - Whats going on with this guy, never been a high possession earner but looked dangerous when ever he did get it, right now he just looks disinterested which is really surprising because I thought his game in round 1 against Carlton was bloody great.
Castagna - love George but again he just looks half interested, running around into the places the ball isnt and when he does come near it, he isn't clean at all, usually i could handle the bad kick but his handpassing this season is just as shithouse.

Short & Baker - these 2 were struggling as well, was really glad to see the games they both played over the weekend and hope they keep it up.

We have some really tough games coming up real soon, Brisbane in Brisbane, West Coast in Perth in what will be a pack stadium after 1st of August, a much improved Fremantle in Perth as well (we should win but wont be easy) a more confident Port Adelaide & Essendon, Geelong, GWS.

Some people will find my post annoying and fair enough, but I don't have a good feeling about this at all. I hope I'm wrong.
Yeah I agree I think we will be s**t this season but I’m not overly fussed.

Agree with your post mostly (but nothing specific about the team overall), except this. Short & Baker have been quite good... Short was one of the best on ground last game. Short was quite good this game, too. Baker has been attacking the ball and play hard from half back and been pushing himself through all season so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back